Thread: Are there any links to medical studies re meat & dairy nutrition?

Default Are there any links to medical studies re meat & dairy nutrition?

Hi all,

My friend has just been advised to eat more meat and dairy due to his low calcium and iron levels. I have tried to tell him that it's all pants but I'm a biased vegan don't you know, and his doctor is... a DOCTOR!

Please help me out if you know anything. Prior to this my friend was slowly cutting all animal products out of his diet.

Cheers,

Jo

Default Re: Are there any links to medical studies re meat & dairy nutrition?

Hello - you could look on the vegan society website where they have pages listing vegan sources of these nutrients.
    http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...n/calcium.aspx
    http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...tion/iron.aspx

As you probably know the effectiveness of dairy produce as a calcium source is rather controversial. It is discussed a bit here http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/bones and there are some references to peer-reviewed journal articles - I expect you could find some more recent ones though.

Thanks harpy, will give those a gander. Yes, it's the journal articles I'm more interested in because if I direct him to info on vegan sites he'll no doubt roll his eyes in mild distrust. Pah.

You should also inform your friend that doctors are doctors NOT dietitians or nutritionists. Most doctors have had very limited training with regards to diet/nutrition. I posted more info in this thread.

Hi,
    There are lots of references to medical studies on meat/dairy products in our subforum called Animal products and health.

his doctor is... a DOCTOR
    Although doctors are generally known for their lack of knowledge about diet and nutrition, he could still be right. It's just that he isn't.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

What's really annoying is that my friend told the doctor he was vegetarian, and still the doctor tells him to eat meat. Tis not justifiable.

Thanks for the links