Thread: Some vegetarians beat a ‘humane’ retreat back to meat

Default Some vegetarians beat a ‘humane’ retreat back to meat

I seriously don't understand this. We become Vegan because we believe that eating animal products is wrong right? And just because an animal has a good life doesn't make dying for our appetite ok... I really seriously hope I stay a Vegan the rest of my life....I couldn't bare it if I started eating meat again, I would feel like I let not only my self down but the world and animals as well....

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43549229
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Rocket Queen

Default Re: Some vegetarians beat a ‘humane’ retreat back to meat

I don't like that.Feel exactly same as you.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

This is nonsense as far as I'm concerned. How do you go from being vegan to becoming a butcher? It's unimaginable.

Updated link HERE - the original link no longer works.

'Humane' meat is as much an oxymoron as would be 'humane' cannibalism/racism/sexism/slavery/child labour/rape/murder/genocide/etc - so far as I can see.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

leedsveg

I too totally agree with you Missbettie.

lv

What an unfortunate article. I wonder how correct the statement is about vegetarians returning to omnivorism (yes I invented a word). Unfortunately it is all it takes to sway people who are on the fence. I mean "its on the news so it must be true". I am happy with my choice and I hope to change a lot of other people's minds, but this kind of reporting does dishearten me a little. Not too much though

Just a question though to those who want to answer. Why do you believe eating animal products is wrong? I mean we say it but why do we say it. For me it is because we are all living beings inhabiting this existence and deserve the same right to live. There are carnivorous animals out there, but we are FAR from it. As I get the same (and easier to digest) nutrients from a plant based diet, I see no need to even consider eating animals.
    Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them.
    We live by the death of others. We are burial places. -LDV
    I choose not to be.

For me its simple. If I can survive without harming someone else why wouldn't I?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I always think of War Of The Worlds...the horrific scenes of humans being rounded up and slaughtered, like a Fall harvest or something. How is what we do to animals any different? Of course I have many reasons for being vegan, but that at least forces me to put myself in the animals' positions. And who knows, maybe there are superior beings (in terms of intelligence), who could invade us and treat us like food...and we'd have the nerve to insist on rights for our kind after we did the same thing to so many other living beings...and laughed at the idea of giving them rights.

"The Ethical Butcher"? That's a joke, right? *facepalm*

There seems to be a ton of veggies out there who aren't opposed to killing animals, per se, but are against factory farming. This guy seems like that, very anti-industry but not anti-murder.

It is unfortunate, and like AzureAngel said, it's just going to sway people into thinking that killing is all good and dandy, and vegans are misled, or wishy-washy.
    www.happy-vegan.com

What really sucks is that his "friends" organized a "bacon intervention."

Don't think I could ever forgive someone who did that. I remember going to a birthday party when I was about 13, and the birthday girl was a strict vegan. As a joke, one of her friends gave her a huge salami. She wept. It was awful.

As far as why eating animals is wrong: I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I obviously don't think eating animals in general is wrong, in that I have no problem with carnivores of other species chasing down their pray, ripping them apart with their own teeth/claws, and devouring the entire animal, bloody and raw. If we ate our meat in such a fashion, I might reconsider our status as omnivores

For me, the violence and cruelty of raising and slaughtering animals is so hideous as to be ethically intolerable. Furthermore, the assumption that our species is elevated above the rest is necessary if we are to continue to eat animals. I don't buy into that assumption. Every member of every species is here to pursue it's own destiny, and our practice of enslaving animals is reproachable and inexcusable under any circumstances. I believe the practice perpetuate violence in our world on every level.

I really could go on and on and on, but bottom line is that we have no right to enslave and slaughter animals, and most of all, we're not meant to eat them in the first place.

The part about "ethical omnivorism" being a "liberating conscience-saver" just smacks of the easy cop-out mentality that keeps people eating meat in the first place. People don't want to know where their food comes from because then they'd have to feel bad about it and, God forbid, do something about it.

i thought about eating meat the other day. I was with family and we were out celebrating a graduation. We went out to eat and of course I couldn't eat anything there. Even the salad came with cheese. I wasn't enjoying myself with my family and was getting frustrated that I couldn't do simple things like go out with a large portion of my family to eat. I almost said forget it but I realized if I have to resort to eating meat to have a good time with them, then there has to be more of problem than just food. I held out and I don't think it will come that close again. I hate that I ALMOST let that moment get the best of me. I can see from that article that people tell themselves things to make eating meat ok. Now that I caught myself almost doing the same thing I can stop myself again If need be.

I think the hardest thing to pass up on is sharing cake with my daughter on our birthdays since we share the day. I haven't found a vegan cake for sale anywhere.

Dumile,

I applaud you for your openness in sharing that 'weak moment' of yours and of course am very happy that you did not succumb.

Cake I do not see as a huge problem - even myself, who never tried his hand at baking, has managed to bake a vegan cake, so you might just try that - great bonding experience with your daughter

Best regards,
    Andy

Yes, well done for overcoming the temptation, Dumile. I expect you will be mentally prepared from now on!

Like Andy, I'm useless at baking but I have been known to make cakes. If you have a Whole Foods near you they are also worth a try for vegan cakes. The ones here in the UK have them, anyway.

One think I thought when I read the article - they say that 'the majority of vegetarians go back to eating meat'.

What exactly does that mean? My guess is that sure, if you count everybody who has tried for 2 weeks not to eat meat and goes back, then you can say that 'the majority goes back'. But I really would like to see how they calculated that figure. IMO, if you are a true vegan for ethical reasons, then I guess it is very hard to consider going back to eating animal carcasses. Maybe not what I would consider that 'ethical butcher' to be, tattoo or not.

Best regards,
    Andy

I can appreciate the pressures that arise when celebrating with family. This past week we had a luau with lots of family. In order to be thoughtful, people bought "vegetarian" dishes with me in mind. They seemed hurt when I wouldn't eat them (cuz they weren't vegan). And for the cake, I was given the task of ordering a sheet cake (with no intention of eating it of couse), but what's kinda silly is the lady asked if I wanted dairy-free frosting. I'm like, "Oh, is the cake dairy-free?" She said, "No."

Quote Dumile View Post
    I think the hardest thing to pass up on is sharing cake with my daughter on our birthdays since we share the day. I haven't found a vegan cake for sale anywhere.
    Have you seen this: http://www.jamveganbakery.com/JAMVeganBakery/Home.html
    They are in Los Angeles and might be an option if you don't like to bake yourself.
    There might be more vegan bakeries in LA but this is the first that came up in google.

rhinokitty

There is a group called Neighbors Opposed to Backyard Slaughter that is calling out "humane" meat farmers. Most of them really don't care much about animals, since they plan to eat them they must be detached emotionally. This leads to neglect and abuse.

http://noslaughter.org/

Thanks for the post rhinokitty! I know a lot of people out in my state get around the agriculture rules by claiming the animals as "pets". What they don't realize is when they make that distinction if they slaughter or mistreat them there are serious penalties with the law. I just don't think enough local law enforcement cares enough about chickens or goats. :-\