Thread: Primary Schools

Default Primary Schools

I have just started looking into Primary schools for myson. one: I do NOT feel old enough to have a child starting primary school next year! Two: he's still my baby, end of an era, it's making me broody again etc etc and three: I don't really know what I'm looking for!

I've narrowed it down to three that seem good. All have good ofsted reports. But when I go and look round them, what sorts of things should i be asking about/looking for? Any advice would be really appreciated.

(Also some advice on how to deal with MY seperation anxiety over the whole thing. I know he'll be fine lol!)

Default Re: Primary Schools

While trying to get pregnant, I was a locum chef; was in many school and nurseries: you'd be amazed what goes on out of parents view. With my own child, I have slipped in quietly not wishing to interrupt and witnessed less-than-professional behavior. Also overheard at the garden fence. I'm not even the prying type!

This has lead me to scoff at school mission statements and 'ethos' (whatever that translates to). I chose the closest school. In the end, if my daughter got on well with her classmates and I could communicate with the teacher then I was satisfied.
    I would have considered a school with a dodgy Ofsted report: they really make an effort to improve!

My advice? Chat to parents at the school gate. Find out where the kids love their school. Reception and first year are often separate entities so issues with other years may not apply.

Your anxiety? Start imagining your child as the greatest gift you will ever give to this world and how you want to share him.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Default Re: Primary Schools

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Your anxiety? Start imagining your child as the greatest gift you will ever give to this world and how you want to share him.
    hahah!
    Yeah, I'm quite glad that I don't actually work behind the scenes at a school. I'd hate to be disillusioned about what staff are *really* like when parents aren't there!

NB: obviously, I'm not saying that all staff are terrible. but some, well they are. Plus, i like beleiving that everyone who meets my child is absolutely in love with them and thinks the sun shines out of their derriere!