Thread: UK cookbooks?

Default UK cookbooks?

Most of my vegan cookbooks are American. Which is you know, fine, except that having to translate everything from cups to grams or ounces is a pain. And also, there are never any pictures. And they seem to have ingredients that are more difficult to get hold of (nutritional yeast powder).
    Plus, sometimes I just want to look up chickpeas in the index, not garbanzo beans.

Can anyone recomend any decent UK cookbooks?

Default Re: UK cookbooks?

I know Rose Elliot has a vegan book, but I don't think it has any pictures.
    I know its irritating everything being in US English but I guess its an incentive for us non-US vegans to write cookbooks in our languages!
    I'm able to get nutritional yeast here in Ireland, and the brand I get is from the UK, Engevita, so you should be able to track it down in health food shops or online.
    Houmous atá ann!

You should be able to get Enegvita quite easily (Your location says Preston, there is a health food shop in Guildhall street that I think sells it - I live about 20 mins away so I sometimes shop there).

This book uses all UK measurements and I think there is a new Vegan with a vengeance in UK measurements.
    I have 34 cookbooks so I will look through them tomorrow (I'm going to anyway) and I will post a list of all the ones with UK measurements!

Can't recommend any with UK measurements as the last ones I bought were years ago and to be honest are a bit naff, but if it helps I've got sets of cup measures from Poundland. I quite like using measuring cups now.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I did acutally buy an american cups scale measurer thing from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product. But i have actually only used it once, as I just find it a bit faffy. Might have to look for a poundland near me and see if they've got any measuring cups. Can't have too many kitchen gadgets!

As promised:

These are not all UK books, but the measurements are UK (or UK and US).

The Complete Book of Vegan Cooking: Everything You Need to Know About Going Vegan - Tony & Yvonne Bishop-Weston
    Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites - Celine Steen & Joni-Marie Newman
    Skinny bitch in the kitch - Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin
    The Vegan Boulangerie - Marianne & Jean-Michel
    A Selection of our Favourite Recipes by Solihull Animal Aid
    Vegan Cake Book - Animal aid
    The Cake Scoffer - Ronny (some of the recipes are UK measurements)
    The Return of the Cake Scoffer - Ronny (some of the recipes are UK measurements)
    The Breakfast Scoffer - Ronny (some of the recipes are UK measurements)
    How it all Vegan - Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer - this is the UK version (think the US version may use US measurements)
    Vegan with a Vengeance - Isa Chandra Moskowitz - this is the UK version (think the US version may use US measurements)
    The Vegan Table - Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
    Babycakes - Erin McKenna this is the version with UK measurements
    Terre a Terre - Amanda Powley and Phil Taylor - not all recipes are vegan - but those that are seem good
    A Vegan Taste of France - Linda Majzlik and Amanda Henriques

I usually use www.bookkoob.co.uk to find the cheapest place, or http://www.bookdepository.co.uk is usually cheaper than amazon.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I know Rose Elliot has a vegan book, but I don't think it has any pictures.
    Rose Elliot Vegan Feasts is really good.

Not a fan of American food myself so although we have some cookbooks and cup measures it barely gets a look in.

Quote Risker View Post
    Not a fan of American food myself so although we have some cookbooks and cup measures it barely gets a look in.
    I'm the same, to be honest. So the recipe book I actually end up using the most is my ringbinder with recipes torn out of magazines and off the internet, which i then veganize!

Doesn't stop me buying qa new cookbook every couple of months though! lol

I very highly recommend 'Another Dinner is Possible' by Mike and Isy for practical, everyday vegan cooking. It's a physically nice, fairly large ringbound book. Of the many cookbooks I own, I use this one by far the most on a day to day basis.

I think it would be much more popular, except it's published by an obscure publisher and not much advertised. I came across it last year at a vegan event in a squat in East London. But, you can also buy it on Amazon ...

Quote michaelt View Post
    I very highly recommend 'Another Dinner is Possible' by Mike and Isy for practical, everyday vegan cooking. It's a physically nice, fairly large ringbound book. Of the many cookbooks I own, I use this one by far the most on a day to day basis.

I think it would be much more popular, except it's published by an obscure publisher and not much advertised. I came across it last year at a vegan event in a squat in East London. But, you can also buy it on Amazon ...
    I've just ordered this online for £9 plus p&p from http://www.activedistribution.org/ it was £60+ for a used one on Amazon!!
    Anarchist Teapot also have a PDF on cooking for 100+ people

'Another Dinner is Possible' arrived and I am really pleased with it. Sticky Date Pudding from it tonight

Thank you, have ordered another dinner is possible!

Most of my books are veggie and I veganise the recipes but I've got a couple of Rose Elliot ones and How it all vegan too!

diy-girlie

Another dinner is possible is a fecking great cookbook. The only cookbook I have and use really.

I made the marble blueberry cake yesterday from Another Dinner is Possible - it was really good, had a lovely almost crunchy topping too (not burnt, lol!) that was sweeter than the rest of the cake, wierd! Didn't get as far as putting the icing sugar on when it had cooled though as we'd all eaten most of it by then! Big success!