Thread: Donating to medical charities.

Default Donating to medical charities.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this.
    Yesterday was the funeral of a good friend's 4 week old baby who died of Cystic Fibrosis. Instead of flowers, they asked everyone to donate to Cystic Fibrosis Trust and they held fundraisers throughout the day for the trust. I think they will be doing a lot of campaigning for the charity over the coming months.
    There is a clear conflict here between wanting to help my friends and my vegan ethics and I'd really appreciate any thought you have on this.

Default Re: Donating to medical charities.

Sorry to hear about your friends. Dr Hadwen Trust has funded non animal research into cystic fibrosis, maybe you could see if they're doing anything in that area currently and contribute to that? If you know the people well perhaps they would be ok with that?

Default Re: Donating to medical charities.

^ Yeah that.

I always politely explain why I won't support animal testing, and promise to donate to the Dr Hadwen Trust instead. So many people have an emotional reason behind wanting you to donate (Cancer Research because they lost their grandma to cancer, BHF because their dad had a heart attack, etc) that there's never going to be an 'easy' time to take a stand. Once you think that you'll just go along with it this once because it's a difficult situation, it's much harder to do what you know is right next time. As you know, it's not just that animal testing is wrong, it's also inaccurate and IMO a waste of money raised.

By the way for anyone else interested, I know this has been shared before but here's a link to Animal Aids list of charities and whether or not they are involved with animal testing. http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...ments/ALL/281/

I'm sorry to hear that too.

My fiancee had a similar scenario not long ago. Her friend was running for one of the cancer charity/trusts as her mother has cancer. She wanted donations but my fiancee didn't want to donate as she doesn't agree with that charity/trust funding research and testing on animals.

My fiancee told her friend and she understood. My fiancee's friend does however understand that my fiancee is a strict vegan.