Thread: Easy Asian Vegan cookbook - out now on Amazon kindle

Default Easy Asian Vegan cookbook - out now on Amazon kindle

Hello everyone!

Let me introduce/re-introduce myself. I am a member here since early 2010 and was relatively active in participating in some of the threads here. The reason for my absence for quite some time was, I went to Asia and also got busy about some things.

One of the things I got busy about was writing a cookbook. The cookbook was at first to be published by a friend of a friend who has a small publishing house in the U.S., publishing eastern religious text/philosophy (he is a professor ) but after 9 months decided for a few reasons that he cannot do it; one reason cited being the high cost of printing a book with so many colour pictures. I was so disappointed because I started writing it in 2009. I thought about what I will do, lumbered with a project I invested so much of my time. Luckily I was able to get someone to edit it for me and I decided the way of the future is the way to go.

Therefore I am happy to announce that my cookbook Easy Asian Veganrecipes for everyday and any occasion is out now on Amazon Kindle.

Ready to purchase here at only $4.99!

Actually, they are available for purchase on Kindle devices and Kindle apps for free from amazon for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, and Android-based devices.

If you are a member of Kindle Owners’ Lending Library I allowed that you can borrow it for a certain number of days for free.

[IMG][/IMG]

Easy Asian vegan is a 200 page book with more than 80 recipes from India and Southeast Asia for breakfast, of desserts, soup, rice, lentil and beans, noodles, vegetables and beverage. All the recipes featured in the book are recipes I use to cook our everyday food – so they have been tested many times over! Most of the foods cooked from the recipes have colour pictures and there are interesting feature pictures of food plants not so known by westerners I externally sourced.

You can have a sneak preview of the book by clicking the thumbnail of the book cover on amazon site. If you have any queries my email address is on the sample.

A summary of what is in the book and something about me.

Easy Asian Vegan is a collection of easy to make vegan dishes for everyday and any occasion. It is for vegans, vegetarians and everyone who wants to put cooking at the front rather than on the back burner of their daily lives. So this book is to help them try their hands at Asian cooking and achieve quality cooking results without too much fuss.

I chose the recipes for this book for their ease of preparation, simple methodology, quick cooking, variety in taste and texture, and using ingredients which are widely available in the local supermarkets.

The recipes featured in this book are my collection of recipes accumulated during my over two decades of being a vegetarian/vegan starting when I served as a vegetarian cook in several Hare Krishna yoga ashrams in the 1980′s. This yoga group was one of the first groups to establish vegetarian restaurants in the west in the 1960’s which brought to the westerners the sumptuous dishes of India. Additionally many recipes here date back to my childhood as early as when I was 11 when I started cooking in the kitchen of my parent’s home in the Philippines.

The Filipino cooking has evolved over centuries to a mixed cuisine with Chinese and other Asian influences – and even Hispanic – which reflects the history of the country, starting with the settling of the Chinese migrants; followed by the Spanish colonization and then the impact of the Americans and commercial interactions with other peoples from foreign lands. Indeed you will find in this cookbook a sample of all these influences in one recipe or another.

And there are my own adaptations of various dishes that I’ve eaten somewhere in Asia, that I enjoyed so much that I want to eat them again, but maybe will not have the chance to pass the same way again in the near future, so I concocted what I believe were the recipes for those special dishes.

In the next few days I will be posting one of the recipes from my cookbook for you to try and hopefully you will be interested enough to buy it.

Thanks to Korn for letting me announce my book on here.

Thank you all for your time.
    Last edited by Jivattatva; Oct 28th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Respect for all living entities

Wow, that's really cool that you've written your own cookbook . I hope it does well!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Easy Asian Vegan cookbook - out now on Amazon kindle

Hi Blueberries

Thanks for your best wishes.

I felt that I had to write Easy Asian Vegan because I felt like I wanted to share my ideas about food to others and writing it down was like ideas taking on concrete shapes. I love reading cookbooks and knowing what cooks think. I like looking at the food pictures, even if I will not cook almost all of them.

The other reason I wrote it was that I wanted to let others know about the Philippines way of cooking; I was born and grew up there. There are Indian recipes in my cookbook and I know that many people are already familiar with Indian cooking but not familiar with Filipino cooking which developed from various influences.

The recipe below is from the cookbook, it's actually my adaptation of Indian curry. You can use any pumpkin but I prefer butternut (can't do anything about the name) because it has a sweet and nutty taste which lends well to this recipe. You notice that I use a few spices; these spices are the ones I commonly use in the recipes in the cookbook.

Pumpkin Curry

A minimalist curry but maximal in taste.

About 800 g butternut pumpkin (squash), peeled and cubed
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    1 x 400 ml can of coconut cream
    1/2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp dried basil leaves
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp chilli flakes
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp salt
    Water if needed

Heat the oil in a small pot over medium heat.
    Put turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, chilli flakes, cinnamon into the pot and fry spices for about 30 sec – 1 min.
    Add pumpkin and stir to coat pumpkin for about 1 mins.
    Add coconut cream, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper and basil leaves and stir.
    Cover pot with lid and simmer over medium heat for about 5 – 7 mins.
    Stir regularly.
    Watch over so it does not boil over.
    Serves 4

That sounds quite good and easy

Best regards,
    Andy

congratulation ! I think it is an other book to add to my ever increasing cookbook library lol . will it coem later on in other ebook format as I don't have kindle ?

Hi Syrius

Thanks for your greetings. Maybe you missed this sentence in my first post on this thread. They are available for purchase on Kindle devices and Kindle apps for free from amazon for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, and Android-based devices.

So yes, even if you don't have a kindle device you can still read it from other devices like your PC because you can get the Kindle application for free from amazon and install it easily on your PC to read the ebook.

Doesn't seem to be available in the UK kindle store, unless I'm missing something? That means I can't buy it

Hi Harpy

Long time no hear. Thanks for your query. It’s on the UK site too.

Here is the link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Asian-V...1413575&sr=8-1

If you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to send me a message.

Great, thank you. Have just bought one and will ask if I have any questions. Anything with "easy" in the title sounds good to me