Thread: looking for a good cookbook for a college student

Default looking for a good cookbook for a college student

Yes I do Christmas shopping all year round because my family is HUGE!!!!!! I am looking for an amazing cookbook for a student (my sister-in-law) who is in college. She is not currently vegan but has been vegetarian for a long time.....but since I am vegan I really wouldn't mind giving her a cookbook that will help nudge her in the correct direction. She once mentioned to me she would love to be vegan but all of her college friends who are live off just salad and cereal......soooo I just knew what I needed to get her. All of your suggestions will be much appreciated (:
    Tanya

I have a vegan student cookbook, I think it's called 'Student's go vegan cookbook' and to be honest I'm not mad on it, the recipes are a bit complicated for students and yet not really imaginative enough for people who like to cook. I know you're probably very busy and don't have the time to do this but you could make her a little zine or mini-book of really simple, basic vegan recipes with clear instructions. There's a PeTA vegan student cookbook as well, I don't own it but I'm sure there's probably a thread about on the forum somewhere.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: looking for a good cookbook for a college student

I have the PeTA college cookbook, it has some good recipes but it uses lots of processed foods (EG soya burgers etc), there is a thread here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...llege-Cookbook

I think I will put together a collection of recipes and get the PeTA cookbook thanks blueberries and firestorm <3
    Tanya

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Veganomicon or Vegan on $4 a day

Quote Syn Harvest View Post
    Veganomicon or Vegan on $4 a day
    I have Veganomicon and I love it but it has alot of unusual ingredients and complicated recipes that mightn't be accessible to students. Vegan on $4 a day I haven't tried so I'll let someone else chip in there
    Houmous atá ann!

I have never heard of those ones, I will have to check them out! Ty so much (:
    Tanya

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    I have Veganomicon and I love it but it has alot of unusual ingredients and complicated recipes that mightn't be accessible to students. Vegan on $4 a day I haven't tried so I'll let someone else chip in there
    Ya your right about Veganmicon it can certainly get complicated, but there are alot of recipes in there that are cheap and easy. I'm a student and I make a bunch of recipes out of it. That being said Vegan on $4 a day is definitely alot more novice friendly.

Quote Syn Harvest View Post

Ya your right about Veganmicon it can certainly get complicated, but there are alot of recipes in there that are cheap and easy. I'm a student and I make a bunch of recipes out of it.
    I suppose 'student' is a bit of a broad term, finding a cookbook for a student depends entirely on their resources (ie do they have a kitchen or have access to cheap ingredients) and their interest in cooking (do they cook as a hobby or just a necessitity). BellaTanie's s-i-l isn't vegan yet but is interested so I'd say the best thing for her would be some basic recipes that'd teach her how to cook, depending on her situation.
    Houmous atá ann!

There is also a book called 4 Ingredient Vegan. Seems quite good!

Hi Blueberries, you are quite right it was quite vague. She is a 3rd year culinary student and has a kitchen in her dorm that she shares with others. She enjoys cooking and is a vegetarian all ready so not having meat isn't an issue.....but I would still like the book to be vegan. Just to show her that vegans don't only have to eat cereal and salad like she is thinking. And Firestorm I just looked at the book, it looks simple enough! Ty!

- - - Updated - - -

I did see the Vegan on $4 a day and thought about checking that one out! Thank you so much for the student perspective Syn Harvest (:
    Tanya