Thread: Do vegans get the same results from a juice fast?

Wink Do vegans get the same results from a juice fast?

Hi! Before I ask my question I'm going to introduce myself!

I'm Meghan, and I've been a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years, and started a vegan diet about a month ago. I've wanted to become a vegan for awhile, but I never had the real push or had support from my parents (I still don't.) I became a vegan basically every reason, ethical, health, weight loss and basically I just didn't find dairy too appetizing anymore.

I've gained weight after becoming a vegetarian, I would get home from school and work and fill up on fried eggs, white pasta and cheddar cheese. Right now, I'm a size 14 and I really hoping after few months as a vegan I can get down to a 6, possibly even a 4, which neither I've never been able to fit into.

I was on a vegan diet for about a week and half, and I could tell the difference, I looked trimmer and I had SO much energy! I used to not be able to go through the day without a huge coffee and lots of diet coke, and now I don't have to drink even caffeine. I even worked for 30 hours over a weekend, worked out and wasn't tired, ONCE. I went to France for a week and a half, tasted all the cheese and pastries, broke out and gained weight. When I got home I started back up on veganism, didn't even use face wash and my acne cleared up in two days, and the weight dropped back down!

I leave for college in 35 days and want to drop about 15 pounds. On top of not eating animal products (except for the honey in my kashi cereal and raw non-commercial honey in my homemade salad dressing,) I'm not eating white flours, caffeine, white sugar, artificial sweeteners, fried foods or alcohol. On top of that, I work out at the gym for an hour and fifteen minutes along with bike rides and walks.

But down to what I wanted to ask, I watched this documentary today about people who did juice fasts and lost TREMENDOUS amounts of weight. But, these people all were eating high processed foods and meat as their diet. The first week of August, I'm going on a mission trip to West Virginia and half of my suitcase will be soy milk, kashi go-lean crunch, lara bars, apples and bananas. :P When I get back, I have 10 days before I leave for school and I want to do a juice fast during those 10 days (I already have a juicer!) Will I still be able to lose alot of weight even though my diet isn't complete shit?

Anyway, thanks and I'm excited to start here! I hope to get to know some of you soon!

Default Re: Do vegans get the same results from a juice fast?

Hello Meghan, and welcome to the forum!

I commend you on trying to change your nutrition to something that causes less suffering on animals and is also more healthy.
    However, I am not sure about your fixation with fast weight loss. You should try to follow a healthy and compassionate diet, and I guess the rest will come by itself.

I would suggest that you read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's 'Eat to live' which I consider to be a tremendous book on nutrition. He actually advocates limiting processed foods and grains (e.g. cereal, rice, bread) to one serving per day and eating vegetables, fruits and nuts to lose weight.

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi Meghan

I'm sorry to say when I went Vegan I didn't lose any weight. I'd always eaten pretty healthily and was a size 10/12 uk. I have put on weight since being vegan and also lost it again but that was because I tend to eat cake and biscuits which I make myself especially if I feel fed up. I suppose a lot depends what type of thing you are eating now but I'd say I don't think going vegan is going to help you lose weight unless you eat lots of really healthy stuff.

Clockwork

Quote meghan1993 View Post
    But down to what I wanted to ask, I watched this documentary today about people who did juice fasts and lost TREMENDOUS amounts of weight. But, these people all were eating high processed foods and meat as their diet. The first week of August, I'm going on a mission trip to West Virginia and half of my suitcase will be soy milk, kashi go-lean crunch, lara bars, apples and bananas. :P When I get back, I have 10 days before I leave for school and I want to do a juice fast during those 10 days (I already have a juicer!) Will I still be able to lose alot of weight even though my diet isn't complete shit?
    Hi Meghan! You're talking about the documentary "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" aren't you? I watched that one yesterday. Great film. Keep in mind that the people in that film were in the high 300's or over 400lbs in the weight category, so losing 100+ or 200+ pounds isn't going to happen for you because the weight just simply isn't there but the idea behind that juice fast isn't so different from a raw vegan diet. Even some of the more average Americans in that documentary lost 20-30 pounds on a 10 day juice fast. Pretty incredible results, and I don't see why it would be any different for you. May want to consult your doctor before beginning, though.

Veganish

I saw that documentary as well and am starting a 7 day juice fast next week. I think a problem some vegans have when it comes to losing weight is they fill their "meat" portions with carbs like breads and noodles instead of vegetables so they end up gaining or no losing any weight. I found a 7 day juice flast menu plan on google and plan on going by that. Please update on how you do!

Clockwork

Quote Veganish
    I found a 7 day juice flast menu plan on google and plan on going by that.
    You should post it!

Veganish

Here are the recipeshttp://www.superskinnyme.com/juicing-weight-loss-recipes.htmlMy phone isn't letting me post two links at once but google 7 day JM juice fast menu plan and it should come up. It's on the same site.I was able to do it for 29 hours. However let me warn after that I lived in the bathroom for a bit. Even just a day of it I feel very detoxed!