Thread: Asking Al Gore to be open about animal agriculture

Default Asking Al Gore to be open about animal agriculture

Greetings,

I am writing to let you know of a project my friends and I are working on to get Al Gore to start being more explicit about the role of animal agriculture in climate change than he has been. While he has done a great job awakening the world to the dangers of climate change, he continues to push people towards solutions like solar panels that are expensive, create their own environmental problems, and will take years to be widely adapted. Mr. Gore admits that animal agriculture makes enormous contributions to global warming, yet he refuses to let people know the simplest thing they can do to make a huge impact in the fight against climate change, which is the elimination or reduction of the consumption of animal products.

Our idea is very simple; to create video letters to Al Gore petitioning him to talk more openly about the role of animal agriculture in climate change. We believe this will be more effective than a written or online petition and at the very least; it will garner media attention and allow our message to get out to the public even if Mr. Gore ignores us. We call this project "Operation Missing Link." We have set up a website for this project at http://www.peoplepoweredpeace.org/op...n-missing-link where you can find out the details of the project as well as look at the videos that the project members have created thus far.

Mr. Gore is working on a project of his own, the "Climate Reality Project" scheduled to launch on September 14. Our goal is to have at 10,000 people all over the world to create their video messages to Al Gore before "Climate Reality Project" goes live.

I am asking you to create you own video letters to Al Gore for Operation Missing Link.

I am happy to answer any questions or concerns people may have about Operation Missing Link.

Here are some links within the site.

Default Activists ask Al Gore to get real about the role of animals in climate change.

Activists ask Al Gore to get real about the role of animal agriculture in climate change
    July 2011 – As Al Gore is preparing to launch his “Climate Reality Project,” a group of activists is asserting that he is ignoring the reality of animal agriculture’s impact on climate change. They have set out to solicit video messages to Al Gore to ask him to make the elimination or reduction of animal foods a key point in his message to highlight this important and simple step anyone can take to greatly reduce their environmental footprint. According to the United Nations, animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than all modes of transportation combined!
    Dubbed “Operation Missing Link” by its organizers, the project aims to have at least 10,000 video messages from people all over the world for Al Gore by the time Climate Reality Project launches on September 14.
    “People look to leaders like Al Gore for solutions,” said Kamal Prasad, one of the organizers of Operation Missing Link. “While solar panels and electric cars are great, they are outside the budgets of most people. But, everyone can change their diet, do it immediately and make a bigger impact than buying a new car. That simple message is getting lost in the rush to renewable energies, which require large investments of time, energy and money.”
    According to Prasad, Al Gore is aware of animal agriculture’s high emissions of greenhouse gases but will not broach the subject unless he is questioned about it. By maintaining this silence, Gore is keeping from his supporters the one bit of information that can significantly help the fight against global warming on a large scale.
    Indeed, as governments and industries struggle over regulations and how best to usher in the age of renewable energy, every day without action moves us closer to the tipping point of no return. By moving to a plant-based diet, one can take charge of their carbon footprint now, rather than waiting for the day when they will be able to afford solar panels or electric cars.
    Even with tax breaks and rebates, these technologies cost more out of pocket for anyone looking to lessen their environmental impact. And, given the financial crises that economies around the world are facing, it is doubtful that these financial incentives will last long. As the planet experiences more frequent extreme weather events, it is even more imperative that solutions, which can be implemented now by as many people as are willing to act, be openly and actively discussed.
    “By refusing to talk about animal agriculture, Mr. Gore is disregarding people who would be willing to make the change, provided they had all the information,” said Prasad. “Operation Missing Link hopes to change that.”
    Anyone interested in finding out more or participating in Operation Missing Link is encouraged to visit http://peoplepoweredpeace.org.
    ###
    Last edited by Korn; Jul 23rd, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Merged with a similar thread

Default Re: Asking Al Gore to be open about animal agriculture

Is there any information that is missing that may prevent people from being able to participate in Operation Missing Link? Let me know.

We have started an online petition for Operation Missing Link, in addition to the video campaign. Here is the link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/al-...limate-change/

I hope you will sign and share it.

Thanks,

Kamal

Does not Al Gore have a personal interest in the farming business? (which is why he will stay silent)
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

With the recent research exploding climate theory (CERNs work on cosmic rays and their influence on clkoud formation) I doubt we'll be hearing much from Al Gore anytime soon.

Quote maggielassie View Post
    Does not Al Gore have a personal interest in the farming business? (which is why he will stay silent)
    Consider the following scenario: Say a patient goes to a doctor with a life threatening illness. But it can be cured by a simple activity. But, the doctor doesn't recommend it to you because a.) he doesn't practice what he preaches b.) he doesn't think you will do it. Should the doctor recommend the treatment anyway? The obvious answer is yes. It is dependent upon the doctor to make the recommendation and the patient's choice whether to comply or not.

Al Gore is the poster child of climate change action. It does not matter what his personal beliefs are on the issue. Animal agriculture has been shown to have a dramatic impact on climate change. At the very least, Al Gore needs to let people who listen to him for guidance know this fact and that by eliminating or greatly reducing our consumption of animal products we can make a huge difference in the fight against climate change. When he does not, people who look up to him do not see animal agriculture as a significant problem.

That is why we created Operation Missing Link. I hope you will participate.

Well done Kamal.
    I will take a good look.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Operation Missing Link is featured on Care2, a social action network that empowers millions of people to lead a healthy, sustainable lifestyle and support socially responsible causes.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/mea...-the-link.html

splodge

I'm shocked by the lack of interest from this site. Personally I can't make a video because I have Aspergers and will just make vegans look weird. If I didn't I would have loved to help.

splodge

I just signed it. You don't need to make a video, just bloody sign it people.

Hi Splodge, thanks for signing the petition! It is much appreciated.

If people are shy about making videos, they can sign the petition (and share it!) but they can still contribute to the video project by making a slideshow of pictures like the following contributors have done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF00zn2bE2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONgScnFNJVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFtMQYNME0

Thanks

Kamal