Thread: (Rant) "I love animals"

BlackBow

Default (Rant) "I love animals"

Ok I understand we all unknowingly say things that we don't fully mean. For example you might say "I care so much about *insert friends name*" but you
    haven't talked to them in a month because you've been too lazy or busy, or you say "I love babies!" but deep down you know a few hours after babysitting one you
    will want to give it back and never see a baby again, just for some examples. But I get so irritated whene non vegans say "Oh I LOVE animals!"
    or when they complain about whaling or people who wear fur. I know that it IS very good they show an interest in issues such as whaling and stuff but I get
    so irritated and want to say "Oh you love animals, huh? Is that why you pay people to tortue hundreds of them in unimaginable way every year just because you want to eat their corpse? I'm sure
    the animals dying in factory farms are saying "Wow someone really must love and rescept me!"" Of course I never would do that cause that will make them never
    want to go vegan. It might make SOME people make a connection but it also might make them shut the vegan idea all together.
    So that's why I'm making this little rant. I have meat eating friends who say things that irk me. One was talking about how awful animal abuse is. BTW she was saying
    this while we were drving in her fully leather cloaked car -_-
    And my brother inlaw sometimes complains about animal testing. Besides the fact he EATS animals he wears old spice( they test on animals).
    And how can we forget the infamous "OMG PEOPLE IN ASIA EAT CATS AND DOGS :O OMGGG!!!!"
    Ok, yeah it's awful they do that but don't you eat pigs, turkeys,cows, chickens etc.?
    And this one girl I know REALLy irks me. She keeps saying "I LOVE MEAT" all the time randomly and "MEAT TASTE GOOD" (she's 10 so I brush it off but still) I know
    it's just to make me angry or hurt me or what ever and I plan to have a polite talk about it with her but it really irrtates me! And then she liked a page on facebook (I know ten year old shouldn't have facebook but she's not my kid) about respectign animals. Yet she things it's so cool to eat meat. That makes no sense.

HOW can you love someone only to have someone kill/tortue/beat/encage them so you can eat them? UGH!

OK I'm done with this rant for now.
    I feel better.
    BTW A little bro tip:
    If a friend does this they probaly do have some care for animals they just haven't made the connection. Try to help them in a calm manner. Atleast that's what I do and
    it helps for some people.

Default Re: (Rant) "I love animals"

I feel your frustration BlackBow, it's not always easy living with omnis in the omni world
    Houmous atá ann!

I was thinking the same thing earlier when my mom was watching Animal Cops on Animal Planet and was talking about how cruel the things people do on that show are.

And you should talk to that friend who you haven't talked to in almost a month.

BlackBow

No yo1 that was just an example lol.

I know exactly what you mean BB. If I think about it too much it messes with my head, the nicest people can be responsible for the most terrible things.

Good to rant every now and then... ...then plot against the hypocritical flesh-eaters! This forum has a trove of wisecracks and more subtle tidbits that can be doled out. Chipping away at the ignorant exterior of the average omni makes for quite a hobby. Good luck at it!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I hate it too. I know one girl in particular who really gets on my nerves. She claims to love animals and won't kill any animal in WoW or other video games because they're "cute, innocent creatures", yet she has no problem eating meat. She refuses to think about the fact that animals are killed for her to eat their flesh because, "meat is yummy" and "I need meat". It drives me insane and makes me so angry and sad.

Aah, it's so irritating to heart this! It happened to me a few times and I simply can't understand how some persons can be such hypocrite. I remember that 2 or 3 years ago, it was given a law here and it was started something called "the animal police". And, of course, they were there to protect just the animals which people call 'pets' and to punish those who abuse them. Okay, I agree that this is a good idea, in a way, but can't people see the hypocrisy in this? I mean, they're protecting just pets, but of course it's okay to eat the other animals, to wear them, etc. I imagine those people doing their job, punishing someone who was beating his pet or something, then going to their homes and eating a big steak ! How can they say they love animals, but they do not care about those who they're eating?!
    And, of course, there are those who(including some of the persons I know) say they love animals(and they mean only pets, but they say animals) and they have 3 or 4 dogs or cats, but they're eating or wearing another animal. I tried to make someone see this, but I didn't succeed. Anyway, it irritates me every time I hear this affirmation .
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

BlackBow I know exactly how you feel. I used to work at an animal welfare charity and found it to be the most rewarding yet infuriating job. For some of the people who worked there it was just a job so they really had very little interest in animals. Others said they cared for animals but ate meat and actually were very militant about it. So for instance when we were having a barbeque they complained and said they wanted meat. When there was only vegan or vegetarian food supplied they wouldn’t eat it and then would go out and get meat after. It seemed silly as surely they could go without meat for one meal. I found it all pretty depressing.

I did meet some lovely people though and the vegetarians and vegans at least had each other for moral support and to have a good old moan to.

It is so hypocritical when meat-eaters keep saying that they love animals and refuse to analyse the oppressive system that conditioned them to put meat on their plate.

Also, why someone moaning about fur when they wear leather? I know, consciousness sometimes takes tiny baby steps but, like you BlackBow, it irks me...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

Definitely frustrating. Yes, it's hard to take people seriously when they "love animals" but eat different kinds of animals on a daily basis. I'm sure people who say these things mean well and they probably haven't realized that what they are saying doesn't make logical sense. I also love animals, and that is why I don't eat them. Okay, so you have a companion animal but you still eat other animals? Yea, okay...

Angry Re: (Rant) "I love animals"

That is one thing that I could never ever ever get over. People consistently saying that they are against fur when their wearing multiple leather items. Can they not see it's literally the same bloody thing >.<.
    I can never get over the logic behind thinking like that.
    When stuff like that is said I never know how to reply. Because myself and I'm sure alot of you secretly think and want to say that they are no better. I have no idea how to reply to them, I usually just nod.
    Also when people go on with Animal Testing and so on and they have clearly used all the products, especially cosmetics!

Either way, it's still good that they are taking an interest even if it confusing from out point of view.

Quote kessie184 View Post
    That is one thing that I could never ever ever get over. People consistently saying that they are against fur when their wearing multiple leather items. Can they not see it's literally the same bloody thing >.<.
    I can never get over the logic behind thinking like that.
    Actually, I'm familiar with that kind of reasoning (from my mother). I think some people who object to fur but not leather think that animals are being skinned alive for producing one but not the other. I don't know if it's true but, to me, it doesn't matter. Animals are still killed for it and I wouldn't buy it. And I know animals suffer in both industries...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I think the "reasoning" is also that leather comes from cows that are eaten, where [some] fur comes from animals that are "wasted".... (yes people are morons)

I don't know if some animals are skinned alive (might be, people are sick fucks) but some animals are anally electrocuted.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    I think the "reasoning" is also that leather comes from cows that are eaten, where [some] fur comes from animals that are "wasted".... (yes people are morons)
    True, that comes from that too.

I don't know if some animals are skinned alive (might be, people are sick fucks) but some animals are anally electrocuted.
    I think they are both, actually. I know, it's sick...

That is one reason why the KD Lang quote is so brilliant to me "What makes one animal a pet and the other dinner?" or something along those lines. It was never something that I could rationalize as a non-vegan.

I've heard people say stupid stuff like "meat comes from the supermarket". Actually, no, it bloody well doesn't! It comes from an animal who has been penned and tortured before being slaughtered and then wrapped in plastic for your consumption...and they make fun of me for not eating it??!!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh, mate. My ex's "I'm not racist, but..." family were dab hands at the selective compassion for animals (with added casual racism, for extra zing). The only facebook flame war I ever got into was with my ex's mum. When the Japanese earthquake/nuclear disaster struck, she declared that it was "karma"* and the people of Japan all deserved to die because they eat whales. No, really.

By her logic, fucked-up white people shit** against animals (extinction of Aussie fauna, fox hunting, dog fighting, cruel food "farming", experimentation...) doesn't count, to the point where it isn't even a consideration! Those evil Japanese deserve to die! Heaps of her relos agreed, with some kindly adding the caveat that women and children (?) should be spared from "karmic" extermination.

*Bastardised, within-the-same-lifetime version of karma, obvs.
    **I may be semi-Filo and semi-Euro and not as white as some, but I know from fucked-up white people shit!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

BlackBow

Update!
    The 10 year old girl who randomly said she LOVES MEAT in now vegetarian!!!
    I'm so happy, and shocked. I thought she would turn one day but not so soon. AWESOMENESS!

Crusty Rat

I thought this was gonna be about problems with the phrase itself being technically bigoted, similar to "I love gay guys, they're so nice!" - it's just a patronising generalisation.

That irritates me too! It is proven that humans can live a healthy vegan lifestyle! There's no excuse to eat animals at all!

Crusty Rat

^ If I were to own a vehicle and accidentally kill a non-human animal with it, I wouldn't then eat their corpse which would a) make me hideously ill if I managed to force it down my throat in the first place and would go on to increase my risk of heart attacks, cancer and countless other diseases and b) could go to feed carrion and animals for whom it would be a natural part of their diet.