Thread: High Energy Foods

Default High Energy Foods

I have been a bit worn down from work stresses lately and was wondering if anyone as any ideas for high energy foods.

I usually have whole wheat toast for breakfast, maybe I will add some fruits/veggies for vitamins and peanut butter for protein?

I tried eating pasta for dinner and that was helping.

I am just sooo tired lately, I need a boost.

The combination of banana, ground flax, and natural peanut butter always seems to energize me in the morning time. I spread some in a pita pocket. Mmm. I like it with some soy milk or orange juice (although oranges give me headaches )

1vegan

Quote Wildflower
    I have been a bit worn down from work stresses lately and was wondering if anyone as any ideas for high energy foods.
    Nuts ?

Oatmeal with flaxseed oil and banana is my usual breakfast that keeps me going for ages. If I wasn't allergic to nuts, I would add some walnuts too - that would make it even better.

Stoneground wholemeal sourdough bread, nut butters, tahini/seed butters, hummus, fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts and dried fruit are all thumbs up - and also of course whole grains and sprouts

i drink a lot of fresh juice when i get super tired...hence why my juicer had had many many miles on it this week
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Thanks for the help guys! I will try these, although I found out last night that I am run down because I caught this virus going around work. It is at 4 of our offices on different sides of the US! Apparently, it makes you VERY tired, and you have a sore throat with optional bronchitits. People at work have been reporting sleeping for 24 hours straight, staying in bed sleeping for days and everyone has been coming in late and leaving early because they are too tired. Everyone on conference calls has been talking about it the last week...and last night it hit me. : (

Well, at least it's not my diet, I was so tired last week I thought I had some sort of deficiency. These suggestions should help me get my strength back.

A few handfuls of dried fruits is alwasy good, too.

Quote Wildflower
    Thanks for the help guys! I will try these, although I found out last night that I am run down because I caught this virus going around work. It is at 4 of our offices on different sides of the US! Apparently, it makes you VERY tired, and you have a sore throat with optional bronchitits. People at work have been reporting sleeping for 24 hours straight, staying in bed sleeping for days and everyone has been coming in late and leaving early because they are too tired. Everyone on conference calls has been talking about it the last week...and last night it hit me. : (

Well, at least it's not my diet, I was so tired last week I thought I had some sort of deficiency. These suggestions should help me get my strength back.
    I had that too!!! I slept 39 hours straight...with a fever and all. It was awful. I hope you feel better soon!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote Wildflower
    Apparently, it makes you VERY tired, and you have a sore throat with optional bronchitits. .

did you take up the option wildflower??

seriously, hope you recover real soon

Quote cedarblue
    did you take up the option wildflower??

seriously, hope you recover real soon
    Ha ha, I passed on that option. I am working from home today in my pj's and a scarf around my neck trying to feel better!

FR

Corn suprisingly gives me a lot of energy.

mmm...corn sounds good.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, miso soup, garlic, etc. these are all good boosts for your immune system when you are dragging. Try to receive as much rest as possible, and of course stay hydrated. The main thing I would consume when I have been sick is liquids. I had plenty of freshly pureed soups/miso on hand and drank plenty of fresh juice/water. It was easier for my body to digest the liquids instead of eating so many solids.

Sending you positive thoughts/vibes and I hope you feel better soon.

Default Energy/Pick-Me-Up foods?

Due to the fact that on average I get about 5.5 hours of sleep a night, I have been quite tired throughout the day at work. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for lunch or snacks etc. that would help get me through the day without looking and acting like a zombie, other than coffee that is, which is an obvious stimulus.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

FR

Default Re: Energy/Pick-Me-Up foods?

I'm like you. During the weekdays, I get 4-5 hours of sleep per day. I work 2 full time jobs. At my second job, over 80% of what I consume is raw food, mostly fruit. About every 2 hours I eat something, an apple, bananna, carrots, orange, or a salad with lots of greens. I find I get a boost everytime I eat something raw. I also drink a lot of water.

I have hypoglycemia, and when my blood sugar falls, the best thing in the world (taste-wise & pick-me-up-wise) would have to be medjool dates. Otherwise, try energy rich, low GI foods, like beans, oatmeal, low gi fruit (apples, citrus etc...) and dense grainy breads with nut butters or hummus

tails4wagging

When I was nursing and had rare breaks, I would eat a banana and most other nurses did the same. It is quick energy fix and contains amongst other good things, potassium. I noticed Tim Henman on court at wimbledon eating one on 'breaks'.

sugarmouse

[i am sure avacados pick me up, and raw veggies....

Ditto with the banana, I find they really help.
    For lunch I tend to buy a bean salad, which has peppers, loads of bean types and sweetcorn and I pile in pumpkin seeds as well. Pumpkin seeds on their own are great as well - I love them.

thanks for the suggestions! I will have to see what I can find in the food court downstairs at work, there's an okay salad bar there so maybe I can find some of the things you all listed in there

Banana - I know I've heard you metion them a lot so I feel somewhat naive in asking this, but what exactly are medjool dates and where can I find these famous dates? oh and what do they taste like/look like also
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Check out these links: