Thread: Getting social support when going vegan

Exclamation Getting social support when going vegan

A little background info:

My boyfriend (whom I live with) is a chef, and I would consider us to be "foodies". This is a big part of our relationship, considering we often spend time together trying new restaurants in the city, finding new food trucks, or cooking dinner.

I come from a southern family. The kind where my Grandpa used to kill the chickens for dinner, and my Grandma would hover over us until we finished everything on our plates. The kind where my parents complain that I'm too skinny and offer me food relentlessly.

I was never a big meat-eater, although I enjoyed the occasional fried chicken and seafood dishes. Any red meat I ever ate was more out of obligation than desire - mom made dinner, or the boyfriend was craving a certain food. I've considered going vegetarian or vegan many times before, but it is pretty difficult with my lifestyle.

Since moving to NYC, I now have so many resources available to go Vegan - great restaurants/markets/friends who are Vegan. I really would like to make the change, but I am worried about how to go about announcing this to my loved ones. I am afraid of their rejection, misunderstanding, and judgement

I would appreciate any positive affirmation, advice, or anything else from successful vegans who have been there!

Default Re: How to get social support when going Vegan?

I would say just try it. Tell your friends/relatives in a friendly positive sounding way. You could potentially encounter difficulty with people who don't 'get it', just do your best to explain. I have to admit I have lost a lot of patience with anti-vegan prejudice, when someone 25Kg overweight questions the health of my diet I'm like "WTF dude?" Just try to be patient and don't get angry if folks you care about don't understand at first.
    Maybe there is a local vegan group you could join?
    Best of luck to you!

Off to a shaky start - the boyfriend found out that I have been vegan for a week (via facebook) and his first comment: "You're not forcing this crap on our kids, and we're going to let them eat REAL peanut butter!" (I buy organic peanut butter, which he hates. He only considers Jiff to be "real peanut butter", how ironic).

Then my mother said "You better un-vegan for my trip to visit you!"

Sigh. Hopefully things will only get better with time.

Time is the key word here. Things might get a bit hairy for the first few weeks/months and it will be mostly through peoples concern for you, once they have learned the benefits of being vegan and that your going to stick with it they may change their minds.

Good luck

BlackBow

Oh gosh I'm sorry
    Tell them if they really love you an adjustment in you're menu shouldn't make them love you less.

And btw I thought jiff was okay for a vegan to eat? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Jif is OK (except the one with Omega 3 in which comes from fish) although it does contain MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES which could be animal derived, it also has hydrogenated fats in. I prefer the Peanut Butter Co products (when we can get them over here) or more natural versions without hydrogenated fats in.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Jif is not vegan. Besides being a new vegan, I'm a long-time organic/natural food devotee (at least I try to be as much as possible with respect to time, money, convenience, etc).

I was saying that "traditional" peanut butter (like Jif) is not "real" in the sense that these companies use chemical binders, preservatives, and other additives in their peanut butter. Their ingredient lists tend to be long and scary.

I like buying peanut butters that read "Ingredients: Peanuts." They have such a fresh, real taste! But my boyfriend enjoys the artificial taste and texture of Jif-like peanut butters, which I find repulsive.

BlackBow

Oh ok good. I like organic too but I'm 16 and can only shop where my dad takes me which is wal- marts
    So the only choice I have is stuff like Jif. In a few years when I'm on my own I hope that will change though .

Heya Apanos7, welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that you're not getting the support you'd like

My guess is that your boyfriend is upset as so much of your relationship is based around sharing food and that your move towards veganism is an affront to this. Explain to him that it's something you really want to do, he should respect your wishes if he loves you. Also you say he's a chef, most chefs are trained mainly to cook meat/eggs/dairy and therefore don't really know much about vegan food, they tend to regards vegans as a pain. Hopefully he'll learn about veganism through you and the world will have one less vegan-ignorant chef!

Your mother is just a bit shocked, perhaps alot of your relationship is also tied up in food?
    As Firestorm said, the attitude of those close to you towards veganism usually improves with time, once they see that you're healthy, happy and are actually eating tasty food.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote BlackBow View Post
    Oh ok good. I like organic too but I'm 16 and can only shop where my dad takes me which is wal- marts
    So the only choice I have is stuff like Jif. In a few years when I'm on my own I hope that will change though .
    There are some rumors that it my not be Vegan on the internet - I have emailed the company to find out for definite.

Default Re: How to get social support when going vegan?

Jif have confirmed that all their products are animal free except for the one with omega 3 in.

Hello apanos7
    Hope your keeping your enthusiam up for becoming a Vegan. I can really sympathise with you on the Parents and Chef parts. My mom is a Chef and always cooks up a storm when the family gets together. She is an amazing cook and although she respects my choices feels rejected that she is no longer able to 'spoil' me with treats. I have been vegetarian for most of my life which she accepted but being Vegan meant that I was mostly bringing my own food with me. I love cooking so thats no heartship for me but it does set me apart a little from my family.
    It does get easier if you simply tell people that its a choice your making for yourself and that you would love their support. It also really helps me to say that its yourself your judging not them - it is their choice what they eat, do and buy. People usually feel less threatened if you start off with this attitude – you can always convince them later that the Vegan way of live is the only one with a future ………Best wishes xx

I really got on the foodie track by going vegetarian at 14. I had never eaten gourmet/ethnic foods (this was the '70s!) and wanted to compete with vegan versions. How?*! By using the tastebuds and descriptive capabilities of my non-veg companions.

So, I still experienced the full dining scene without tasting for myself non-veg dishes. I then attempted to recreate or revamp for appraisal. This continues today. No one feels 'evangelized' around me or alienated. Quite the contrary, my nearest and dearest can see through my eyes and respect my choices.

I'd like to think that I've reduced animal intake around me, but, as my sister says, "when you're here to cook".
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote Dee View Post
    It does get easier if you simply tell people that its a choice your making for yourself and that you would love their support. It also really helps me to say that its yourself your judging not them - it is their choice what they eat, do and buy. People usually feel less threatened if you start off with this attitude – you can always convince them later that the Vegan way of live is the only one with a future ………Best wishes xx
    The problem is, I actually feel that I am judging them..

Sorry, I should quickly introduce myself. I'm vegetarian since 6 yrs. and now eating 99% vegan (up til now having used honey in my tea as well as using coffee creamer, which I'm determined to give up as soon as the jug is empty!).
    Anyway, like the original poster, I too have similar situations with family. My husband (omni) thinks going vegan is "extreme" and unhealthy *roll eyes* and can't imagine how I'm going to handle this with our family (we have 2 kids, 9 & 6 -who hardly eat meat but love their cheese & yogurt ). I am already cooking vegan meals and they eat it without complaining, but so far I'm also offering dairy on the side if the dish is something like enchiladas etc. or their Mac'n Cheese I make w/cheese.. even though I hate using it! (They just don't like vegan recipes I've tried..)
    Anyway.. being the one who does the meal planning and shopping, I really hate even having to buy dairy/eggs still, hence I do sometimes judge them (especially DH!) !..

Now my parents (I'm a German National) don't even know yet that I'm 1% away from being vegan! They had a hard time accepting me being vegetarian and already asked the typical "Then what do you eat?" question , followed by "Well, at least you're not one of those extremists, what are they called, vegan?" Err.. yeah, I guess that's about to change! LOL

Sorry for having jumped in here, I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Hello MomOf2Gremlins I wouldn't worry too much about the judging/not judging thing for now. Talking judgementally is probably not going to help you but your thoughts are your own.

In terms of the practicalities you seem in quite a strong position if you do the cooking etc and I would have thought you could probably cook mostly or all vegan meals without anyone even noticing (as long as you steer clear of the ones they don't like?). Obviously if they don't agree with you about the thinking behind it they may eat non-vegan stuff when they're out, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

People do take a while to get used to the idea, particularly if they don't know any vegans personally (which may be the case with your parents? ) but when they discover that they've been easting healthy, tasty food etc they may be more receptive. Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback, harpy! I appreciate it!
    I know, many times I'm approaching others with my beliefs with a 'hammer method' and may not be subtle about it.. I guess I should work on that, huh?..
    I agree, in terms of cooking I'm in a good position and many times DH doesn't even realize that it's vegan (which I make sure to rub it in though.. also not very good, huh.. ) The only thing I feel really conflicted about is still buying the dairy/eggs.. but you're right, taking it slowly might work better..

As far as my parents go, well, so far we only see them 2x/year so I guess I'll 'worry' about it once the time has come...

Hi MomOf2Gremlins;
    Hope your well. A little off topic, but I spotted you saying that your from Germany and it looks like your living in Italy now.... I'm from just outside of Hamburg myself - a little town called Uetersen. We've just returned from living in Gaiole, Chianti Italy and am now in the UK......
    A long winded way of saying 'hello, fellow German' . How are you managing the vegan thing in Italy? We did well as long as we didnt eat out too much......Dee

Default Re: Getting social support when going vegan

It's not (of course) that I think veganism is something to shut up about normally, MO2G - I just suspect that in your specific situation it may work better to get your family, particularly your other half, acclimatised to the food first, and then talk more about the ideas behind veganism afterwards. Once they realise vegan food is just as palatable, and at least as healthy and satisfying, as other food then they will probably be more receptive to the ideas as well.

I'm sure other people will tell you the opposite though!

I'll put in a few words about convincing the older generation, Mom of 2 Gremlins:

Sometimes I cushion my arguments against meat/dairy by referring to 'nowadays' and 'factory farms' so as not to seem judgmental for their past decisions.
    It might not be true that I would ever find it acceptable but why draw impassable lines when we can agree that these products here today are not healthy or ethical?
    Getting some agreement if only on the health issues (contamination hormones etc) is a starting point...

Good luck!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote Dee View Post
    Hi MomOf2Gremlins;
    Hope your well. A little off topic, but I spotted you saying that your from Germany and it looks like your living in Italy now.... I'm from just outside of Hamburg myself - a little town called Uetersen. We've just returned from living in Gaiole, Chianti Italy and am now in the UK......
    A long winded way of saying 'hello, fellow German' . How are you managing the vegan thing in Italy? We did well as long as we didnt eat out too much......Dee
    Hey! I'm from the North too, Braunschweig!
    I'm currently living in Sicily due to my other half being American and in the Navy, so we're stationed here. We'll be done with this tour & retiring in 2 yrs though and then move to Germany (Bavaria -my parents live there now) for good.
    Living vegan here in Sicily is hard for me! Already as a vegetarian you get looked at as if you have 3 heads.. and forget about food available at the supermarket like normal tofu! (Not that I'd want to eat it all the time, but still!..) Things like tempeh, saitan etc. are completely unheard of as are soy coffee creamers and the like. I'm only lucky to having access to US products due to shopping on base, which is also limited (also no tofu, at least not the water packed one) but better than out in town. You're right, eating out rarely happens nowadays, which in itself is ok but at the same time can be annoying!..
    I guess what annoys me most here is that simple things are so hard to find! (Think cashew nuts for ex.!)
    Anyway.. sorry for my rant! LOL *waving back to a fellow German* [Are you staying in the UK?]

Quote harpy View Post
    It's not (of course) that I think veganism is something to shut up about normally, MO2G - I just suspect that in your specific situation it may work better to get your family, particularly your other half, acclimatised to the food first, and then talk more about the ideas behind veganism afterwards. Once they realise vegan food is just as palatable, and at least as healthy and satisfying, as other food then they will probably be more receptive to the ideas as well.

I'm sure other people will tell you the opposite though!
    I absolutely agree, Harpy! I'm trying to 'tone it down' from now on and just do 'my thing' instead of announcing it or campaigning why I'm doing something!

Quote pat sommer View Post
    I'll put in a few words about convincing the older generation, Mom of 2 Gremlins:

Sometimes I cushion my arguments against meat/dairy by referring to 'nowadays' and 'factory farms' so as not to seem judgmental for their past decisions.
    It might not be true that I would ever find it acceptable but why draw impassable lines when we can agree that these products here today are not healthy or ethical?
    Getting some agreement if only on the health issues (contamination hormones etc) is a starting point...

Good luck!
    Thank you for your input! I'll remember that as you're right, my parents tend to go defensive when I try to explain my reasoning and come with statements that the eggs they buy are also from 'happy chicken' etc. (yeah, ok.. since when do they lay colored eggs??? Supermarket eggs) or that the meat they get is from a butcher who also does a 'humane' job with slaughtering.. Arrgh, don't get me started!!!

I have to say though, it really helps connecting with other vegans through boards like these!!! Not only for getting advice but also for support!!!

We have been to Sicily on hols 2 or 3 times (we like archaeology and volcanoes!) and I recall some problems getting vegan food in restaurants, though there were a few things that seemed to be more-or-less vegan in the local cuisine - pasta with caper-and-vegetable sauce seemed to be a recurrent theme? Beautiful island though, I envy you from that point of view!

Harpy,
    isn't all pasta made with eggs though? That's my whole thing.. I don't like capers but plain tomato sauce and eggplant pasta is always available. Just like I said the pasta was what I thought I couldn't eat no more???
    As to envying me.. meh, after living here for 3 yrs already and going to be 2 more here, trust me, it's not that great! (Visiting is always different than living daily life, no?) I hate seeing the emaciated stray (and sadly also vicious) dogs here..., many times driven over on the road and nobody cares but continues to drive over them.. The half starved sheep herds where the shepherd many times carries a dead lamb or urges (i.e. hitting with a long stick) a pregnant sheep on to continue running with the herd even though half of her lamb is already hanging out.. I could go on and on...
    From an animal lover's point of view it's not a good place to be! Not to mention crappy roads, trash everywhere.. and on and on..
    But yes, the Mt. Etna is quite something and when 'she' erupts (like this January) it's quite a show!

Hello Apanos, Dee & Momof2gremlins,

welcome from my side as well and I hope that you (Apanos7) are still sticking with your veganism despite the obstacles.
    If I were you, I'd give in on the peanut butter and be standfast on the issue of animal products. Regarding kids - do you already have kids that you could "force your beliefs on" or are these hypothetical, future kids? Anyway, feeding animal products to your kids is exactly the same "forcing your beliefs on". You as a kid can not decide yourself what you want to do. If you only eat plants, you can still add animals, if you already are in the habit of feasting on carcasses, it might be hard to go back.

Best regards,
    Andy

Dee, Momofgremlins - nice to see so many Germans here! I am technically not German (I'm Austrian) but I am living in Hannover now. MomofGremlins, where are you going to stay in Bavaria? It does not strike me as a country that has many options for navy operations ;-)

Hi - quick one from me as dashing out. Not all pasta is made with eggs, some of it is just wheat/semolina. Here the fresh stuff tends to have eggs and the dried stuff tends to be (but is not always) egg-free. Easy to check in a shop, but you can also ask waiters to check for you, especially if you're a regular. You can also ask them to leave cheese and butter out of sauces for you (cheaper for them after all!). I seem to remember that a lot was cooked with olive oil there, at least in cheaper restaurants.

Yes take your point about the animals there - I don't remember any specifics, probably because I've blotted it out :/ but it's true in a lot of areas round the Mediterranean unfortunately.

Hi Andy,
    thanks for the welcome! Austrian or German, it's pretty much the same, being neighbors, no?
    Hannover is real close to my birth city Braunschweig!
    As to Bavaria and the Navy, no, no operations there (Stuttgart is the only one) but my husband will be retired from the military and is hoping for a job otherwise. But if he'd find something in Stuttgart as a civilian that would be fine with me too! I just fell in love with the southern part of Germany (besides my parents live there and being an only child etc. it'd be nice for them and us to live close for their last years.)
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

Harpy,
    sorry, I forgot to respond to your answer yesterday! Thank you for your info regarding the pasta! I honestly had no idea! I will have to investigate it further! It'd be great if I could continue to eat some pasta dishes! (Pasta Norma -eggplant & tom. sauce is my favorite. No cheese needed! )
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

My Italian colleague once claimed that in Italy people would say "Pasta with eggs, that is something for Germans". According to him, all decent pasta (at least the dry versions) are made from 100% semolina and nothing else (well, water and oil, I guess). He also claimed that in Italy, no decent person would buy "Barilla" and "Buitoni", so if you have to buy industrial made pasta, at least try to get the "De Ceccho" brand.

Of course, he's from the north of Italy, so things could be totally different in Sicily. The one thing I have seen, however, is that it can be pretty hard to find lasagna sheets that are not made with eggs (but the Barilla brand should work). Most likely it is more difficult to make those large sheets without the super-glue properties of egg.

Best regards,
    Andy

Most dried lasagne sheets I've seen for sale here have been eggless.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I'm with Andy's friend, I never liked the eggy varieties of pasta anyway.

I have a feeling Sicilians go more for the 100% semolina kind but I will be interested to hear the result of Mo2G's research.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    My Italian colleague once claimed that in Italy people would say "Pasta with eggs, that is something for Germans". According to him, all decent pasta (at least the dry versions) are made from 100% semolina and nothing else (well, water and oil, I guess). He also claimed that in Italy, no decent person would buy "Barilla" and "Buitoni", so if you have to buy industrial made pasta, at least try to get the "De Ceccho" brand.

Of course, he's from the north of Italy, so things could be totally different in Sicily. The one thing I have seen, however, is that it can be pretty hard to find lasagna sheets that are not made with eggs (but the Barilla brand should work). Most likely it is more difficult to make those large sheets without the super-glue properties of egg.

Best regards,
    Andy
    Thanks for your input, Andy!
    Yes, I believe things in Northern Italy are quite different than in Southern Italy (at least I've heard that they always snub their noses a bit towards each other?) but overall I'm sure it's true that we Germans -as well as Americans and any other nation- created our own versions of 'typical Italian' food, just like some meals simply don't exist here in the restaurants, but Americans are stunned to find that out! (Chicken Parmesan Pasta etc.) Just like I have never found any 'al forno' pasta dish here on the menus while remembering the Germans seem to be quite fond of the 'al forno' versions for everything, Tortellini, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry!

Quote twinkle View Post
    Most dried lasagne sheets I've seen for sale here have been eggless.
    I'll have to check. In worst case I can find the American version at least since most of my shopping is done on base.

I was also happy to find Quinoa-Spaghetti! Curious to cook with them and see how they taste!

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm with Andy's friend, I never liked the eggy varieties of pasta anyway.

I have a feeling Sicilians go more for the 100% semolina kind but I will be interested to hear the result of Mo2G's research.
    Harpy,
    I'll let you know! First I'll have to find a reliable source to ask. Many times when you ask an Italian (or any person from the Mediterranean area!) and they don't know, they still just give you an answer! So asking a waiter here for ex. "Is this pasta made with eggs?", he/she might very well just say "Si, si" (yes, yes) without even knowing! -A factor that can be annoying in many other situations in life here! LOL

I have a friend though who should be able to tell me, I trust her!
    Be the change you wish
    to see in the world.
    - Ghandi

Obviously reading the ingredient to what you eat is a good start. You'll also want to make sure if your clothes are not made of animals, if your lotion isn't tested on animals or contain any animal ingredient, and etc.

Hi MomOf2Gremlins

I lived in italy for a year and I couldn't find any lasagne pasta made without egg. If you go to a restaurant and get penne or spaghetti they are always egg free in my experience. The only things that I've found have egg and are sometimes homemade are tagliatelle or ravioli. I think generally people in the UK think fresh egg pasta is what Italians eat. I found where we lived most Italians seemed to eat dried egg free pasta and make tagliatelle for Sunday lunch or when they have guests.

We only ate out occasionally as we found pizza without cheese and pasta with tomato or mushroom too limiting. Unfortunately Italians love their traditional food and we really missed the variety you get in the UK. Different types of nuts are difficult to find as are wholefoods. Nearly all the bread and pasta are white unless you go to a large supermarket. Alpro soya milk is about £3 a carton - we managed to find a cheaper one just before we left. The good thing is beans and lentil are easy to get hold of and so are great fresh fruit and veg. The best thing about being a vegan in Italy is being able to buy soya ice cream in ice cream shops.