Thread: My child has been ill and won't eat

Default My child has been ill and won't eat

Just wondering if any other vegan parents can help here. My three year old got a throat infection last week and since then she has not wanted to eat. I am managing to get her to drink a glass of soya milk a day. Other than that, today for example, she has eaten one weetabix (into which I mixed her vitamins), one slice of toast with some melty soya cheese and half a nectarine. She is sleeping way more than she does normally and although this could be because she has been unwell i am worried it could also be because she is not eating enough. If it continues I am obviously going to take her to the doctor but I would appreciate any suggestions of nice (but nutritious!) things she could eat. Many thanks

Default Re: My child has been ill and won't eat

When I've been ill and unable to eat I found it difficult to get back in to eating properly after. What I found works really well for me is watermelon, it's easy to chew and swallow but still solid so it helps expand the stomach. Also soup (without chunks) would provide lots of nutrients but easy to swallow and again, fills the stomach.

Any help?

Watermelon sounds a great idea as does soup. I have made some soup today but she has gone to sleep! i think I phrased my original request a bit badly - I don't just need vegan parents to help - any ideas/suggestions are gratefully received - we've all been ill at some time. Many thanks Risker, I really appreciate the feedback

Sorry about sprog. Have you tried those custardy soy desserts - Alpro etc? Goes down easily and you could mash up a banana in it to make it more nutritious. Also porridge, if she likes that, even though it's not really in season. Good luck ps soy or other vegan ice cream soothing for throats

^ Soya can be a bit hard to digest if you haven't eaten for a while.

You could also try nut butters with toast - they are tasty, healthy and high in calories (I read somewhere that they feed it to children in some third world countries as a small amount will provide a big calorie hit - especially for kids with small stomachs).

what about apple sauce? or some sort of yogurt? I would assume anything that is sort of cool and smooth might go over well?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Aww! Poor child! I've had many throat infections and you'd be surprised how long it takes to return to normal, at least a good couple of weeks. I think especially the anti-biotics take it out of you and you do sleep a lot more initially.

I know how she feels not wanting to eat and it can just make you feel ill trying to force food down. I always drink a lot of lemonade when I have them, it seems to clean the bacteria from the throat a bit (toast is also good for that) and the sugar from lemonade helps perk you up. I've always found that soon after a throat infection I've craved really tastey food, I wouldn't be at all interested in anything bland, so I think soup is a brilliant idea and whatever she normally loves but in quite small portions.

Hope she feels better soon!

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate it. She ate a bit more this weekend but having a bad day today. I think i will try a nut butter on toast and I really like the idea of mashed up banana in a vanilla Alpro pud - thanks everyone