Thread: The riots in UK

Default The riots in UK

There's a lot of stuff in the news about the riots in UK, but I haven't seen much about why the rioters are rioting. Can anyone from UK (or elsewhere) enlighten me about why this is happening?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: The riots in UK

We'd all like to know why, as well. It started off as a protest against an incident where the police shot someone but more recent "riots" just seem to be about looting and arson without any intent to get a message across.

My personal feeling is that there are many factors, but the existence of a significant group of young people who feel that they have nothing to lose by being seen and/or caught committing a crime seems to be a necessary, if not sufficient, condition. Another important factor is that Britain is quite an unequal society, and current government policy is making it more unequal by the minute, in my opinion - so feelings of envy and injustice may motivate some people to take or destroy property. It is also, of course, a materialistic society...

I think you got it spot on there Harpy!

I agree with what Harpy wrote. This is a really good response to it: https://www.facebook.com/notes/marla...50269871451953 Hope it is okay to post this link

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    It is also, of course, a materialistic society...
    ...and getting more so by the day. I think it was Aristotle who said "So many things I have no need of."

lv

Mind you I read some of the people pinched really cheap stuff - from a pound shop or something? Think there is a lot more to this than meets the eye

I can understand people for demonstrating and standing up for what they believe in but most of the riots seem to be about people causing unnecessary harm and stealing things (The majority of shops looted were electronics shops and sports retailers). Its very disconcerting to see people causing so much disruption, damage and harm for trivialities like a new television or trainers (they have even coined a new term "Aggressive late night shopping"). The only good side is that there seem to be (where I am) more people volunteering to clean up than to actually take part in the riots.

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    Mind you I read some of the people pinched really cheap stuff - from a pound shop or something? Think there is a lot more to this than meets the eye
    Something for nothing is still something for nothing whether you are looting Poundland or Bang & Olufsen...

lv

You might take a look at " UK indymedia " website for related ideas. I won't post a link due to forum rules.

I imagine that a number of groups were taking action here and there. Mainstream media will possibly act to maintain status quo with selective reporting and 'pre-emptive naration'.

My impression is that looting was opportunistic within latent recognition of dissolving 'economic' illusion. Also the looters did not really understand what police officers are capable of.

Certain 'anti hierarchy' groups have been campaigning around the issues of Government cuts; many youths will remember how the police stood back to let students smash up polity hq a while back. Interesting to note PM Cameron describe the gang activities as "hierarchical".

This rowdiness has happened even without a big push from interested political movements [not including the conservative push to seize power right down to community levels].

Watch out for the "intentional trespass" law, which is currently biding its three month consultation period. Also the amendment of "section six" relating to the protection of tenants from landlords. These law changes will mean that trespass and squatting [aka unpaid residence] will BECOME criminal offences. Therefore any protest on private land can be dismissed with the threat of immediate arrest. Obviously many people will also be forced out of their shelters with no protection from the current "section six".

The Tories failed to get a lot of public forests into private hands... but they still tried before scheduling the "intentional trespass" move.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.