Thread: Ice cream maker for vegan frozen yogurt - and your fav. recipes

Talking Ice cream maker for vegan frozen yogurt - and your fav. recipes

Hey everyone! I'm looking first, for some recommendations for a good ice cream maker. I had no idea there were such price variations -- $30 or $300?! I eat a LOT of frozen yogurt so I'm willing to invest in something that's quality and is going to last me for years, but that said, I don't want to spend money on gadgets I don't need. Right now I'm looking at these NewAir ice cream machines, has anyone heard of them or used them? Any other recommendations you guys have?

Also! I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for more vegan ice cream recipes, but more so frozen yogurt recipes. If you have some, please share! lol

Heya I know this is a really old thread but I just got a second-hand ice-cream maker. I haven't made anything yet but I have the canister/bowl thingy in the freezer and I've been flicking though 'Lick It!' (awful name but great book).

I'm wondering if anyone else has an ice-cream maker or has experience with making ice-cream. If so what flavours have you made?

I'm interested in making the really elaborate ones that you can't get vegan versions of here such as fudge/caramel/cookie dough, those Ben & Jerry's style flavours.
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Ice Cream Maker for Vegan & Frozen Yogurt & Your Fav. Recipes?!

I have one but mine haven't been very elaborate - I struggle to make the real ice cream consistency - always ends up sorbet like. Might be me or coconut milk...

Quote Niccie
    I have one but mine haven't been very elaborate - I struggle to make the real ice cream consistency - always ends up sorbet like. Might be me or coconut milk...
    It is a bit slushy when it comes out of the ice-cream maker, do you find you get a better texture when you freeze it afterwards or does it always seem like sorbet?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    It is a bit slushy when it comes out of the ice-cream maker, do you find you get a better texture when you freeze it afterwards or does it always seem like sorbet?
    Always seems like sorbet, it's a really old ice cream maker so could be that as well to be fair.

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Heya I know this is a really old thread but I just got a second-hand ice-cream maker. I haven't made anything yet but I have the canister/bowl thingy in the freezer and I've been flicking though 'Lick It!' (awful name but great book).

I'm wondering if anyone else has an ice-cream maker or has experience with making ice-cream. If so what flavours have you made?

I'm interested in making the really elaborate ones that you can't get vegan versions of here such as fudge/caramel/cookie dough, those Ben & Jerry's style flavours.
    I just made some today and was really happy with the results, it was mostly just a test run so I did bog standard chocolate but it was the best chocolate ice cream I've ever tasted (admittedly it's been years since I tasted any ). Anyway the recipe that I used was:

400ml (1 can) of coconut milk
    1/3 cup of cocoa powder
    1/4 cup of sugar
    1/8 cup of brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp salt

Last edited by Lentils; May 28th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Lentils

I just made some today and was really happy with the results, it was mostly just a test run so I did bog standard chocolate but it was the best chocolate ice cream I've ever tasted (admittedly it's been years since I tasted any ). Anyway the recipe that I used was:

400ml (1 can) of coconut milk
    1/3 cup of cocoa powder
    1/4 cup of sugar
    1/8 cup of brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp salt
    Sounds great, Lentils! The recipe I used was a mixture of coconut milk and soya milk, so I imagine yours was quite rich and delicious!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Ice cream maker for vegan frozen yogurt - and your fav. recipes

I used my ice-cream maker today to make lemon sorbet, again a recipe from 'Lick It!'. It was really nice and once the mixture (which was just lemon juice, water and caster sugar) was chilled it was turned to sorbet in 10 minutes by the ice-cream maker.
    Houmous atá ann!

lyndabay06

Lightbulb Re: Ice cream maker for vegan frozen yogurt - and your fav. recipes

Here's my personal favorite recipe ever

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups soy yogurt
    1 cup cherries (frozen)

1 1/2 cups rice (dream milk)

1/3 cup agave nectar

1/4 cup chocolate chips
    1 Stick cherries in the microwave for a minute.
    2 Combine everything but the chocolate chips in the blender.
    3 Dump into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
    4 Add chocolate chips toward the end.
    5 Ready to serve!