Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegan snacks

Default Re: Bedtime Snack

I try to drink Celestial Seasoning's "Sleepy Time" tea if I can't sleep. It actually works. I normally go to bed around 2am (and wake up at 11am or 12pm) but yesterday I need to sleep early so I can wake up early. I drank some Sleepy Time tea and I ended up sleeping sometime around 12:30am.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

that tea sounds good tigerlily - thanks for the recommendation.

if i cant sleep i never get up from bed i just stick it out till i nod off.

if i eat something with a high cocoa content i dont sleep well and feel buzzy.

Sleepy time tea is really good. Anything with valerian or skullcap (herbs) will do too (the main ingredient in the tea).
    My ritual for getting to sleep is knitting lately. Calms my thinking down to just knit one, purl one (which is nothing fancy in the knitting world) and by the end of the week I have a scarf! It does take about 20 minutes to calm my mind down and get sleepy. Then of course my non sleepiness is due to thinking and not any stimulant from chocolate or coffee or pop.
    I've tried meditation too and that worked (hard to calm the mind down sometimes). But with knitting I focus on something right away and I get a scarf in the end!

Windfall

I also drink sleepytime tea or peppermint tea, and it works well. I try not to eat for a few hours before I go to bed, and if I cant sleep after like an hour, I just get up and do something else til I feel sleepy- its nothing worse than not being able to sleep!

Default Re: What is your nighttime snack of choice?

i think i will try that bedtime tea. last night i had some bananas with soya milk over : that was nice and i got 7 hours sleep which is pretty darn good for me

nervine

Just had 2 sweet potatoes with salt and garlic mayonnaise + live soy yoghurt with ground seed mix and tahini.

Very random but delicious!

Noel Nog

(But I wouldn't exactly call it my "nighttime" snack, because I drink it any time of day )
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Talking Re: What is your nighttime snack of choice?

I usually rock out the peanutbutter on a spoon and some juice or tea when i wake up in the night for munchies.

Crisps/Peanuts/Popcorn

I'm currently eating roasted monkey nuts and home roasted and salted Squash seeds. I've also got some chocolate here but I think I'll probably leave that for the evening.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Russ

Quote Risker
    I'm currently eating roasted monkey nuts

nervine

spiced berry cordial + salted roasted peanuts!

so very addictive.. Thanks Dan and Jamie!

Where did you buy the stuff, it's almost empty

Fruit fruit and more fruit

Default Fav snacks

Hope this hasn't been posted as a topic already

Just wonderin what y'all liked to snack on?

My personal fav snacks are:

a banana with peanut butter
    any kind of larabar
    fruit
    nuts

I bought brown rice crackers today and am gonna try those with some apple butter for a snack tomorrow
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 9th, 2006 at 05:20 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Fav snacks

Quote Annie View Post
    Hope this hasn't been posted as a topic already
    Hi Annie, I just merged some threads about vegan snacks... Unfortunately, our search engine isn't smart enough to show threads with 'snack' in the title when searching for threads with 'snacks' in the title.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Vegan snacks

I just discovered Whitworth's Wasabi Bean Mix. Found it in a Wholefoods section in Tesco.

It looks like yoghurt coated peanuts and raisins.....

But it's not. It's crunchy beans covered in rice flour and real wasabi. It's vicious I tells you!!

i've had those. they're gorgeous - i don't like really hot chilli but wasabi is fantastic they do really burn but in a nice way!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I'm not sure it's actually real wasabi, but it does make it feel like your brain is being pulled out your nose if you shove a big handful in your mouth, so it's not bad!

haha, interesting analogy i haven't got the packet they came in any more and they don't seem to be on the Whitworths website so i'm not sure if it is real wasabi, but i had a feeling it was.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I did too, but by all accounts real wasabi doesn't keep it's heat for long if exposed to the air or powdered.

Pob:
    I just discovered Whitworth's Wasabi Bean Mix. Found it in a Wholefoods section in Tesco. It looks like yoghurt coated peanuts and raisins.....But it's not. It's crunchy beans covered in rice flour and real wasabi. It's vicious I tells you!!
    Pleeeease tell me "vicious" is a euphemism for 'these wasabi beans are the most foul, nauseating, vile, repugnant, unwholesome snacks ever to be manufactured'

I've been eating Nature's valley Peanut Butter granola bars.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Crisps (potato chips) usually. *sigh* I'm trying to cut down on my salt intake though! I wish my mum would just stop buying them!!

We don't really have snacks in the house...well not vegan ones, as I don't buy them often as I know I'll eat them. I'm stopping buying flour as I end up making my own!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I

I usually snack on rye crackers or rice cakes with hummus or sometimes pinto bean dip. I also like pumpkin and sunflower seeds. If I'm really hungry I'll have an extra bowl of cereal or some soup.

Clif bars.

Angry Re: Vegan snacks

I'm so annoyed !
    I've been discussing vegan sandwiches with Ginsters (who supply many UK roadside services and garages), and they told me they were launching a new hummous salad sandwich. Hooray ! But then I saw one in the shops.

It's got milk in it. (*sigh*)

I've written a very dissapointed email. It might help if more people did the same to karen.bessell@ginsters.co.uk andwich brand manager.
    (auto-reply just told me she's on sick leave - I wonder why)
    Last edited by Cumin; May 31st, 2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added auto-reply note.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

I understand your annoyance, Cumin. Our office canteen has just started doing a homous & salad sandwich. I was so excited when I saw it and thought I might actually be able to eat something in there, only to find the same problem - milk. Why??!!

It really makes me despair. Not so long ago now I noticed they'd even managed to sneak milk into a jar of pickled onions. That one certainly did leave me scratching my head...
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

BlackCats

Oh God I have eaten houmous loads of times and not even read ingredients because I assumed it would be vegan, how annoying.

I think the milk may have been in the bread for the sandwich rather than the hummous Aphrodite. Most pre-packed hommous I've seen has been vegan (doesn't mean it all is), but very few hummous sandwiches.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

BlackCats

Oh cool.
    I thought what type of sick freak would put milk in houmous (that spelling doesn't look right)
    (I have gone off garlic lately anyway, I don't know if my taste buds have changed)

I'm the same with the garlic, Aprodite.

I was offered an ice-lolly thing (not ice-cream - it should just have been non-dairy based) by my bf's Dad the other night, and it had BUTTER in it!!!! (I read the ingredients list just to make sure). Weird!

Some of the hummous sold in Carrefour in France has 10% cream in it, so it is worth checking the ingredients if your trying a new brand. Homemade is the best and cheapest way but not always convenient I suppose.

yack!
    Why would you want CREAM in your hummous?

maybe they think it'd make it taste creamy.

that's what the tahini is for isn't it?

milk in pickled onions??..i'm not paranoid but i think it's some form of mind control they want to control us through milk

i vote for toast. non milky toast with yeast extract..or toasted pitta bread with hummous..
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

cobweb

Crumpets with marg and yeast extract and a nice mug of Cocoa, mmmm

Quote cobweb View Post
    Crumpets with marg and yeast extract and a nice mug of Cocoa, mmmm
    Mmmmm... crumpets....
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 13th, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more posts about yeast extract can be found in http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Sweet?...Mild?!!

Why I've never heard such a thing in my life!! Tangy, I would've said...But, given that I do heap it on my toast, maybe I should try these others and see whether they're even stronger (they must be pretty full-on, these spreads?)

Another thing that's good on toast is peanut-butter with 'nanas, though I haven't had it in a long time. I don't do jam though, that is way too sweet for me

Ohh, that sounds nice. I'm only just having a peanut butter renaissance - used to eat a lot of it when I was 9 or younger then went right off it, but I've started adding a dollop to stews and having PB&J toast sandwiches with organic raspberry jam. And now I wish I had some bananas in the house...

Yeah, i always had a very on-off, love-hate relationship with peanut butter..I've like it again for the last year or so, but the consistency always sticks in my throat and gives me indigestion or summat peculiar.

Hey, I got plenty o 'nanas, I'll sling one up you're way now: get ready to catch!! (or at least catch some nana-y telepathic vibes)

oh, and you've reminded me twinkle - peanut butter and jelly(jam) sarnies rock..but jam solo is evil to me, too sweet!

Kallo rice cakes with Yeast extract have got my vote at the moment. Yummy!
    They fulfill the 'marmite' craving, and fill me up .
    Just to throw my preference into the pot - I buy Crazy Jacks organic yeast extract. V.nice, but comes in tiny tiny tiny jars

Toast, toast and more toast
    The lazy persons snack
    here comes the sun

Thumbs up Re: Vegan snacks

Quote Cumin View Post
    I'm so annoyed !
    I've been discussing vegan sandwiches with Ginsters (who supply many UK roadside services and garages), and they told me they were launching a new hummous salad sandwich. Hooray ! But then I saw one in the shops.

It's got milk in it. (*sigh*)

I've written a very dissapointed email. It might help if more people did the same to karen.bessell@ginsters.co.uk andwich brand manager.
    (auto-reply just told me she's on sick leave - I wonder why)
    Good news!! Ginsters wrote to me today to say that they have decided to changed the recipe (remove butter) and make the hummous sandwiches vegan. They will be labelled on the back and should be on the shelves by the end of the summer.
    Wahey!!
    A small victory, but a useful one.

Good sperm

*applauds Cumin*
    Yay for small victories

BlackCats

Well done Cumin

ive been munching on organic dried blueberries sweetened with apple juice... i find them at the local healthy store bulk bins! yummmm!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

i bought some fruit-flavoured raisins at the Bristol Vegan Fayre and they're really nice, but i haven't seen them in any shops yet. has anyone else spotted them?

Only in a newsletter I got from an organic mail order company. I've been looking out for them around here.

i haven't seen the banana bread bars anywhere yet either, i liked the free sample i had at the fayre. the small size bars are a good idea because i find the large ones too much in one go, but still can't find those in shops either. i haven't heard of Zest juice bars, who apparently sell these products.

Unhappy Re: Vegan snacks

Cock-up of the day from Walkers
    New Vegan list here
    specific item page here.

This came after I called walkers yesterday to ask why the " Lime & Thai Spices" sensations crisps were no longer on the vegan list on the website. They told me that they were still vegan (which I believe) and that they would get the website updated.
    They've done this, and included them, but also some other OBVIOUS errors as per the above links.

sigh.. I've called them and explained how difficult it is to trust this sort of info from them when they make such stupid mistakes.

(*edit* it took them just 20mins to update their website and remove the errors. - Not bad!! *)
    Last edited by Cumin; Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: walkers website changed