Thread: Article: Fearnley-Whittingstall embraces veggie meals

Default Article: Fearnley-Whittingstall embraces veggie meals

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug/26/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-vegetables

Though still a carnivore (bbbbbbooooooooo though I am sure he's now having his doubts, but it'd be a bit of a marketing hit in the balls if he did go veggie) it's a great little article dispelling many myths about Vegetarian or Vegan cooking.

Away from the principles of Veganism, I was always shocked by how many people revolt against the idea of meatless dishes. As if somehow a meal without meat is somehow diminished. Even when I was a hardcore meaty my favourite food was traditional non-meat curry.

Default Re: Article - Fearnley-Whittingstall Embraces Veggie Meals

That was a great read, liked his vegetable jacket too!

I look forward to seeing what his future TV shows have to offer

I am a better cook now than I was a year and a half ago. I feed my family better than I did before. I am far less reliant on that freezer full of meat and fish than I used to be. Our River Cottage cookery school and restaurants serve more, and more exciting, vegetable dishes than we ever have before. I enjoy my cooking, and my eating, more than ever. And that feels wonderful.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    That was a great read
    Really was. Never would have predicted it. Hope it is genuine and not just a sales shpeel for his latest book. Although, don't suppose it makes much difference if it is.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

I thought he was vegetarian when he lived in town...before assaulting the countryside?

Thought I remembered him talking about it at the beginning of one of his programs years ago, as he was driving 'out of town'. I suppose he was just talking about vegetarianism as something he had considered.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

I get the feeling both he and Jamie Oliver are evolving along the path towards veganism. Of course he has a new book out, but I've read it (birthday present) and he makes a convincing argument for veganism without actually advocating it (but since I am already a convert, perhaps all arguments in favour of veganism are convincing). Though only about a third of the recipes are vegan, about 1/3 are veganisable, he says (haven't checked).
    He mentions a chef who said he'd shoot any child of his who became veggie (Ramsay perhaps?) and wishes the child does so the dad has to eat his words
    If you think a non vegan cookery book isn't the best present for a vegan, someone else bought me a large box of clotted cream fudge!!!!

i'm really enjoying this latest 'veg' series of hugh's, and i'm going to get the book for christmas.

don't know if any of you read the comments below the article but I just HAVE to share my favourite with you all!!! This is clearly a VERY intelligent individual telling us why eating vegetarian is so unheathly....

Comment - "Let's see...chips are vegetables. So is pizza (well a grass and fruit covered in cheese if we're being truly accurate). And chocolate is I suppose fruit and veg. Cakes, well they are veg and grass. Crisps are vegetables. What part of fish and chips are bad for you, is it the vegetables or the "meat"? Where are the empty calories in the KFC chicken, in the meat or the batter?
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

It's a wonder such people are able dress themselves in the mornings.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Good reasoning, but quite "half-assed" to me. If he is convinced that eating vegetables is the right thing to do, why does he keep eating meat?

Aah, yeah, "because it tastes so good". Right.

Best regards,
    Andy

Did anyone watch the series? What did you think? There was definately a hint of 'no meat = deprivation' but I think this was probably more down to the programme makers rather than H F-W himself. I was impressed that he kept emphasising how eating veggie had made him a better chef and more excited about food. On the other hand, although he never claimed it was a veggie programme, it was totally unnessary to show him out fishing (catching but not eating the fish). On the final episode he did eat a fish but I really felt the director was more interested in 'the money shot' than Hugh was in the fish.
    Of course a lot of the dishes weren't vegan and cheese and eggs were often seen as a substitute for meat. But he did feature some vegans and I think these were presented in a very positive way (the best I've seen on TV by far). It was generally very intricate, involved food he featured which suggested a level of inaccessibility I guess, but the people weren't steorotypes, there was no hint that they were extreme or weird and he was full of praise for the food (on its own terms, not 'it's good for vegan food').
    If anyone's interested, the part on raw vegans in last night's show was particularly positive I thought. Bottom line is that he doesn't have an issue with killing I can't have too much respect for him. But I still think he really veganism a fair airing.

Yes, I watch most of it haven't seen the last episode yet and missed last weeks as it said there were scenes of slaughtering a pig so thought I'd give that a miss. I thought it was overall positive although I did find some of it annoying for instance why did the girl who was vegetarian eat fish on the fishing trip? Also he kept telling people you could be fit and health on a vegetarian diet (the wild swimming stuff). I sometimes think does anyone really still think like this. Then think yes some people really do. Hopefully the program will be watched by his usual audience and will get the message across to people who wouldn't listen too or watch a program about veggie food made by a vegetarian.

I know, the 'vegetarian' catching and eating a fish and everyone cheering made me so angry - what was the point!?!

You're right, people are alot more likely to listen to him than a vegetarian. At least it got a vegetarian food programme on TV. Although they had to spoil it with various bits of animal violence (so the meat eaters didn't get too scared that watching a veg programme would turn them too soft or something!)...

Default Re: Article: Fearnley-Whittingstall embraces veggie meals

I found it a bit slow going and fast forwarded through much of the episodes I saw. I did think the majority of his dishes seemed to contain dairy or eggs which I found really annoying. At the end when he had everyone who had been involved in the programmes round for a meal I thought he didn't do sufficient for the vegans - I noticed the raw vegans featured brought their own dessert which was just as well as I don't think Hugh FW made anything suitable.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Yes I've just watched the last episode. The vegans only really had salad to eat. The starter and pudding weren't ok, if he invited them he should have made something they could eat. Also I didn't like how he made such a big deal about eating fish again after so long, seemed to defeat the object of the whole series really.

Today I've made the Chocolate Ganache from the raw episode, I liked it but the rest of the house found it 'odd'
    It was very expensive to make as well, didn't help that I had to buy nearly all the ingredients.
    I think the raw episode was my favorite and has had me seriously thinking about a Dehydrator.

Hi Puska

Was that the recipe with the avocado? After I watched the program, I tried making something similar I didn't have all the ingredients so improvised. We didn't like it the avocado gave it a funny taste.

Was that the recipe with the avocado?
    Yes it was, I did source all the ingredients, apart from Cacoa Powder, had to grind it myself so not quite as fine. I really enjoyed it but only one person out of 10 that's had some liked it. My Avocado bit tasted predominantly of coconut, from the oil. Also it was huge but said suitable for 6! we eat well and there is now way I would have managed a slice if it was only split 6 ways as it was quite heavy.

Mt fave bit from the series was the Japanese Temple cooking item. The couple grew their own veg and only harvested what they needed that day and used it all up. They didn't have a fridge, which seemed to freak Hugh out, so everything consumed was fresh and possibly non-dairy too.
    I've requested a Japanese veggie/vegan cookbook for Christmas as it inspired me so much!