Thread: Project - Yahoo Answers

Default Project - Yahoo Answers

Yahoo Answers is full of ignorance and idiocy.

Unfortunately it scores very high on google search rankings.

I'd like to suggest a project for anyone that's interested, that being that we make a concerted effort to give factual information in the vegetarian and vegan section of the website.

There's not an unmanageable amount of questions that get posted and the input of just a few of us could make a big difference I believe.

There's a lot of questions of where to get protein etc. the usual myths.

I think a lot of young people use Y! answers and I'd hate for them to think that veg*nism would be detrimental to their health.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: Project - Yahoo Answers

I think Yahoo Answers merely reflects how most people in society wrongly view veganism, unfortunately...
    "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men." ~Alice Walker.

I think its a good idea Risker. Good to get some accurate information out there.

friendly fri

Though it`s a great idea, generally I do not see the point, I tried it years ago, and I say let the ignorant have their say, in their way.
    When I use football forums I like to avoid the aggressive and threatening ones full of morons, similarly I avoid y answers.
    It`s chock full of buffoons.
    :D :)

I tried that as well some time ago, but I was a bit put off when I realized that there are Yahoo answers junkies out there who have either multiple accounts or a number of friends, so they post some obnoxious answers to good questions and then have 9 others vote for their junk as 'best answer'.

And, of course, when a newbie posts a question, receives a number of answers and then does not know what to make of them, and asks 'the public' to vote for the best answer, and this happens, s/he might get a wrong impression.

However, if WE do take up the work to post some good anwers AND gang up on the morons by voting for genuine good information, it might work. We could try it. But be aware that it takes some time away from other worthwile activism (or work or leisure time).

Let's make no mistake, there are a number of good contributors who post good information (at least there were the last time I checked maybe 1-2 years ago), so if some of us had the time, it might make a difference...

Best regards,
    Andy

BTW, logging on there and voting for good answers is certainly a worthwile endeavor!

You can start with http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...8030618AAzBdFd
    ;-)

Best regards,
    Andy

OK, so if you have some time, and can prepare some good answers to the most-asked questions, participate and educate the masses.

I like the question most when somebody inquires about whether a vegetarian diet is healthy, and I can sneak in the suggestion to go vegan and my reasons for doing so ... e.g. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9024758AAfU2F4

Best regards,
    Andy

I'm not at a sufficient level to vote yet. I see my answer (vegetarian from age 6 and fine, blah blah) has one plus and two minus already.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Twinkle, you now officially have a 'follower'. Unfortunately I can't give you a second 'thumbs up' (at least not on that thread)

Best regards,
    Andy

Thanks Andy I'm not sure I'll have the patience to build it up to the second level stage but I'll try to counteract some of the more "meat head" answers if I remember to look in.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

But, Twinkle, that raises an interesting question on my side - how did you go vegan at 6?
    Did your parents decide to or did you decide it yourself?

Best regards,
    Andy

Ah, unfortunately I didn't go vegan from 6 (not until I was 22, in fact), I went vegetarian at that age though partly because I was at a Steiner school with a lot of 'alternative types' - we had macrobiotic kids and a vegan kid in my class who seemed pretty healthy, and my mum had wanted to be vegetarian herself when she was young so I think she was pretty sympathetic when I said I didn't want to eat animals any more.

Twinkle, that's great nevertheless!

I am very proud that my 7-year old son has now himself (following my example, of course) decided that he wants to go vegetarian. Unfortunately his definition of 'vegetables' also includes fish and lots of cheese, but it's a step in the right direction (don't ask me why he is not a vegan in the first place, or why his 8-year-old brother wants to eat sausages - sigh).

Best regards,
    Andy

One more thing to getting this project under way ... let's always cite www.veganforum.com as one of our sources!
    If people want to inform themselves, we'd rather have them come here then elsewhere...

Also, we can then see which answer is potentially from a fellow forum member.

Can somebody comment which sections of the forum a non-member can see?
    (I might check out myself, but I'm at work right now and don'T have the time. Maybe later.)

Best regards,
    Andy

PS:
    So far, the following people are actively participating: (Please add your name to the list if you're also game)

Veganforum name .... Yahoo name
    Twinkle ...................... Emily Howarth (If that is your real name and you'd like me to remove it from this post, let me know!)
    Andy_t ....................... Andreas T

I am attempting to participate - but am finding it hard to find the time to look in.

I'm out there doing my bit, I think Andy_t might know who I am but I don't want to share my username.

I think I can guess who you are, Risker

Damn, it's addictive telling people what to do! I'm already at 157 points so maybe it won't take as long as I thought to get to level 2.

It's sad how ignorant a lot of the questioners and answerers seem to be

I bet you do twinkle I don't mind you guys knowing, just don't want it to be traceable back to here.

Nevertheless ... while there are certainly a lot of ignoramuses on Y!Answers, there are also some good people providing good answers.
    Thanks to Risker, there are now some more

Best regards,
    Andy