Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reports say "Osama Bin Laden is dead"

Default Reports say "Osama Bin Laden is dead"

Watching CNN right now, waiting for the president to make a statement.

Not real name!

Default Re: Reports say "Osama Bin Laden is dead"

Very good news although the possibility of reprisals shouldn't be discounted.

I find it worrying that there hasn't been a lot of mention of trying to capture him to bring him to trial, and decidedly odd that they then decided to bung his body in the sea. Why?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed that they did not capture him so he could stand trial for everything that he has done.

Quite a few people I have spoken with this morning think there will be reprisals from Al-Qaeda, I so hope there isnt

I'm very dubious that this has even happened, after all there is no proof. A bit like announcing that father christmas has died, and been eaten by wolves. But hey good news for the american election and the uk gets to bring in new laws to protect us from all the "terrorist" attacks that might happen. Now if only we hadn't had lots of demonstrations and civil unrest in the uk recently, maybe i wouldn't be quite so sceptical. Anyhoo looking forward to losing more of our human rights and civil liberties hohum

leedsveg

I think if the US Navy SEALS had captured him alive, they would have been in deep brown stuff with their commanders. The last thing the US wanted was a potential hostage situation ie "If you don't free Osama, we're going to kill x-number of US hostages." I imagine there will be reprisals but Al Qaida trying to kill westerners seems to be an unfortunate fact of life anyway. At least the symbolic leader is no longer around to exhort his followers to acts of violence.

I wonder if the postponement of the royal honeymoon is no coincidence?

lv

leedsveg

Quote twinkle View Post
    ... and decidedly odd that they then decided to bung his body in the sea. Why?
    That's so there's no fixed grave either for sympathisers to make a shrine, or for his enemies to desecrate. (From what I've heard so far, they didn't just 'bung his body in the sea' but also had a simple, albeit I'm sure very begrudging, Islamic service.) There's no grave for Hitler either, although of course he wasn't buried at sea. Interestingly after the Israelis hung Adolf Eichmann in 1962, they threw his cremated ashes in the Mediterranean Sea, as far away from the Israeli coast as they could get.

lv

^^^
    Leeds veg - You make some very excellent points, insightful

Quote spooky View Post
    A bit like announcing that father christmas has died, and been eaten by wolves.
    Lets keep the conversation sensible, we all know that Father Christmas is immortal.

Thanks leedsveg - the initial report I read was very sparse on details but I did then go on to read a bit more in a different one.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Totally with spooky on this one!

Body already buried at sea blah blah fish(less)cakes......F*ck off.

Could obviously be totally wrong, but all smells like a whole lotta donkey turd to me.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

He was also put to the grave at sea because its a muslim tradition and the US wanted to be respectful of the community. thats what the news said this morning.....and they didn't want him to be a martr
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Not real name!

Quote missbettie View Post
    He was also put to the grave at sea because its a muslim tradition and the US wanted to be respectful of the community. thats what the news said this morning.....and they didn't want him to be a martr
    Actually a burial at sea is not a Muslim tradition, but, if certain conditions are met, it is an acceptable alternative. For example, if the death occurs at sea and the body would be too badly decomposed before reaching land or if a land burial may be subject to people trying to dig up the corpse.

RubyDuby

I think the latter would be true in this case.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

thats just what they said on the news.. so i don't know.

I find this worrying...

Celebrating a persons death like this is the kind of behaviour that is often criticised by Western countries.

I would not feel very comfortable celebrating a persons death, I would have preferred him live and face trial.
    That notwithstanding some of these people could be family members of the 3000 people who died in the World Trade Centre, or they could be some of the 6000 people who were injured on September 11th. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but some of these people may feel they have a valid reason for wanting to celebrate Osama Bin Laden's death.

it freaks me out...I know he was a bad man, and I think he needed to die, but its just kind of gross how everyone is partying so much....i mean i don't know...

Americans have been living under the cloud of 9/11 for ten years, they have never experienced terror on that scale before. I understand the jubilance on the streets. He is responsible for mass murder. He gave up rights to everything as far as I'm concerned, the day he cheered at the pictures of the towers collapsing. People partied hard here when Hitler's death was announced.
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Yea, it really bothers me that people are celebrating so much for someone's death, but then I was never directly affected by his actions. So I don't like the idea of celebrating someone's death, but I don't blame them for doing so. However, even over here in New Zealand I'm pretty concerned about repercussions from his supporters I really really hope nothing comes of it...

cobweb

Quote Blueberry View Post
    Americans have been living under the cloud of 9/11 for ten years, they have never experienced terror on that scale before. I understand the jubilance on the streets. He is responsible for mass murder. He gave up rights to everything as far as I'm concerned, the day he cheered at the pictures of the towers collapsing. People partied hard here when Hitler's death was announced.
    I agree, though I think it would be naive to assume that his death will mean the end of modern day terrorism, sadly.

Am I correct that there is no real evidence linking BL to 911 and that he always denied having anything to do with it?

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    Am I correct that there is no real evidence linking BL to 911 and that he always denied having anything to do with it?
    The evidence in favour of the Western governments being liars against any evidence of OBL being a liar is quite overwhelming.

Killed on land, buried at sea? Come on now! lol
    All done in the best possible taste ...

leedsveg

Not sure about the evidence actually linking Bin Laden to 911 but he appears to have claimed responsibility in 2004.

lv

Quote Blueberry View Post
    True. Its just I don't know, just weird to me to celebrate death or essentially a murder like that...I mean it is justice but....

"I mourn the loss of thosands of precious lives, but i will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." -MLKJ

RubyDuby

It's nice to see some people on here defending Americans. It can get demoralizing on here with the steam of people stereotyping and jabbing us just for being Americans. It's one thing to dislike a particular person or a particular incident... hate our government, whatever, but that's not usually the case. I don't understand all the celebrating myself, but it's not like his body was dragged through the streets.

Not real name!

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    it's not like his body was dragged through the streets.
    Not unless they dropped him over Atlantis.

Too soon?

RubyDuby

*groooaaan*

PETA sending appreciation chocolates to SEALS:

"When we sent these delicious dairy-free chocolates to troops in Afghanistan a couple of years ago, they were great for cravings and target practice. Now we're sending them to the Navy SEALs who took the terrorist down in order to show our appreciation."
    (http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/a...px?PageIndex=3)

Uh....what?!!!?! Does anyone else think this is wrong or is it just me?

cobweb

I think it's wrong, like a lot of things PeTA do............

I find it ALL very sad, but then that's human beings for you. I hope one day aliens come here and take us all over...........then we'll all wonder why on earth we used to fight amongst ourselves.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I think there's a good chance they are already here, Dr Who on Saturday night?

Ha ha! That's what us humans would need to give us a good shakeup!Maybe aliens will come here one day, we'd be pretty smug to think we are the only life forms out there.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    I find it ALL very sad, but then that's human beings for you. I hope one day aliens come here and take us all over...........then we'll all wonder why on earth we used to fight amongst ourselves.
    I found it pretty disgusting too. Sure he did some awful, horrible terrible things and was generally awful, but celebrating like that .... It made me feel ill actually

Silence all the way!! Woo!
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

leedsveg

In line with what Bluberry and Bearshark have posted, I can understand why some people initially celebrated Bin Laden's death.

lv

I can understand the impulse to celebrate, but I wish people had resisted it, from the point of view of both decency and prudence.

As for Peta joining in...well, I'm not all that surprised

cobweb

^ agreed

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    I can understand the impulse to celebrate, but I wish people had resisted it, from the point of view of both decency and prudence.
    Probably people were saying something similar after the death of Guy Fawkes, but over 400 years later on 5 November every year...

lv

I can't say I find that very tasteful either LV! The saving grace is that most people don't really associate it with the death of Guy Fawkes or with sectarianism any more, I don't think (except in Lewes perhaps...)

^Ha ha, the Guy Fawkes thing! I always used to think it was very disrespectful to Guy Fawkes to "burn a Guy" on the bonfire. I'd have liked to burn a model parliment instead

I guess the reason he wasn't captured might be because he might know some 'embarassing' things about Bush and what the US government has been up to. Now he's been silenced.

Now he's been silenced
    Thats if he ever existed in the first place

leedsveg

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Thats if he ever existed in the first place
    I understand that his family knew him quite well.

lv

Not real name!

Quote leedsveg View Post

lv
    Such a perfect and subtle reply. I applaud your style.

Quote leedsveg View Post

lv
    There are some "Theories" that he never existed, the suicide bombers all died on 9/11 and someone was needed to take the blame so they invented Osama Bin Laden, thats why they have never caught him and why he was "buried at sea".
    I'm not sure about it myself but its worth some though?

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Such a perfect and subtle reply. I applaud your style.
    This may make me sound like a daft shit but I completely agree with you

i really don't like the conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11, or the inside job stuff...it seriously bothers me...

i really don't like the conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11, or the inside job stuff...it seriously bothers me...
    No offence meant missbettie, as I said I'm not convinced myself.

I know you meant no offence. Its just so freaking annoying when people spurt it out, its just disrespectful IMO.

I know you meant no offence. Its just so freaking annoying when people spurt it out, its just disrespectful IMO.
    I guess with it being 10 years ago, and living in a different country I tend to forget how horrific it was.
    Ill try and think before opening my cake hole in future.

no no no!! I didn't mean to imply that you were being disrespectful. keep talking, i mean its good to question things and have discussions about it.