Thread: "Vegan babies - a new trend?"

Default "Vegan babies - a new trend?"

Vegan Babies: A New Trend?

Hollywood stars taking up veganism is nothing new: plenty of celebs -- Jessica Simpson and Olivia Wilde among them -- value forgoing animal products in favor of a plant-based diet. Last January, even our former cheeseburger-loving president, Bill Clinton, jumped on the bandwagon as a health precaution.

But vegan babies? Yes. Alicia Silverstone has been raising her three-month-old baby, Bear Blu, on a strictly vegan diet. And they're not just in Hollywood: Many parents are raising their children on a meat, fish, dairy and yes, even honey-free diet (don't forget about those bees).

"To raise our kids vegan was never really a question," said Caity McCardell, 43, a mom of two and blogger who lives in Oceano, Calif. McCardell and her husband have raised their daughter and son vegan since they were born (the children are now 6 and 8-years-old).
    More here.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: "Vegan babies - a new trend?"

I've just read that post and sadly the majority of comments are the usual blinkered, ignorant cr*p that alot of meat eaters come out with. I can only assume that they feel this need to slag others off so vehemently because they have something lacking in themselves. I've been vegan for 24 years' and whereas people used to be mildly curious and polite about my diet, I find that nowadays people are a bit more aggressive and unaccepting or is that change because I'm bringing my daughter up vegan? I don't know but it hacks me off anyway
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

I think it was a pretty fair piece. I also read the first page of comments and had to roll my eyes a number of times. Veganprin - I've also noticed how downright hostile a lot of people can be at the mere mention of my being a vegan. It's very surreal and can often be quite upsetting to be insulted like that.
    It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions ~ Mark Twain

By focusing on possible negative comments as a result of going vegan (which I've never got, by the way), we just give these people and that attitude nourishment. IMHO it's better to just ignore these comments than to distribute info about their existence. If some insecure person considering going vegan hear that s/he may get negative comments from meat eaters if s/he goes vegan, we may just make a little more difficult to decide to go vegan.

These meat eaters may have a general focus on negativity (in other aspects of life as well). The ratio of omnivores who would write something negative about veganism vs. those who won't is probably close to 1:1 billion.

When we moan about their negativity, we just adapt their negativism, give it energy, and actually distribute it. They are the 'trolls' of real life, and seriously deserve to be ignored.

I understand your comment Korn and it's nice that you've never got negative comments from others about being a vegan but a lot of us have and when you're bringing up a young child as a vegan they have to be prepared for the comments and curiousity of others. It's not always possible to ignore others and I'd rather teach my daughter how to counter that negativity rather than have her just ignore it.
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Quote veganprin View Post
    I understand your comment Korn and it's nice that you've never got negative comments from others about being a vegan but a lot of us have and when you're bringing up a young child as a vegan they have to be prepared for the comments and curiousity of others.
    Hi!
    My 10 year old son is a lifelong vegan, and I don't think he ever has received any negative comments either... but point is that if some people, based on own/isolated experiences, portray going vegan as something which is associated with some universal law about getting negative comments from others, fewer people will attempt going vegan, because unfortunately, not all people are more focused on 'popular' than 'honest'.
    My son is very relaxed about it, and handles comments and questions from others well. But people clearly show respect, and I just think it's important to share that some people may get negative reactions while others don't. It would be interesting to know why some people (insist that they) only get negative comments....