Thread: Help!

Default Help!

OK, so I've just moved into my first ever flat with my boyfriend and I'm responsible for all the cooking (didn't fancy food poisoning much!). The problem is that all the inspiration I had at home has somehow fizzled out and I'm on a tight budget - can anyone on here help me out?I need budget friendly, tasty meals you've tried, tested and loved..
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Help!

Congratulations on the new flat though it sounds as if you got the short straw re cooking!

I was just recommending this thread to someone else as it has ideas for feeding yourself on a budget, though not necessarily all that many recipes

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...n-cheap-living

There are quite a lot of recipes elsewhere on the forum. It can be more economical to start with ingredients and then decide what to make - if you use what's in season locally it's cheaper.

I don't use recipes much but I have a few general-purpose dishes that I adapt according to what I've got. For example you can make a stir-fry out of most vegetables as long as they cook fairly quickly. Cabbage, carrots, peppers and mushrooms are a good combination. Cut them into fairly even-sized chunks. Chop some garlic and ginger finely, and fry that for a minute or two in a tbsp of groundnut oil until it smells nice. Add the rest of your vegetables (not necessarily all at once - I like the cabbage to be lightly cooked) and stir-fry those until they are hot but still have plenty of bite. Add a handful of nuts, e.g. almonds or cashews (or add some cubed marinated tofu). Add a splodge of soy sauce and a splodge of sherry or white wine (or water), and some chilli flakes if you like, stir, and continue to cook until the sauce is hot. Serve with noodles or rice.