Thread: Mainstream Ciders

Default Mainstream Ciders

Anyone know which of the mainstream ciders (easily found in pubs) are vegan?

I love the Westons ciders but hardly spot these in pubs.

Default Re: Mainstream Ciders

I know that four brothers cider is Vegan but I'm not sure if you'll find it in pubs. You could try checking veggiewines.co.uk and barnivore?

The Lurker

Unfortunately the pub mainstays of Magners (except Pear), Bulmers, Strongbow, Kopparberg, Gaymers and Blackthorn are all not vegan.

Brothers is vegan as is Magners Pear cider - if you ever see them.

Pretty poor show if you ask me - I love the Westons stuff but it doesn't half get me pissed too easily . . .

Quote The Lurker View Post
    Unfortunately the pub mainstays of Magners (except Pear), Bulmers, Strongbow, Kopparberg, Gaymers and Blackthorn are all not vegan.

Brothers is vegan as is Magners Pear cider - if you ever see them.

Pretty poor show if you ask me - I love the Westons stuff but it doesn't half get me pissed too easily . . .
    What?!
    I assumed they were vegan because Stereo in Glasgow serves them (at least Bulmers, Strongbow and Kopparberg) and it's an all-vegan place. I even got some the other day (I think it was Bulmers). I'm very disappointed

The Lurker

Tell me about it - I've been drinking Strongbow for years on the basis that they were vegan based on the info in an iphone app. I asked Strongbow directly a month or so ago and they said nope, afraid not, this is backed up on barnivore.

Gutted

Gah, vegan alcohol is something I can never seem to get right. Information is just too discordant. I feel like I should write a rant email to Stereo but at the same time I know I would regret it half an hour later.

The Lurker

If you have facebook, most of these brands have their own page - I posted the question on each of their walls to get an official response and also to raise the issue in a public kind of way. If more people do this it might get them thinking?

Quote The Lurker View Post
    I love the Westons stuff but it doesn't half get me pissed too easily . . .
    I know the feeling. Doesn't help being a total lightweight anyway! lol

Have to keep an eye open for Magners pear, quite keen on pear cider anyway so that would be a good one.

I also used to drink Strongbow. Don't know when it changed as when I started drinking it it was vegan but now they say it isn't on their website FAQ.

If you feel like drinking cider at home, Morrisons are selling 8 cans of brothers strawberry cider for £10, or 2 for £15?

Quote Firestorm View Post
    If you feel like drinking cider at home, Morrisons are selling 8 cans of brothers strawberry cider for £10, or 2 for £15?
    I'll have to check those out. Not tried any of the Brothers ciders before.

On another note has anyone spotted the Westons pear cider in any supermarkets this year? I can't seem to find any by me but was quite easy to get last year.

The Lurker

Quote Simon View Post
    On another note has anyone spotted the Westons pear cider in any supermarkets this year? I can't seem to find any by me but was quite easy to get last year.
    I may be wrong but the last time I was in Tesco I'm sure the Weston's Pear cider had changed label to a 'Tesco Finest' kind of joint brand - I had a look at the label on the back and it didn't mention being veggie or vegan (as Weston's usually does) so I left it. I'll need to double check I wasn't dreaming though . . .

I've Just got back from tesco with 24 brothers pear ciders and 8 pear magners, all for £20. The brothers seems like quite a nice one, quite strong at 7% though. The magners isn't bad too. Went to a huge huge tesco and they didn't have any pear westons or their finest pear stuff to check out. But I have heard waitrose stocks the pear westons so may have to check that out soon!

Rightee, in regards to Strongbow cider (I emailed the company), here's the reply I received :

Dear Lee

Thank you for your e-mail

Two of our products, Bulmers Original and Jacques use an animal product as a colouring material. Our other ciders including Strongbow do not use any animal products as ingredients. However some of our processes mean that very small amounts of these ciders may come in contact with our other ciders, and as such we can't guarantee that any of our ciders are suitable for vegetarians/vegans

Kind Regards

Maria Carter
    Consumer Relations Executive

So, really, it's down to your own choice whether you want to "risk" it.

One of the forum members on here questioned the makers of strongbow and found that during periods of high demand they use imported products that may or may not be vegan.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth