Thread: UK: Commercial "luxury" vegan biscuits/cookies

Default UK: Commercial "luxury" vegan biscuits/cookies

I've noticed a lot of the time, high-end biscuits and cookies seem to equate "luxury" with including butter in the ingredients. Can anyone point me in the direction of any quality biscuits (preferably of the stuffed full of chocolate/nuts/dried fruit variety) that are either accidentally or purposefully vegan?

I do realise I could make my own, but I want some pre-packaged ones to keep on standby.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Default Re: Commercial "luxury" vegan biscuits/cookies

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want and I expect you know about them already - but those tiffin things they sell in the allergy section of Waitrose must be "quality" judging by the price At any rate I have taken them to posh picnics etc and they seem to go down well with everyone including omnivores. They have millionaire's shortbread as well but the underneath part of those is a bit strange IMO.

Ah, yes I have tried those. I guess they'd do in a pinch, although I wasn't that impressed with them. The shortbread tastes a bit like mayo to me :s
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I agree about the Millionaire shortbread!

You could try these in Morrisons - they seem accidentally vegan.
    Also I can vouch for the Dame Blanch ones in VX but they seem to have vanished.
    I also like Doves Farm double choc chip- they are expensive (therefore should be luxury) but are a bit dry.
    I also love Nana's from VeganStore.
    Other than that you could try covering Bourbon's in melted chocolate and having Vegan penguins!

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Other than that you could try covering Bourbon's in melted chocolate and having Vegan penguins!
    what a simply WONDERFUL idea!!!!!!!

Also those Nairns' oatcakes that have fruit and stuff in them are vegan I believe (they may contain palm oil though). Not sure if they are luxurious enough for twinkle's purposes, but they are widely available and quite popular.

now let me see, nairn oatcakes or chocolate covered bourbon biscuits......hmmmm.......

Thanks harpy. I do have some of the Nairns oatcakes (and also some Sainsbury's pumpkin seed savoury ones) but I've been wanting something a bit more decadent to supplement the pile of refreshments to offer the midwives and other visitors

Went to Morrisons today and got some of the double chocolate and double chocolate with orange big cookies Firestorm mentioned, and they were on special offer - bonus!

^ Have you seen the Fairtrade ones that Oxfam sell? Well, mine stocks them at least. Think they are called Traidcraft or somesuch, nomtastic! Have had them in the past, so hope to goodness they are indeed vegan! Or were...

Update = these:

http://www.simplyfair.co.uk/acatalog/info_600135.html
    http://www.simplyfair.co.uk/acatalog/info_600136.html
    http://www.simplyfair.co.uk/acatalog/info_600134.html

(have never tried the choc chip ones)
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Ooh, yes, I forgot about those ones, they are nice! I will nip and get some tomorrow

Do you have a HomeBargains near you? They sell these which appear vegan:http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.c...s.php3?item=27

I do, but I think there might be regional differences - I looked for the chocolate peanut butter you mentioned and couldn't find any in the one in Leicester (of course, it could have just been out of stock, it's not near enough to me to check frequently). If my parents take me shopping when they come to visit this Friday I might see if I can have a look though

Quote twinkle View Post
    I've noticed a lot of the time, high-end biscuits and cookies seem to equate "luxury" with including butter in the ingredients. Can anyone point me in the direction of any quality biscuits (preferably of the stuffed full of chocolate/nuts/dried fruit variety) that are either accidentally or purposefully vegan?

I do realise I could make my own, but I want some pre-packaged ones to keep on standby.
    If you are after quality wheat, gluten and dairy-free biscuits with no additives, try 'Against the Grain' biscuits with choices that include choc chip, fruit, almond, ginger.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I looked for the chocolate peanut butter you mentioned and couldn't find any in the one in Leicester
    I have just been to Sainsburys and seen that they have choc chip pnb!

Edit: Its at the very bottom of the screen - link would not work properly

http://paperbagblog.files.wordpress....pg?w=600&h=800

I found these biscuits in Wholefoods in Kensington a little while ago, and they're really yummy (and luxury!) They cost I think around £2.99 and had other flavours. The company is called Against The Grain and all of the products are suitable for vegans.
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

These are yum. They are accidentally vegan. (not the chocolat covered ones)

^^ The spread they make is a gift from the Gods. Expensive but wonderful

Here the spread is not that expensive 2.95 EUR (/ 2.54 GBP / 4.08 USD) for 700 grams. There are other brands (supermarket own brand) that are cheaper and good too.

In the UK we have to buy it online, with postage it costs about £8 (about 9.35 Euro, 12.86 USD)

Default Re: UK: Commercial "luxury" vegan biscuits/cookies

I've been looking into getting some to Canada and it's crazy expensive in shipping.

Quote Troutina View Post
    http://paperbagblog.files.wordpress....pg?w=600&h=800

I found these biscuits in Wholefoods in Kensington a little while ago, and they're really yummy (and luxury!) They cost I think around £2.99 and had other flavours. The company is called Against The Grain and all of the products are suitable for vegans.
    Hey see my post 2 above.......I thought I found these first!

Quote mutuality View Post
    Hey see my post 2 above.......I thought I found these first!
    Oh sorry, haha! Completely missed your comment!
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

Not sure if this is the right thread for these, but Co-Op appear to be making Vegan Oreo-ish cookies (they contain a couple of ingredients that may need checking first):

UK McVitie's Digestive has a biscuit that has all vegan ingredients, however they "may contain milk" (allergy warning??)

The Indian version of the same biscuit contains milk solids

Some of the Traidcraft ones that they sell in Oxfam shops now seem to be vegan - the ones with fruit, nuts and chocolate (not necessarily in that order). They have a x-contamination warning for the chocolate chips but otherwise look OK to me and I thought they were pretty good.

Quote harpy View Post
    Some of the Traidcraft ones that they sell in Oxfam shops now seem to be vegan - the ones with fruit, nuts and chocolate (not necessarily in that order). They have a x-contamination warning for the chocolate chips but otherwise look OK to me and I thought they were pretty good.
    Gywdion sent me some of those, and the stem ginger ones in my food swap parcel, they're really good!
    Houmous atá ann!

Oh, I must try those as well then, Blueberries (not that biscuits are really one of the things that are missing from my diet ). Traidcraft also seem to do some muesli and stuff that's vegan now - at one time it all seemed to have honey in it.

I always avoid the ones which contain palm oil in it. Whereas you are not supporting the meat industry, palm oil causes the dead of thousands of orangutans, oblige people leave the place where they live in and is triggering asasination of peasants. Palm oil is NOT vegan.