Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Vegan New York

Default Re: Vegan New York

Red Bamboo, Red Bamboo, RED BAMBOO!!!!
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I just don't get what the big deal with red bamboo is!!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Mmmm....Red Bamboo's menu is enticing!
    I'll run these by my man and see what he thinks.
    We also have to find something to eat for lunch on Saturday, but I'm thinking something light since we are having a nice dinner that night. Maybe a raw place...?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

has anybody else been to curly's? I thought it was yummy, different and not too expensive.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Have any of you ever eaten at HanGawi? I have never eaten at a vegan korean place and I'm intrigued...
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I've done Curly's for brunch. It was really good. I'd love to try there lunch or dinner stuff though.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I have always been a bit disappointed when I've eaten at Curly's, except for when I had the brunch.
    I think I tried Hangwai a few years back but can't recall much about it without reading any descriptions in the Vegan New York guide book (which may jog my memory)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I just don't get what the big deal with red bamboo is!!
    The big deal is that it's yummy and scrummy and decent portions and did I say yummy?

Btw the portions at Red Bamboo seemed enormous to us. We normally ordered a few starters and a few side dishes, you get to try more items that way too. (The creole chicken was my favourite.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I was thinking 'finally, a place with proper portions' lol
    could easily have eaten starter plus main plus desert plus extra for the subway ride

(mind you bryzee will confirm that basically all I did the entire time I was there was eat, and eat and seek out a cup of tea, I seem to remember that I had a bag of crisps (some bags did even say crisps) on every subway ride)

Thanks for the help guys.
    While we were there we ate at a late night veg place/bar called Kate's Joint (on Friday just after getting in). Saturday we had Curly's for brunch and Candle 79 for dinner. On Sunday before leaving we had Red Bamboo for lunch (I had the creole chicken, Marrers and it was excellent; I even had leftovers to eat for dinner last night after driving home!)...and Babycakes to take with us!

Yum yum.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I always over-order the creole chicken now just before I go home so I have something to eat on the plane!

can't wait to be able to afford to go on holiday to NYC again,
    I bought three teany club sandwiches and a slice of amazingly good chocolate fudge cake for on the plane. That was a good plane journey.

RubyDuby

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.
    While we were there we ate at a late night veg place/bar called Kate's Joint (on Friday just after getting in). Saturday we had Curly's for brunch and Candle 79 for dinner. On Sunday before leaving we had Red Bamboo for lunch (I had the creole chicken, Marrers and it was excellent; I even had leftovers to eat for dinner last night after driving home!)...and Babycakes to take with us!

Yum yum.
    sounds like a great trip! did you take pics?

kate's joint was yum, but high prices for small portions I thought. What did you order at each restaurant?

I am hoping going to be visiting New York City for a week in September. Not booked any flights yet but very excited!! I will be posting here nearer the time for recommendations for vegan eateries and also any 'must see/do' activities in NYC (I am guessing there are lots!)
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    kate's joint was yum, but high prices for small portions I thought. What did you order at each restaurant?
    Hmmm...let's see. At Kate's I got a buffalo tofu sandwich and fries, and my fiance and I split the sesame tofu sticks with ginger dipping sauce. I thought the sandwich was delish...it had a great sauce. He got a pizza burger that IMO was good, but nothing special.
    At Curly's I had their breakfast enchilada, which contained scrambled tofu and spinach with sides of beans and veggies. It was a ton of food. Robbie had some sort of chicken bacon ranch sandwich I think, that he was really pleased with.
    At Candle 79 we split a starter of butternut squash/cashew cream ravioli that was amazing and left me wanting more I had a garlicky seitan picatta variation (their entree special for the night) over mashed potatoes with some vegetables. We split a canoli with chocolate sauce and choc. chip ice cream for dessert. Heaven.
    At Red Bamboo we ordered a ton of food so we would have leftovers. For starters, we ordered buffalo wings and asian dumplings, and as entrees we had creole chicken with mashed potatoes and mango chicken and veggies. It was all very good, but I liked the creole chicken with this tangy yummy dipping sauce the best.

I liked my dinner at Candle 79 the best...but it was a special occasion and we will likely not go back the next time I visit. I am looking forward to trying Candle Cafe if we go again (a bit more in my price range). Other than that...we both liked Red Bamboo the best of of the other places.
    Last edited by fondducoeur; Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

RubyDuby

re red bamboo: did you like the asian dumplings? I think we got those and thought they were blah... soggy and tasteless. Everything else was really good, but the place was overcrowded and I was sat under an air conditioner on a cold rainy day... ruined my experience.
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added

leedsveg

Probably told the tale before but 5 years ago, Mrs Leedsveg and I went to the Chinese restaurant, House of Vegetarian on Mott St. We ordered the two most expensive main course dishes at $12 each, the other main courses being only $6. Mine was 'cod balls' in batter with rice, and whatever Mrs Lv had with her rice, we've forgotten. Anyway when they brought the 'cod' and 'forgotten' dishes in, there was easily enough for 5 or 6 people, maybe more. And then they brought us each a bucket of rice.....

Candle 79 restaurant seemed nice until our waiter told us that it was frequented by Sir Paul and Yoko Ono, but never at the same time because they don't get on. We had visions of them arriving simultaneously that evening, causing a scene and us having to tell them to behave or we'd ask for them to be thrown out. Fortunately they didn't appear and spoil our evening.

leedsveg
    Last edited by leedsveg; Feb 18th, 2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarity

I went to NYC last week and had an amazing holiday and found it SO much more vegan friendly then here in the UK.i've had a nosy through this thread and can't see any mention of Peacefood Cafe.it's on Upper West Side towards Central Park. I had my "birthday meal" there and it was lovely.such a laid back atmosphere, everything vegan and healthy but YUM.i honestly felt good after eating there.anyone else tried it?

(sorry if it has already been mentioned- i did a forum search and couldn't find anything either)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    re red bamboo: did you like the asian dumplings? I think we got those and thought they were blah... soggy and tasteless. Everything else was really good, but the place was overcrowded and I was sat under an air conditioner on a cold rainy day... ruined my experience.
    I only like them soggy, to me dumplings of all kinds, English or Asian should be soggy, really not a fan of crispy ones. If I was sat under an air-conditioning unit that wasn't needed in the weather I'd ask them to turn it off/ down.

I saw the Peacefood Cafe had opened when I was there in December but didn't go. Nice to have a review.

I know the table u mean RubyDuby, the first one behind the counter on the right. We found it annoying too.

My friend is visiting New York later this year, and I want to send him with a shopping list - any suggestions of sweets or other goodies he'll be able to get a lot cheaper or more easily than if I mail ordered?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

RubyDuby

Quote bradders View Post
    I only like them soggy, to me dumplings of all kinds, English or Asian should be soggy, really not a fan of crispy ones. If I was sat under an air-conditioning unit that wasn't needed in the weather I'd ask them to turn it off/ down.
    I wasn't complaining that they weren't fried. I like steamed dumplings too, but these were thick skinned, almost not even cooked all the way, wet and soggy. Everything else was really, really good though.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I know the table u mean RubyDuby, the first one behind the counter on the right. We found it annoying too.
    that's the one!

They took our number while we waited and called when the table was ready. Then as we were waiting for our food my phone rang again, but I didn't recognize the number and it was super loud in there so didn't answer. When it rang again I picked up and it was the guy behind the counter, 2 feet from us, calling again to let us know our table was ready. oops.

Quote Ribbon View Post
    I went to NYC last week and had an amazing holiday and found it SO much more vegan friendly then here in the UK.i've had a nosy through this thread and can't see any mention of Peacefood Cafe.it's on Upper West Side towards Central Park. I had my "birthday meal" there and it was lovely.such a laid back atmosphere, everything vegan and healthy but YUM.i honestly felt good after eating there.anyone else tried it?

(sorry if it has already been mentioned- i did a forum search and couldn't find anything either)
    Thanks for sharing! I really like the sound of this place.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote twinkle View Post
    My friend is visiting New York later this year, and I want to send him with a shopping list - any suggestions of sweets or other goodies he'll be able to get a lot cheaper or more easily than if I mail ordered?
    The Jokerz bars etc seemed the same price to me so not worth buying. All the things below can't be bought in the UK as far as I know (although Sweet and Sara marshmallows can be - see stockists page).

Cocoa V is a totally vegan chocolate shop.

Sweet and Sara smores (from Wholefoods),
    Chew-its dark Peanut Chews (in red packaging) from many corner shops and street stands. Many corner shops sell vegan cookies too.

There will be various vegan treats like cookies (Boston cookies are a really nice brand and Alternative Baking Company cookies are good too) in the bakery section in Wholefoods too. I also like Laura's Wholesome Junk Food bitelets although it is probably something you could make yourself if you are any sort of cook. I like the fudge and the lemon-vanilla best.

If he is a very good friend he might bring you a slice or two of cake from Atlas Cafe in his hand luggage - I do for my friends! All the cakes are vegan and soooo good. The double chocolate cake and the fudge cake are my favourites.

Pics here of the double chocolate cake and chocolates from Cocoa V.

Edit to add - more cake pics here.
    Last edited by Marrers; Mar 4th, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: to add another pic

RubyDuby

marrers- that last link isn't working for me.

eta: nm, it's working now. I think it was a vf prob.
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Mar 4th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Mahk View Post
    The very first person who can demonstrate a brand of beer sold in America, available in supermarkets or Astor wines with either the actual word "vegan" on the label or the "Vegan Society Flower" will get a free beer from me and/or I will do a humiliation dance for all and admit publicly I was wrong. Think how good that would make you all feel. Come on people, just one brand, that's all it takes.
    I know Mahk is no longer here so we will not be treated to the 'humiliation dance' but I found a huge range of vegan labelled wines in a normal wine shop on my last trip to New York. Here are two which I bought.

RubyDuby

What was the "normal shop"? NYC may as well be it's own country.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I know Mahk is no longer here so we will not be treated to the 'humiliation dance' but I found a huge range of vegan labelled wines in a normal wine shop on my last trip to New York. Here are two which I bought.
    hahaha - IN YOUR FACE!

Ruby I didn't say because I couldn't remember but you've made me trawl my brain and it was this one - Warehouse Wines & Spirits (which just happened to be opposite where we were staying, so I presume any similar store would stock a good range).

In case anyone is interested they also sell alcohol-free wine which I know is vegan (from research the Alcohol-Free Shop and Lo-No companies here have done). The fizzy stuff is really quite good

RubyDuby

What's the brand on the first bottle? I will def look for Stellar Organics next time I'm in a liquor store. I've never seen the word Vegan on a wine bottle like that around here... I prob would have in LA but didn't drink much wine when I was there. There just isn't a call for it in most places like there is in NYC.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    What's the brand on the first bottle?
    I can't remember but can see from the photo the back label says OrganicWineWorks.com

RubyDuby

thank you ma'am. Always looking for new choices!

Thanks Marrers!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Vegan World Tr

Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown, Candle Cafe, Angelica's Kitchen, & Babycakes Bakery are THE BEST in NYC!!

I am going to New York City in two weeks time for five days. I am so excited, I can't wait. I have not been through this thread fully yet but I am looking for recommendations for foody places if anyone would like to share? The best restaurant I have ever eaten in was Millennium in San Francisco - if there was an equivalent in NYC I think I will die of happiness...

^ I haven't been to Millennium so I don't know, but the food is so amazing, I do miss it. I don't think I can add much to all the places listed already- lots by me. Have a great trip! If you don't gain 10 pounds then you didn't do it right

I have discussed my NY trip earlier in this thread, but my suggestions would be Candle 79 if you are looking for fancy atmosphere and more gourmet vegan food (as well as more expensive), and Red Bamboo for a cheaper (but still incredibly delicious) dining experience. However, there were so many places that I didn't get a chance to try when I was there!
    Enjoy your trip!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Oh, and whatever you do, do not miss Lula's icecream shop.

Thanks guys! I am not a huge ice cream fan actually (I much prefer chocolate and cake) but thank you for the suggestions.

So I just came back from New York yesterday. Wow - what a place - I absolutely loved it! Also I have never been anywhere so vegan friendly - the choice of food and wine was fantastic. My favourite restaurants that I went to were Blossom and Counter and for food alone, Zen Palate. My overall favourite place was Candle Cafe however - how I wish it was here!!!

Thanks everyone for posting their experiences/recommendations - it really helped this English visitor and I loved the fact that many of the places I went to were frequented by locals rather than being on the tourist trail.

Glad you liked it. Hearing you talk about all my favorite places made me a bit home sick...

I haven't been to New York in over a year and wondered if there was anything new I should know about? I'm visiting there again in just over a week.

Also I'd love to know if any of the chain coffee shops etc that I'll find everywhere do a vegan chai latte - in the UK I have found the chai mix they all use as a base contains milk powder and/or honey.

Thanks.

I know that Starbucks's Vanilla Bean powder doesn't contain any animal derived ingredients, and if you ask them to mix it with soy milk you're good.

Aside from that, I haven't been to the city in a while so I can't help you there...all the old ones are still goodies!

Thanks for the reply terem. Vanilla bean powder and soya milk doesn't sound much like a chai though - it needs spices!

Starbucks Chais have honey in them that's the only non-vegan thing. I really don't have a grasp on the cafés in New York anymore, but I do know that my local Whole Foods uses and sells this chai mix: http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/masal...ncentrate.html it's really good too. There are several Whole Foods in the City so I would advise you to check it out! They wil also add whatever milk you want, not just soy milk they also offer various nut-milks.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I haven't been to New York in over a year and wondered if there was anything new I should know about? I'm visiting there again in just over a week.
    Hello Marrers - a friend who has been liked the following places, don't know if any of them are new since you were last there.

Candle Cafe (informal)
    Candle 79 (formal)
    Green Bean Cafe (very small, casual)
    Good Health Natural Cafe (not exclusively vegetarian)

He also mentioned this blog http://supervegan.com/

Hope you have a good time, you lucky thing.

andybuildz

Lived in NY my entire life and have been to most all the restaurants y'all spoke about but my favorite hands down is Angelica's Kitchen. Look through their website and philosophy. Their cookbook is awesome as well... http://www.angelicakitchen.com/

I know and love many of the NYC vegan restaurants and stores that are mentioned here. But what about hotels? It's a drag to pay several hundred dollars a night and then get funny looks when you so much as ask for soy milk in your coffee....

If I stay in hotels I always go out to eat, even for coffee - there is usually a coffee shop nearby. Good hotels should be able to put a fridge in your room if you request it but I prefer to stay in an apartment where I can stock up on the stuff I want to eat and have access to a fridge and a freezer.
    There are a few sites which list apartments available for rent from a few days to a few weeks - I've always used NYHabitat.

Also in case people hadn't heard Counter has now (finally) closed down.