Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan New York

Talking Visiting New York, NY

Any suggestions on great vegan places to eat at in Manhattan. We will be in mid-Manhattan mid Sept. Also any great places to pick up some great take home food that we can take back to the hotel later that wouldn't involve microwaves or cooking. Thank you and peace.

There are so many places to eat in Manhattan I don't know where to start...
    Temple In The Village on 74 West 3rd Street right by Washington Square Park is one option for the hotel room. It's a Chinese buffet and the food is sold by weight. One book that I picked up at Mooshoes is The Vegan Guide to New York City. It's available at Amazon and it's got over 100--yes one hundred restaurants in it.

Have fun!

Thumbs up The NYC Vegan Guide

The New York City Vegan Guide to the Lower East Side. Click.
    Last edited by gertvegan; Oct 16th, 2004 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks much

Thumbs up

New York City for vegetarians and vegans on a budget, HERE.

Default A vegan week in New York

My family and I are going to New York City for a week, and I was wondering if there were any new yorkers around who would have some suggestions for some great restaurants that we could go to. I've heard of a few that I'd like to go to (Quintessence..any good?) but other than that I dont know too much.
    Thanks
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

PinkFluffyCloud

PM Felin01!!!
    She's always telling me about these lovely Vegan eating places in NYC.

Apparently 'Teany', Moby's restaurant isnt strictly veggie or vegan - how disappointing

Quote cedarblue
    Apparently 'Teany', Moby's restaurant isnt strictly veggie or vegan - how disappointing
    And it's full of pretentious gits but there is a great vegan shoe store around the corner

MooShoes rules. (Allen Street)

Restaurants: Red Bamboo, Kate's Joint, VP2, Zen Palate

Red Bamboo's soul chicken, yummm. Kate's ceasar salad and chicken fried tofu, yumm. I prefer Veggie Dim Sum to VP2 and never liked Zen Palate. Candle Cafe's anything. Gobo's anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. How are the prices at the vegan shoe store? Is it called Mooshoes? I'd really like to get a pair of vegan shoes while I'm there
    "Can't Fly, Can't Fight, Can't Crow"
    -Rufeo

Check out their website, www.mooshoes.com for prices. The prices are the same online or in the store, just no shipping of course! I paid $70 for my Vegetarian Shoes loafers the last time I was there.

Default Re: Vegan New York

We just had another wonderful meal at Candle 79 last week. If you can go, then do it. Everything is organic, in season and vegan. All of the wines are vegan and organic. And the food is really good this time of year when so much is in season. Need another reason? They just started making their own ice cream/sorbet and it is fabulous. It may be more upscale and pricey than some other vegan restaurants, but go if you can.

Okay, I really like the place.

VeganJohn

The place looks fantastic from the website! Glad you had a good meal there. I hope to visit New York next year and it will be on my list of places to eat at. I purchased a 'Vegan guide to New York' last year and there are some great looking restaurants.

I might even order their cookbook, I do like it when restaurants have their own recipes for sale

Hi John!

I have their cookbook and some of the recipes are great, some just okay. If you want to preview any of them just let me know and I'll scan and send to you.

Mmmmm - their menu looks so good!

We were looking at New York as a possible vacation destination for next year. What is the best time to visit the city?

Is New York an expensive city? It looks like we can get a flight and hotel accommodation for $3500-$4000 for 2 people.

If it's going to be too expensive, we'll skip it and look for another, less-expensive destination.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated

Roxy, New York can be as expensive as you want but it can also be done on a budget. There are many guide books that can direct you much better than I. (Actually, Gertvegan put in a link above.) Once you have a place to stay, the city is full of public transportation and relatively inexpensive restaurants. I would visit in the spring or autumn, the summer can get malodorous during hot, humid days when the garbage hasn't been collected.

When you get closer to your trip, let me know and I can send you some information about places to eat. And thanks for the help with Vancouver.

You're welcome and thanks for the tips!

Since our trip to Australia, I am getting itchy feet again lol and have already started to look into where to go for next year's vacation.

We want to go back to Australia in 2007, so we are trying to keep next year's vacation as inexpensive as we can with doing one of those "all inclusive resort" style trips. Ugh!

Last night we had dinner at Pure Food and Wine. It's the uber-restaurant of raw foods. It was fantastic, just unbelievably good. And I got a tour of the kitchen (they're very nice that way). They also have a cookbook so I have a new addition to my library. It was expensive but worth every penny - we went for an anniversary. We'll go back soon I hope. If you are in New York - Go to this restaurant!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

You guys have to try this place called Sacred Chow. It a great vegan restaurant. They have the best soups and pizzas. I was in Manhattan 2 years ago in December. We stayed at the Essex House across from Central Park. I froze my arse, but was happy to run into this place with hot yummy soup. They also have really good desserts. I also ate at a really good indian restaurant but I cant remeber the name.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

I passed by Sacred Chow once and the place was empty. I was afraid that they had gone out of business but it turns out that they just moved locations.

My omni fiance bought me The Vegan Guide to New York City from the author at the farmer's market in Union Square Mine's autographed AND has a chocolate fingerprint from his vegan chocolate bar - hehe!

Anyway, I moved to B'lyn 4 months ago and am finally working my way to the various vegan places. Something about Foodswings' no-chicken parm weirded me out - I don't know if it was the soy cheese or what. I got a milkshake though and it ROCKED. I was at Tiengarden and was poor, but got some good skewered stuff w/ peanutty sauce and it was way good.

The 3 employees at MooShoes ignored me when I went in - although they were busy ignoring the other 2 shoppers there as well. I was very sad
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Sarah, that's horrible about MooShoes! We were just there last week and I will admit we had to ask for help in order to get it. I don't know if it's just their way of not being pushy or if the people are not very experienced.

That guide is a great little book. I would not have found many places without it. Hope you like living in Brooklyn.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

A cool and inexpensive place to eat is House of Vegetarian in Chinatown. It has great food, although the atmosphere is a little lacking. Still, the asparagus and brown mushrooms, the hot and sour soup, and the beef and broccoli are out of this world. To my knowledge, everything is vegan, but I've not inquired about every menu item.

I wish I could remember the address. It is either on Canal Street or just off Canal Street.

Cheers,
    rant

Rantipole,
    It's not all vegan according to what I've read (haven't been there). The address is 68 Mott Street, between Canal and Bayard.

However, Vegetarian Dim Sum House at Mott and Pell Streets (24 Pell) is supposedly all vegan. Same owner, better ambiance, slightly more expensive, more dim sum options (obviously).

Diane,

I'm kinda surprised House of Vegetarian isn't all vegan. That's not cool. Do they use eggs?

Cheers,
    rant

I'm not sure. I got this information from "The Vegan Guide to New York" and they don't state which dishes are not vegan. They have a way of listing [v] for vegetarian and [ve] for vegan. House of Vegetarian got a [v] and Vegetarian Dim Sum House got a [ve]. Perhaps it's a misprint?

Thanks Diane! I do like living in B'lyn - I'm in Bay Ridge so I'm a bit out of the way, but nice view of the Verrazano! And there are lots of typos in the guide book . . .

Hey - why can't I find Govinda's cart?
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Supposedly it's near the Met Life Building at Park and 52nd Street - but I haven't been there so I can't confirm.

Quote DianeVegan
    Supposedly it's near the Met Life Building at Park and 52nd Street - but I haven't been there so I can't confirm.
    yea . . . but i can't find it! i wandered all around the dang met life building!! of course, i was having a dumb day the first time i tried to find moshe's falafel - thank heavens the omni girl i work with knew and helped me out!

any recommendations on the best vegan or vegan friendly place for omni's traumatized by a bad soy burger? I wanted to drag the fiance somewhere tonight, and can't figure out where to go . . .

Sarah, do you have the "Vegan Guide to NY?" You have sooo many choices living where you do that I think it would be difficult to decide where to go (very jealous I am!).

I've been to Counter recently and could definitely recommend the Seitan Steak since my husband and stepdaughter's omni boyfriend really liked it. I think burgers are a tough one as there are so many bad ones on the market now.

I've heard good things about Kate's Joint and Red Bamboo (especially amongst those in your age group) but have not been to either.

Well, good luck!

of course i have the guide book! and counter looks AWESOME, but i'm afraid i'd need a small loan to go there

i'll look into kate's joint and red bamboo though - thanks!

Don't forget Caravan of Dreams in the East Village - healthy eclectic delicious.

LOVE VP2 - their fake meat amazes my meat eating friends. My fave dish is the World Famous Crispy Soul Chicken, and they have creamy soy ice cream in a bunch of flavors - better than store bought kind.

Candle Cafe and Candle 79 have the absolute best vegan desserts I have ever tasted.

Burritoville for quick, cheap, filling burritos - and the free chip and salsa bar rocks.

I live in Williamsburg and we go to SEA a lot - it is Thai and they have good vegan options.

Default Vegan Hotel in New York?

I did a quick search of this board before posting this but couldn't find it mentioned. Is there a vegan hotel in New York?
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 17th, 2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

G'day,

I've been trawling through this thread tryna pick up hints and tips as I've just booked myself a week in NYC for March..I have my first two nights accomodation booked becuase I have a gig I'm going to on the first night I arrive and I wanted to be near that, but beyond that, I'm kinda umm-ing and ahh-ing over where might be a good place to base myself for the remaining (majority) of my stay. I've got a lonely planet guide, as well as looking on this forum for ideas about where to EAT and it strikes me there are HEEEEEAAAPS of vegan dining options compared to what I'm used to (i so cannot wait!I mean, really.), but I guess now I'm wondering about the best places to stay.

My criteria are :

Somewhere safe, easy to get around.
    Somewhere with a good vibe - I'm thinking alternative/bohemian near good music scenes (rock, metal, hardcore, jazz, swing, world)...basically trying to avoid the whole times sq. touristy traps, not my thing at all.

Without the hindsight of having been to NYC ever before, it's so hard to try and gauge these things from a guidebook, but based on my criteria above, I'm wondering about maybe:

East Village???
    Lower East Side????
    Brooklyn/Williamsburg???

Can anyone from NYC/or who's visited recently, tell me whether they think these are wise/or to-be-avoided-at-all-costs choices please? I know it's so hard to say because it's such a huge place and everybody has different interests/ideas of what makes somewhere a good place to be, but any opinions, suggestions, warnings, recommendations of any sort are incredibly welcome.

Thanyou everyone )
    Peace and Metta,

Lakini.

Arrow Lower East Side...

G'day all you happy veganites!

I'm coming to NYC in March this year, and currently trying to figure out where I want to stay..I'm looking at most probably the LES, but because I haven't been there before I was wondering if any New Yorkers/recent visitors would be kind enough to assist me in my research.. So far, I have only heard of 3 (THREE?!! Can this be true?) accomodations there, namely:

the Hotel on Rivington: Looks AMAZING, great views of the city etc, but tres, tres,tres expensive (or at least by my own menial terms!!)

Howard Johnson Inn: Characterless, better priced?

the Off-Soho Suites: Again, not very swank but homey enough to meet my needs, with the all-important kitchen for independent veganising....Now, this is the place I'm wondering about...It's on Rivington, but off the Bowery end, betwixt bowery & christie, opp. freemans alley....what i want to know is, is this a good/recommended/SAFE/well-located kind of positioning, or should I steer well clear? I seem to recall somewhere reading that it was a slightly gritty/unsafe neighb, but I have no knowledge myself.

If anyone has any opinions on this, or helpful hints on alternative LES accomodations that i haven't listed, please can you fill me in here or via PM?

I couldn't tell you what a help this would be to me.

Very gratefully, peace and Metta,

LAKINI.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jan 31st, 2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

GoatBoy

Default vegan in new york

'ohh hoh I'm an alien, i'm a legal alien'

gonna spend a day there on monday. gonna spend most of my time around the village. I've been told thats the most 'out there' place and the most likely place for me to enjoy the shops and the food.

can you name some good places to look out for. and perhaps an address. so i can enjoy some vegan parts of the big apple.
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 10th, 2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

Default Re: vegan in new york

All vegan listings from "Vegan Guide to New York 2007" in Greenwich Village:

"Gobo"
    402 6th ave at 8th street
    "New York Dosas"
    Washington Square Park
    "Red Bamboo"
    140 West 4th street
    "Integral Yoga Natural Foods"
    229 West 13th street

Vegetarian/vegan:

"Hummus Place"
    99 Macdougal Street
    "Sacred Chow"
    227 Sullivan Street
    "s'Nice"
    45 8th Ave

Default New York Baby Cakes Bakery

I just heard about this amazing sounding bakery. So, I thought even though i am far away from New York those that are there might not know about it.

http://www.babycakesnyc.com/index.html

I hope that it's as good as it looks!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 10th, 2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Default Re: New York Baby Cakes Bakery

That place looks so good! Whenever I hear of all the great vegan places in the city I get so jealous. (I live far away too.)
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

thank you for posting this, VanillaBean...i had no idea about it i'll make it a point to stop by there next time i'm in nyc.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I have been there and thought the cupcakes were yummy.
    I even brought my non vegan parents and they rather enjoyied their treats.
    The deserts are kind of small for the price but for a treat every now and again and especially if you are in the neighborhood I say go for it.
    Lifethyme on 6th Ave and 8th street has great vegan treats too!

Default manhattan, new york vegan restaurants

what are some good vegan places in manhattan?

i know of 'angelica kitchen' on 12th street b/w 1st/2nd avenue.

and 'bonobo's' on 23rd street b/w broadway and 4th (i think).
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 10th, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread, please use the search

Default Re: manhattan, new york vegan restaurants

I love Red Bamboo on 4th and Mc Dougal, Veg paradise on the same street, Zen Palate in Union Square, there are so many in manhattan you are spoilt for choice...

'angelica kitchen' and 'bonobo's' are vegan and use organic ingredients.

i like zen palate. those other places you put use shitty ingredients and not organic though.

anyone know of more organic vegan places?

Hi there vegantoypoodle, I am sorry - you asked for vegan and these are... I eat in both angelica kitchen and bonobos and they are fantastic - I was just trying to think of places that were different to them in style. What constitutes a 'shitty ingredient' by the way.... not organic/unhealthy??
    I could list over a dozen places that are vegan and organic in Manhattan, you are so lucky to live so close - I am in London!( but travel every 6 weeks to NY for work) but if you go to Happycow.net that does it for me and has an amazing variety of vegan places in NYC with reviews too.

Red Bamboo is very tasty. It can be fun to stuff one's self with fake meat. It's so busy too. During the winter I was eating there and and so many people were coming and going that the cold air from outside was constantly blasting me.

I second angelica kitchen is great! It's one of my fav vegan places. I think Real foods Daily in Cali is my fav.

And yes you are right nickysr we are very lucky to have so many vegan choices. Believe me I appreciate the choices.

Question for you nickysr, going to London in a few weeks, any vegan suggestions for me?

Thanks so much.