Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan New York

Default Re: Vegan New York

i was going to go to angelica kitchen for my birthday this year, but it didn't work out i've never been there but really want to go. i've heard amazing reviews of the place.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Vgirl View Post
    I second angelica kitchen is great! It's one of my fav vegan places. I think Real foods Daily in Cali is my fav.

And yes you are right nickysr we are very lucky to have so many vegan choices. Believe me I appreciate the choices.

Question for you nickysr, going to London in a few weeks, any vegan suggestions for me?

Thanks so much.
    Well, we don't have not AS much choice but...
    Manna in Erskine Road, Primrose Hill is great - top end of the budget I would say, Mildreds in Soho (mid range) and there are a lot of fake meat style chinese buffet places which are lowest end budget) I can PM you some more as I don't want to get too off topic here! But with the exchange rate as it is at the moment - be prepared to have to spend lots!!

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i'm going to be in nyc (manhattan) for three days next week. i had a look at happy cow but the sheer volume of places knocked me for six a bit!

i'm going with my boyfriend and i'd really like to go out for dinner one night to a nice restaurant. in past experience, veggie places are not always teh most romantic of restaurants, being as they are often cafe style places. i wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere that's not super expensive?

amanda

just to add to this post, because i don't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, i ended up going to the Candle Cafe in the upper east side. really really really good food. for the first time, my vegan-sceptic boyfriend was genuinely complimentary about vegan cuisine, and even wanted to go back there the night after!

only one bad comment in that the menu is entirely vegan aside from their soya cheese which has casein in. why both with it at all then????? seems like such a weird exception to make on an otherwise wonderfully vegan menu.

cake to die for, btw

amanda

Quote DianeVegan View Post
    I've heard good things about Kate's Joint and Red Bamboo (especially amongst those in your age group) but have not been to either.

Well, good luck!
    Ah,Kate's Joint.......my favourite place in New York!
    Dick Manitoba's bar just up the street as well!Many's the time i've split the day between these two establishments!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Looks like I'll be in New York for Xmas and New Year. What can I expect? Does everything shut down? Does it become quiet (with everyone going back home to their famililes) like some cities do?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

animaladvocate

I plan to venture to NYC in the near future.
    Is there any vegan or vegan-friendly accomodation there?

This weekend, my boyfriend and I are going to Blossom to celebrate our 3rd anniversary. I can't wait! The menu looks so tasty. www.blossomnyc.com

I've never heard of some of the restaurants mentioned in this thread, but it gives me great options for future visits to NYC.

I like Candle Cafe at lot, but I was disappointed the seating was so cramped. I don't remember what I ordered for dessert, but I remember that I liked it a lot. I think it was some sort of pie with vegan ice cream on the side.

I haven't been to Zen Palate in NYC. The one in Princeton NJ was disappointing. There weren't as many vegan options as I anticipated and I thought the portions were too small. The dessert I got was really fab though: an almond pie with apricot sauce.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Ooooh I love Blossom, rantipole! Have fun!

I'm usually up in MA for Christmas, but the city is still lively during the holidays. Some things may be closed on the 25th, but you should find plenty to do and eat, Marrers. It's such an ethnically diverse city. Enjoy!
    Love and muppets,
    Regan

Thanks RMS! I've been a few times and am really looking forward to it.

I went to Dublin one year and the place virtually closed down for the season - it was dead cos almost everyone living there goes home! I guess people do that more for Thankgiving over there?

I'm sure NY won't disappoint though.

How about Easter? We're there with some friends for Jo's 21st over Easter. Will it all be open? They do say it's the city that never sleeps after all, so hopefully I won't be left without vegan chow.

What places would you recommend? I know there are so many places to choose from, but what are your faves? We will hopefully be staying on W. 49th and, whilst I know that midtown is sposed to be a bit sparse for vegan types, can you recommend anywhere near there to get a bite?

thanks!

I love Candle 79 for a romantic dinner. It is near the park!
    Also love Red Bamboo. And Atlas for a stunning array of vegan cake!
    Oh and Pure Food and Wine for fab raw food with option to drink alcohol!

I'll be digging out my lists very soon and of course updating my recommendations after my visit as there are a few new places to try.

animaladvocate

I plan to venture to NYC in the near future.
    Is there any vegan or vegan-friendly accomodation there?

I rent an apartment (we use NYHabitat) on the lower east side, within easy walking distance of some of the vegan restaurants. So all food needs are met by eating out or getting things from bakeries or health shops or the Wholefoods. Because you have a fridge and freezer you can stock up and make the most of all the yummy savoury stuff and ice creams etc! And you can do a bit of cooking if you like - although I'm only comfortable using the stove top if I'm not in a veggie household.

We have secured the apartment we wanted for our trip next month. It is right around the corner from Red Bamboo so I'm delighted!

What did you think of Blossom rantipole? I've read mixed reviews, the more recent reviews being less complimentary. Is it worth trying?

Are there any shops people would recommend?

I know MooShoes has moved to 78 Orchard Street. Are there any other shoe shops worth a look?

So March will be my first time to new york, apart from the usual sight seeing and places to eat, anyone know of any good places to go and see? Any hidden gems? I'm getting a bit overwhelmed looking!

So far i wanna go to:

Stanten island ferry (see statue of liberty and that)
    Central Park
    Central Station
    5th avenue and all the shops
    Broadway and see lion king at theatre
    Rockerfella for the view
    Ice skating in central park

Any other suggestions?

a sex shop? be serious...

Marrers, on nyhabitats, how do you go about booking? what's the procedure?

thanks.

The sex shop is a good one and one branch is just round the corner from TeaNY. Maybe not to your taste but merely a suggestion.

Look on the nyhabitiat website, put in the date you plan to be there and tick the neighbourhoods where you would like to look at staying, size of place etc.
    The details include descriptions of the place, photos and a link to a map to see roughly where it is. Once you see a place or a few places you like you fill out the request form, they contact the owners to check it is still free and then you have to sign a contract and pay a deposit to secure the place.
    You are then put in touch with the owner to arrange your arrival and departure time. They will meet you at the apartment to give you the key, show you round etc and take the rent money and $1000 deposit (can be a traveller chq - you get it back when you leave).

ETA When choosing a place think about how you want to use it. I look for a separate sleeping area as I get up earlier than o/h and I don't want to creep around being quiet! We like a tub not just a shower. Also we like to lounge around and sit together - some places have very uncomfortable looking sofas or just a few chairs - study the pictures carefully. And many places don''t have tvs in the lounge but only in the bedroom, if that is important to you. Also many are walk ups and it can be quite a hike up the stairs if you are not too fit - we were on 6th floor last time and 'popping' out for a cigarette was a bit of a nightmare.

you pay a deposit to secure it and you have to give $1000 deposit? blimey, i don't think we can afford this. I know you get it back, but i dunno if we can lay out that much.

We're looking at a 3-bed one cos there are 4 of us going (me and joeybee in one room, and our friends in their own rooms). We are going for this one i think: http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-ap...vacation/12457

it'll fit us all in and, most importantly of all, we can afford it!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    you pay a deposit to secure it and you have to give $1000 deposit?
    The deposit is a 'reservation fee' which you owe to nyhabitat - it is part of what you owe overall, you have to pay that part upfront to them but it comes off the bill. The $1,000 is irritating because you have to have that much tied up in a travellers cheque which you then only get back when you are leaving so cannot spend!

Why have you picked Harlem? This website may be useful to you, it shows the restaurants on the map. http://www.supervegan.com/find.php?by=region
    This looks like where you are looking at on the map but look up the surrounding areas too. http://www.supervegan.com/results.php?rq=52

When I first went to NY I stayed in a hotel opposite St Patrick's Cathedral (Madison Ave & E50th Street) and found I spent all my time travelling down to the more vibrant parts of town (Lower East Side & Greenwich Village).

ETA You might find more places become available nearer the time - if I was you I'd email nyhabitat to ask them when is the best time to look for Easter places.

animaladvocate

Quote Marrers View Post
    I rent an apartment (we use NYHabitat) on the lower east side, within easy walking distance of some of the vegan restaurants. So all food needs are met by eating out or getting things from bakeries or health shops or the Wholefoods. Because you have a fridge and freezer you can stock up and make the most of all the yummy savoury stuff and ice creams etc! And you can do a bit of cooking if you like - although I'm only comfortable using the stove top if I'm not in a veggie household.
    My budget wouldn't cover renting an apartment.I was thinking of a NYC version of the vegan/veggie guest houses/B and B's scattered around the UK.Anyone know of any or a NYC-based vegan/veggie magazine that may list them?
    Failing that I will lay my head to rest at http://www.jazzhostels.com/about.html

Quote Marrers View Post
    The deposit is a 'reservation fee' which you owe to nyhabitat - it is part of what you owe overall, you have to pay that part upfront to them but it comes off the bill. The $1,000 is irritating because you have to have that much tied up in a travellers cheque which you then only get back when you are leaving so cannot spend!

Why have you picked Harlem? This website may be useful to you, it shows the restaurants on the map. http://www.supervegan.com/find.php?by=region
    This looks like where you are looking at on the map but look up the surrounding areas too. http://www.supervegan.com/results.php?rq=52

When I first went to NY I stayed in a hotel opposite St Patrick's Cathedral (Madison Ave & E50th Street) and found I spent all my time travelling down to the more vibrant parts of town (Lower East Side & Greenwich Village).

ETA You might find more places become available nearer the time - if I was you I'd email nyhabitat to ask them when is the best time to look for Easter places.
    the only reason we have picked the Harlem one is because of the price! it was th only one in budget. I would prefer to be in the lower east side/greenwich village/soho areas, but it's out of my budget. I've enquired at apartments2book who have listings on w.49th st, so that'd be better than the Harlem one. I think these are the apartments: www.radiocityapts.com .
    They're much better in that no deposit is required and no $1000 we can't afford to be without! It's about the same price (though the accomodation is not quite as nice) and in a better area, so if they have that available, we'll plump for that.

animaladvocate

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    the only reason we have picked the Harlem one is because of the price! it was th only one in budget. I would prefer to be in the lower east side/greenwich village/soho areas, but it's out of my budget. I've enquired at apartments2book who have listings on w.49th st, so that'd be better than the Harlem one. I think these are the apartments: www.radiocityapts.com .
    They're much better in that no deposit is required and no $1000 we can't afford to be without! It's about the same price (though the accomodation is not quite as nice) and in a better area, so if they have that available, we'll plump for that.
    http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzonthetown.html

http://www.apartments2book.com/newyork4.htm

we went for this place in the end. great location, great price (about £40 each), and we cover 90% on arrival. After a google it appears it is the best western hospitality house, which looks like a bonny place. All in all, we're geared up for a mighty holiday!

Because of difficulty getting flights we are arriving late on the day before we get the apartment so have to find a hotel for the night. I'm mightily annoyed!

animaladvocate

Marrers, do you know of any NYC-based vegan/veggie/animal rights magazines that might have listings for vegan-friendly accomodation similar to the vegan guesthouses advertised in similar UK publications?

No I don't, never noticed any magazines but I wasn't really looking either. If I see any while I'm there I'll have a look.

You could also try asking on some other veggie and vegan forums as we don't seem to get all that much advice from locals on here. I think other boards are more helpful for NY questions.

animaladvocate

Quote Marrers View Post
    No I don't, never noticed any magazines but I wasn't really looking either. If I see any while I'm there I'll have a look.

You could also try asking on some other veggie and vegan forums as we don't seem to get all that much advice from locals on here. I think other boards are more helpful for NY questions.
    Cheers.

Right, so, Marrers. I'm getting all excited and planning stuff on tripadvisor already. As we're there for 7 nights, we need plenty of food. So, what I want to know is: What are your *musts* for NYC vegan eats? I know I want to go to the Dosa Man in Washington Sq, and that I want to go to TeaNY and Babycakes.
    What would you suggest I don't miss?

I'l be able to say more when I get back from this trip as there are new places to try and things may have changed at my fave haunts. But I know you are all excited and wanting to plot, plan and salivate so I'll tell you what I think, but also do some research online and see what others are saying, which food is especially good and which dishes to avoid in each restaurant etc.

Cafe Atlas for cakes is an absolute must. You've never seen anything like it! Last time I brought back about 8 slices of cake to share with my friend here!

I really love Red Bamboo and Gobo. Candle 79 is lovely and very chic and romantic, I'm definitely going back there too. Pure Food and Wine was classy, a great raw food place with option of drinking (a lot of raw places don't serve alcohol). They also have a take away area round the corner.

I also liked Counter and Curlys. I think it is good to travel out to other areas too to experience the different character and atmosphere - and the vegan food they have to offer (but check out the reviews if it is the main purpose of your trip to that area). I'd quite like to try Foodswings this time.
    Staff in Moo Shoes can sometimes advise on what is new and what is good (they told us about Pure Food & Wine which had only just opened so wasn't in any guides).

I was not too impressed with Angelica's normal menu but often the special was good. I really didn't care much for Candle Cafe either - can't remember the food but I didn't like the feel of the place. TeaNY is good for nice hot drinks and cakes more than savouries I'd say. I suppose you have to see for yourself as these are flagship places that everyone raves about.

I thought Babycakes was horrid, the cupcakes and the frosting (but I really enjoyed visiting the Tenement Museum near there if you are interested in history and how folk used to live). And I wouldn't bother going back to Whole Earth Bakery (though I think it may have closed down now anyway).

If you are interested in raw / live food Highvibe has some wonderful snacks (live almonds coated in different flavours and Mac'n'cheeze biscuits). I reckon I could be raw if we had access to stuff like that! A bit pricey though.

And don't forget to stock up on dark chocolate Goldenbergs Peanut Chews (vegan snickers-like bars). Veganstore haven't had them in ages and may not get them again. And Wholefoods is well worth a look for vegan bakery items (they now stock Sweet and Sara stuff like Smores) and look there and at all health food shops for the fab ranges of ice cream, there are quite a few different brands!

Talking of health food shops check out Lifethymes and Intergral Yoga if you get the chance. As well as all the stuff you'd expect they also have hot and cold savoury food as well as cake counters.
    You might want to minimise the toiletries you bring because you can get stuff you don't see here like Kiss My Face, or stuff which costs a lot more here like Jasons.

Not sure what the exchange rate is going to do but it might be worth starting to buy dollars or travellers cheques now too.

That's about all I can think of for now! Hope it helps.

blimey that's a lot, Marrers!

Yeah I'm looking forward to buying stuff that we can't get over here - I just hope I can manage to a) eat all the perishable stuff and b) have enough room in the cases for the rest!

Don't say you don't like Babycakes! We're really looking forward to going to that place after hearing so much about it. We'll be going anyway and sampling probably everything there!

Yeah I'd like to go to Red Bamboo, but Gobo and Pure seem a bit too expensive for our budget. Candle looks a bit pricey, but we'll go there for Jo's birthday dinner as a nice treat. MooShoes looks good as well. I hope I have enough money!

I've been making an "NYC shopping list" for things we can't get over here. So far it includes the "Soy Delicious" ice creams, Vegenaise; tofurky; temptation soy ice cream; susanne's ricemellow cremes and other stuff (including all those things you just told me!). I'm so looking forward to it.

About the exchange rate - apparently china will be selling off their US$ stocks, so the rate is likely to go down as they own up to 30% of the available $ reserves. Probably best to hold out until before we go, or until the dollar takes a nosedive at the earliest. It's unlikely to get much better for the dollar until Bush is out, to be honest.

This trip is gonna be soooo good.

We'll be in NYC to play a couple of shows in the next few days - where are some great places to find really filling Asian food at a decent price?

We went to Zen Palate a couple of years ago and while the food was great, I didn't feel like it justified the bill.

My boyfriend and my anniversary at Blossom was fantastic! The meal was really great and the atmosphere is very nice. The bathrooms are really cute. I'll rate the things we ordered on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being best:

Spinach and Pine Nut Ravioli appetizer: 5. This was just to die for.
    Stuffed Portabello Mushroom entree: 5. I could've eaten a whole plate of the walnut and tofu stuffing by itself.
    Seitan Scallopini entree: 3. This was yummy and well-prepared, but it didn't rise above the level of good.
    Apple Cinnamon Sticks: 4. If you love apples, this is the dessert for you.
    Chocolate Ganache: 5. Most intense chocolate experience I've ever had. Probably best shared by two people.

So, I highly recommend Blossom for a nice, romantic dinner.

Cheers,
    rant

must start saving my pennies now if i'm going to be able to afford our birthday dinner at blossom!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I know I want to go to the Dosa Man in Washington Sq
    That's so cool that you know about him over there. He won the Vendy award out of all New York City.

He takes his time making them--which is a good thing.

My main complaints about Indian food are that it can be too oily, have a mushy texture, and hit you over the head with spices to cover up bland ingredients. His Dosas are the exact opposite: Light and fluffy crepe; flavorful filling; and just the right amount of spicy for my taste when I ask for "medium".

Is he there every day? I bet my guide book info is well out of date! My apt is near Washington Square.

Check out Red Bamboo in Manhatten. Absolutely amazing!

The buffalo wings were brilliant and the chicken parmesan hero was better then any 'real' one I'd ever had in my entire life. And let me tell you my friends, you haven't lived until you've tried their chocolate cheesecake and butter pecan shake...

good grief

Quote Marrers View Post
    Is he there every day? I bet my guide book info is well out of date! My apt is near Washington Square.
    I don't know what his schedule is . . . and that's a nice place to have an apartment.

Quote KrissStress View Post
    Check out Red Bamboo in Manhatten. Absolutely amazing!

The buffalo wings were brilliant and the chicken parmesan hero was better then any 'real' one I'd ever had in my entire life. And let me tell you my friends, you haven't lived until you've tried their chocolate cheesecake and butter pecan shake...

good grief
    That's funny 'cause I always find myself there getting just that; the buffalo "wings" (really drumsticks) and the chicken parmesan hero. And the hero tastes even better (to me) reheated the next day.

Last time I got those "to go" and sat in the park eating my "wings" and enjoying a beautiful evening. A man walked up to me and asked me for food. I said, "sure, but I have to tell you that it's not really meat." He got all disappointed and I said, "you don't have to take it; and you never know, you might like it." He said, "that's what I'm afraid of," and started eating. He admitted it wasn't bad.

animaladvocate

OMG!
    I have just read the menu at the following linky and would gladly sell my soul to be able to dine there!
    http://www.redbamboo-nyc.com/menu.html

Quote Marrers View Post
    We have secured the apartment we wanted for our trip next month. It is right around the corner from Red Bamboo so I'm delighted!

Quote John View Post
    I don't know what his schedule is . . . and that's a nice place to have an apartment.

That's funny 'cause I always find myself there getting just that; the buffalo "wings" (really drumsticks) and the chicken parmesan hero. And the hero tastes even better (to me) reheated the next day.

Last time I got those "to go" and sat in the park eating my "wings" and enjoying a beautiful evening. A man walked up to me and asked me for food. I said, "sure, but I have to tell you that it's not really meat." He got all disappointed and I said, "you don't have to take it; and you never know, you might like it." He said, "that's what I'm afraid of," and started eating. He admitted it wasn't bad.
    I could barely finish the chicken parmesan. It was nearly a foot long. Do you have any other favourites there? I ended up getting the hero because the waitress was right there and I was out of time to order - there's just way too much to choose from.

^
    I think I remember enjoying the "codfish" cakes with mango salsa. I can't seem to find vegan fake fish outside of restaurants.

We have vegan fishless fingers, fishless steaks and scampi pieces in the UK (all made by the same company) but not quite like Red Bamboo.

I'm staying a night at The Chelsea before we go to our apartment!

Quote Marrers View Post
    We have vegan fishless fingers, fishless steaks and scampi pieces in the UK (all made by the same company) but not quite like Red Bamboo.

I'm staying a night at The Chelsea before we go to our apartment!
    As in THE Chelsea Hotel? Hang-out of Allen Ginsberg, Leonard Cohen, Arthur C. Clarke, and others?

I stayed there one night and, aside from the atmosphere and history, was not impressed. It was musty and my allergies went nuts. The radiator clanged all night and we couldn't get the temperature adjusted--we froze or boiled with no happy medium. The bed and pillows were really uncomfortable. Last, it's on a busy street and the street noise was really loud. I was really disappointed by the experience. I hate to bust your bubble, Marrers.

Cheers,
    rant

Don't worry rant - I know! I have read some truly horrendous reviews on Tripadvisor so know it could be awful but I reckon for just one night (to flop down after a flight) we can cope.
    I've always wanted to stay there and now the management ethos has changed I think it is the last chance to see something of how it used to be - if it hasn't already changed too much.

Well as long as you are prepared, you should be fine. I wasnt' aware of the management change. What's the scoop?

Cheers,
    rant