Thread: May eat vegan for health issues

Paula Taggart

Default May eat vegan for health issues

Hello everyone, I just joined today and am hoping for advice. First, my number one motive for going vegan is to sort out my health issues. I've heard that people experience a surge in mood and energy, which is exactly what I need. Second, although my inital motive is a selfish one, I'm also quite environment and animal rights concious so veganism would be a major plus too.

This is going to be a long post, so apologies! I'll give you some backround - for about six years, I've had a poor appetite and periods of depression. Until I got pregnant last year, I could survive each day on very little food. During my pregnancy, I found that if I didn't eat regularly (no surprises!) I'd feel ill. So, I did my best to do so, despite lack of appetite and heartburn. It's been almost 11 months since the birth, and I've had trouble with my stomach ever since. My appetite is still very low, and I have post natal depression. (I was taking Prozac, but that isn't the cause as the problem existed before the medication. I've sinced stopped.) Any prolonged attempts at housework leads to this discomfort in my tummy, it just feels as if I have no energy, I need to curl up, etc. It's not a *pain* so to speak, just discomfort. This of course worsens depression because I find it so hard to get things done, and don't mention trying to deal with a VERY active 11 month old!! This discomfort happens also when I eat, which again worsens the overall problem with energy because I never look forward to eating (which I love doing!) So I avoid eating, subconciously. Also, if I look at my (relaxed) tummy while standing up, to the left of my belly button is a golf-ball size protusion (is the only way I can put it) which I'm sure wasn't there before. I'd definitely have noticed it. To the right side of my belly button is a pain when I press lightly. I've been to the doctor countless times and all he wanted to do was prescribe me "stomach tablets" or tell me take paracetamol or codeine. I'm not interested in masking the problem, I want to find out what is causing it.

So, here is my plan:
    I am seeing a doctor at a different practice later to find out her ideas.
    I have a consulation at a Chinese medicine clinic on Friday
    And finally, where the veganforum comes in: like I said, if changing to a more simple and healthy diet is going to imporve my mood and energy problems, that would be just brilliant. And i might solve my stomach problems too. I would do my best to eliminate coffee, sugar, bread, cigarettes, alcohol (although that usually has an anaesthetic effect and I do so love it) Basically, I want a fruit, veg and nuts diet as I think a simpler, cleaner diet is best.

So, has anyone had similar problems they solved with veganism? Also, what would a day-to-day diet be. roughly? I've tried looking at vegan cookbooks but most things look quite fancy and expensive to make. I have little time as I've mentioned, so I'd love advice from mums with babies that manage to fit eating in!

Thank you so much for reading this far and for any advice you have
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 14th, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Changed part of title (from 'go vegan' to 'eat vegan')

Default Re: May eat vegan for health issues - advice please!

First of all, welcome!

I'm not sure how many of your questions I can answer as I don't avoid any of the things you're planning to apart from cigarettes and alcohol (and the alcohol is only temporary), but I wanted to wish you good luck on your journey to better health, I'm glad you said you're switching doctors as someone who ignores a lump in your stomach doesn't sound very helpful!

There are a lot of vegan cookbooks around and some place more emphasis on a simple diet than others. Have you been into the cookbooks section of this forum yet? You might find something that fits the bill. I always recommend people go and get everything their local library has as well, then you can have a good flick through at no expense, but that may not be a great suggestion if you're short on time?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Paula,

welcome to the forum!

A very good - and very simple - book on the subject of nutrition (and health) is Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to live". I would wholeheartedly endorse it to everybody.

The basic idea is to eat "nutrient-dense" food, i.e. to eat lots of food that has lots of nutrients and only very little calories. A good illustration of that is the following article: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx
    That is actually it, it is very, very simple. Eat lots of the foods on the left side of his "nutrient density scale" (and you do need to eat LOTS of them, as they have few calories, to get the fuel for your body) and avoid those on the right side (coincidentally, all animal products are on the right side).

Best regards,
    Andy

Hi Paula- I hope you get your health issues sorted out soon.

One of my tricks for figuring out what to eat when I am feeling lazy is to look at the following thread:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...-eat-today-(13) . There are alot of simple suggestions and you can see what a variety of people are eating throughout the day. Just a quick tip.

Take care and be well,
    Nikki

I have colitis, a painful inflammation of the colon, which results in a lot of abdominal pain, stomach upset, heartburn, etc. My symptoms are marked improved since I went vegan. Now, I just need to give up caffeine...It also improved my mood swings and I was able to stop taking sleep tablets.

I also have a deep sense of peace knowing that nothing I consume has hurt any living being. My day-to-day menu:

B: Either oatmeal or a peanut butter sandwich
    L: Big salad with bowl of soup
    D: Stew made with beans, veggies, and a salad

Snacks are generally fruit or the occasional soy yogurt.

Hope this helps!
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin