Thread: 'McLibel' pair win legal aid case

Default 'McLibel' pair win legal aid case

from www.bbc.co.uk, 15th Feb 2005

'McLibel' pair win legal aid case

Two environmental campaigners should have been awarded legal aid in their long-running fight against a McDonald's libel action, a court has found. The European Court of Human Rights said the lack of such aid effectively denied the pair the right to a fair trial.

Helen Steel and David Morris, from north London, were dubbed the "McLibel Two" in a 1990s trial, which found them guilty of libelling the company. The pair had been handing out leaflets called "What's Wrong with McDonald's".
    The Strasbourg court's verdict is the end of a subsequent courtroom fight in which the activists accused the UK Government of breaching their human rights. It ruled they did not receive a fair trial as guaranteed under the Human Rights Convention, to which the UK is a signatory, and that their freedom of expression was violated by the 1997 judgment. The pair had argued the UK's libel laws, which did not allow them legal aid, denied them freedom of speech.

The legal wrangle - the longest civil or criminal action in English legal history - was triggered when McDonald's decided to act against former gardener Helen Steel, 39, and former postman David Morris, 50.

Libellous leaflets

The leaflets they handed out, containing damaging allegations about McDonald's, were compiled by London Greenpeace - which is not linked to the Greenpeace International environmental group.
    Neither Ms Steel nor Mr Morris had any hand in writing the leaflets, but became embroiled in a libel action launched in 1990 and which ended only in 1997 - with a total of 314 days spent in court.

Longest case in UK history

High Court judge Mr Justice Bell ruled McDonald's had been libelled and awarded the company £60,000 in damages, which was later reduced to £40,000 on appeal.
    But he found the leaflet was true when it accused McDonald's of paying low wages to its workers, being responsible for cruelty to some of the animals used in its food products and exploiting children in advertising campaigns.

The case is thought to have cost the fast food giant £10m and was described as "the biggest corporate PR disaster in history".

'Huge power'

In the Human Rights court case, Ms Steel and Mr Morris, both from Tottenham, north London, argued that the government breached their human rights by failing to make legal aid available and because the libel laws obliged them to justify every word of anti-McDonald's allegations contained in the leaflets they distributed.

Their legal team said multinational companies should not be allowed to sue for libel because they wield huge power over people's lives and the environment and therefore should be open to scrutiny and criticism.
    But government lawyers argued that campaigners for social justice are subject to the same laws of libel as anyone else, even when wealthy multinational corporations are their targets.
    Reacting to Tuesday's decision, a spokesman for the Department of Constitutional Affairs said: "We are studying the judgement very carefully."

Law change?

Celebrating the decision outside a London McDonald's, Mr Morris said they had won "both points hands down".
    "We believe in people power and we believe people should make the decisions themselves in their own communities," he said.
    "It encourages to people to speak up in their own interests."
    Ms Steel described the 15-year case as a "complete nightmare" but said it had been good to fight it.
    "Hopefully the government will be forced to change the law and that will mean greater freedom of speech," she said.
    David Morris earlier said the pair had already won in principle: "There's growing public concern and debate about the activities of the fast food industry and multinational corporations in general," he said.
    "We feel completely vindicated by our stance.
    "We can see the effects of not just what McDonald's are doing but what all multinationals are doing to our planet."

good result - heard this on radio 5 live.

PinkFluffyCloud

About time, too! Hooray!

1vegan

Great news

So will this mean they don't have to pay the 40,000 to McD ?

Well done to the both of them

Quote 1vegan
    So will this mean they don't have to pay the 40,000 to
    McD ?
    They have no intentions of paying that anyway and it would be even more bad publicity for McD's if they tried to get the money from them. McD's must be rueing the day they took Helen Steel and Dave Morris to court for libel; it cost them millions of dollars in legal fees and the bad publicity was priceless.

Nice One!!!!!!
    please grant me the senility to forget about people I never liked anyway

Yes I've been reading this outcome in the UK Independent - great result.
    Eve

More bad news for fat ronalds . After Super Size Me showed the consequences of living off its burgers, another documentary will show how the company can be in court. McLibel, which follows Helen Steel and Dave Morris, the two environmental activists through the libel action involving McDonald’s that became the longest in British history. Its hoped for release on 15th April — the 50th anniversary of the fast-food chain’s foundation.

Default Re: 'McLibel' pair win legal aid case

McLibel is on tv tonight, 9pm, BBC4

Thanks for the reminder cedarblue.

I really liked it, and prefered it to supersizeme. Eric Schlosser, Colin Campbell, and Howard Lyman amongst others all popped up. You have to admire the Mclibel two don't you. I hope the dvd and film are a hit.

The Dvd is available now.

The documentary opens in US in May.

And theres a Mc50th:celebration or last rites? evening of entertainment in London tomorrow night.

More info on www.mcspotlight.org .

100% agree gert, great programme.

A couple of scenes were very upsetting, maybe if this gets seen by the people who eat bad mucks, they may just think about the animal and what happened to get that burger.
    Come to the darkside, we have cookies!

Thanks gertvegan, I love the mcspotlight website - just don't get round to it often enough.
    Eve

Good old BBC4 It was an excellent documentary. Helen Steel and Dave Morris are an inspiration to us all. I might try and get up to London for tomorrow's event.

am i the only person who can't get BBC4?? guess i'll have to try and get hold of the DVD then. £20 though?!! i know they're only a small company...
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

20 quid! Bloody capitalists It's worth every penny though.

yeah well i know it's for a good cause but i think i'll see if i can borrow or rent it first
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The McLibel dvd is being screened at the Pogo Cafe on Monday 2 May.

Default Super Sized Support for ‘McLibel’

Global Exchange, CorpWatch and National Lawyers Guild on Board to Promote High-Profile ‘McLibel’ Case Doc. Film Opens in June

MAY 11, 2005, www.commondreams.org

LOS ANGELES -- May 11 -- Global Exchange, CorpWatch, National Lawyers Guild, CodePink, Voices for a Viable Future, SF Vegetarian Society and Bay Area Vegetarians have joined forces with Cinema Libre Studio to support the June theatrical release of the controversial documentary ‘McLibel.’

Directed by Franny Armstrong, “McLibel” follows the 15-year story of London Greenpeace activists Helen Steel and Dave Morris as they are transformed from anonymous campaign volunteers into unlikely global heroes. McDonald’s sued the single father and part-time bar worker for libel in 1990, after “McSpies” infiltrated their non-profit group.

Morris and Steel refused to apologize for distributing a leaflet that asked consumers to ponder the question: “What’s Wrong with McDonald’s?” The leaflet listed 15 reasons why the corporation did not have the public’s best interests in mind. The ‘McLibel 2’ defended themselves through what became the longest running legal battle in English history. The case has been described as “the biggest corporate PR disaster” ever.

“For organizations like ours,” says Andrea Buffa, Communications Director of Global Exchange, “that are dedicated to exposing the toll that corporate globalization takes on human rights and environment, it is important we be able to get real information to the public about what corporations are doing. Global Exchange can’t afford billboards and television commercials like the corporations can, so we need to be able to spread our information in other ways – like leafleting outside McDonald’s the way David and Helen did.”

The seven organizations will provide support for the film by spreading the word on a grassroots level and educating their members on the issues raised in the film in relation to their own organizational causes. Some of the orgs will reach out to the media, leafleting outside of McDonald’s in select cities and by creating specific actions to promote the film.

Eric Schlosser, author of “Fast Food Nation,” became a supporter of “McLibel” early by participating in the film as one of the interviewees. In addition, agit-prop artist Ron English generously donated his artwork titled “McAmerica” (owned by Robert C. Carvalho) to use as the “McLibel” poster image in the US.

In the “McLibel” case (1996-2005), London’s Royal Courts of Justice found McDonald’s marketing to have claimed “a positive nutritional benefit which their food did not match”, that McDonald’s “exploits children” with their advertising strategy, found the company to be “culpably responsible for animal cruelty”, and that it was fair comment to say that McDonald’s employees worldwide “do badly in terms of pay and conditions.” And finally, “If one eats enough McDonald’s food, one’s diet may well become high in fat, with the very real risk of heart disease.”

In February 2005, the European Court of Human Rights declared that the notorious “McLibel” case breached Steel’s and Morris’ rights to a fair trial, to freedom of expression, and had failed to protect the public’s right to criticize massive corporations whose business practices can affect people’s lives, health and the environment. The court’s rulings will likely change the course of British freedom of speech laws forever.

Media interest in the story remains as fevered today as it has been for the past decade and a half.

“This story is an inspiration to activists everywhere,” says Pratap Chatterjee, managing editor/project director of CorpWatch. “Two individuals with no money can defeat multinational Goliaths!”

“McLibel” will open on Friday, June 10th in San Francisco and Seattle and will continue to Minneapolis on June 17th. Exact theaters to be announced shortly and additional cities to be added soon.

Grassroots organizations interested in becoming involved in the McLibel campaign should contact Rich Castro at rcastro@cinemalibrestudio.com.

ATTENTION EDITORS AND PRODUCERS: Screeners of “McLibel” and interviews with Franny Armstrong, Dave Morris or Helen Steel are available upon request. To learn more about the feature film “McLibel,” or to download photos, please visit www.McLibelthemovie.com.

Default Re: Super Sized Support for ‘McLibel’

In this month's New Internationalist, there's an item about the McLibel film, that it is now on dvd, updated with the recent victory at the European Court of Human Rights. The dvd is available from Spanner Films. Their website looks great, just go to Latest News to read about the dvd. http://www.spannerfilms.net/

The first review of the McLibel DVD was: "Puts many big studio releases to shame."
    Eve

Just ordered a dvd.

Everyone keeps telling me to buy a dvd player as they're so cheap, but unfortunately my tv won't accept dvds, and I can't afford a new tv, so ...
    Eve

I watched the doc on this on tv at the weekend it was great and very interesting I am so pleased for them.....watching bullies get their dues is always good.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

there's a programme on BBC2 tonight at 10:30pm about McLibel, not sure if it's the one they showed on BBC4 last month, but i'll be watching it (or possibly taping it) anyway

ETA: found out it is the same programme.

You know what annoys me like mad?

This afternoon, I have read about the trial in an old magazine of the time and had made a mental note that I must research the topic on the internet. Although I have been online I only did this 5 mins ago and, of course, missed the BBC 2 docu!

Why? WHY???? If anybody has taped it, can I buy or borrow a copy from you? Please!

Damn, I am so annoyed!

littleTigercub

sorry littleTigercub, i decided to watch it last night and didn't tape it. i shouldn't have stayed up so late as i am now really tired!! i hadn't seen any trailers for it on TV and it was only because i checked the TV guide by chance that i even knew it was on...maybe that's because i don't really watch TV much though.

it was definitely worth watching and my boyfriend watched it with me. he said it was more because he was interested in the legal side of it (he has a degree in law). when he saw the scene about the animals being killed though he said he understands why i get so upset about it now - he gave up meat about six months ago and said seeing things like that never used to bother him, but now it upsets him a lot more. i think he's starting to realise what's involved in meat production.

ETA: i think Dave & Helen are briiiiiiiiiilliiaaaaaaant!!
    i could never do anything like that they're so brave for going through all of it. they seem so strong-willed and it's encouraging to see people stand up for what they believe in.

Was this the same than the DVD or another programme?

I am thinking of buying the DVD (although the price of £ 20.00 puts me off), but I would pay for all expenses if somebody would be able to borrow me the video.

littleTigercub

Kevster

Default Re: McLibel

I managed to watch the Mclibel documentary last night, i really enjoyed watching it, i highly recommend it. A couple of amazingly dedicated and persistent people up against a corporate giant.

Default Re: McLibel

Missed it, damn.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

From www.spannerfilms.net .

UK Cinema release, 17 February 2006. McLibel is on for one week at the Odeon Wardour St, in London from Friday 17 Feb. Then our solitary 35mm print will be off for a trip round the country.
    Obviously too late for Wardour St. Check out your local cinema listings.

Geoff

Buy the DVD, share it around and / or donate it to a library.