Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need a reply to this stupid statement.

Default Re: Need a reply to this stupid statement.

Almost completely off topic now, but I was interested by the comment about the "pilgrims" because I was certainly taught at my (European) school that they left Britain because they didn't have freedom of religion. I looked it up (Wikipedia, where else? but it has footnotes) and discussed it with an American friend who is knowledgeable about history. It seems true that they were harassed here (fined and even imprisoned for not towing the line). Whether that amounts to persecution is a matter of opinion.

Interestingly the first "pilgrims" went initially to the Netherlands which did have freedom of religion, so perhaps that's what Chris F is thinking of. It was only when that didn't work out that they crossed the Atlantic.

Once in the New World, some Puritans were responsible for persecution of others, e.g. the Salem witch trials, and also for some abuse of Native Americans, but I'm not there's any evidence that that was their reason for going there.

They probably did want to see an all-Puritan world, but it's a bit of a leap to go from that to saying that people who would like to see a vegan world plan to "persecute" non-vegans, if that's your thinking, ChrisF.

leedsveg

Quote harpy View Post
    Interestingly the first "pilgrims" went initially to the Netherlands which did have freedom of religion, so perhaps that's what Chris F is thinking of.
    Maybe. Certainly the Jews in 17c. England didn't have freedom of religion.

Lv

It was on QI a short while back, they said that puritans left England because they felt that there was too much religious freedom in Britain and wanted to start their own country where they could impose there own religious laws.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hmm, doesn't seem much like religious freedom if they kept getting fined and arrested. Perhaps the QI egg- (or tofu-) heads confused "religious freedom" with "freedom" - I gather the Puritans thought European society was too licentious. There is a bit about them wanting to leave the Netherlands because they were worried about their children being "drawn away by evil examples into extravagance and dangerous courses" - bet they'd like it there now (Reminds me of some rather high-minded American friends who visited Amsterdam and booked for a piano recital that turned out...perhaps I'd better not post that on here on second thoughts.)

Starting at 3:30

Not saying it's right, just that it was on.

There's a discussion thread on the show here - http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22774&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=75
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

He mainly seems to be making the point that they didn't want other people to have freedom to practise their religions (citing their persecution of Quakers in the New World). That seems to have been true at least of some of them. However, Quakers were also imprisoned in the 17th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ety_of_Friends - page down to the heading "persecution in England") which again doesn't seem a great testament to our religious freedom at the time.

Oh, the trouble 'religion' has caused through the centuries!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

friendly fri

Quote Farflame View Post
    Well yeah, I have a reasonable knowledge of food, but I'm not one of those who can whip up nutritional facts (I should learn). This statement was so odd though that it perplexed me and although it seems stupid, I thought I'd better double-check before replying. Thanks for the post, I've read stuff before on nutrition, I'll find something clear to reply with
    Don`t ever get into arguments with joe public, do not waste your time.
    :D :)