Thread: storing hummus

Default storing hummus

I've recently discovered the delight of hummus. I've searched the web but can't find any answers on how to store, and how long to keep hummus. I made some last night which I am keeping in a glass jar in the fridge. How long will it last before it goes bad? Thanks!

I make a batch every weekend, store it in an airtight plastic container. It usually lasts 4-5 days and I put loads of fresh veggies in mine like shredded carrots and turnips, chopped tomato + parsely or cilantro.

Topping it with a little bit of olive oil also helps it stay fresh and prevent it from drying out.

Oh yeah, that's a great tip tigerlily. I know retaurants do that and it works well.

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to have some tonight, and then I will top it with olive oil. I'm surprised at how delicious, versatile, and cheap it is to make! It's going to be a staple food for me

EDIT:
    Oh yeah. What do you guys serve your hummus with? So far I have read it's good with pita bread, on a sandwhich, in salad, or a dip for tortilla chips. Any other suggestions?

I like taking lettuce leaves, usually romaine and making lettuce wraps with the hummus. Just spread the hummus on a leaf and roll it. Or dip fresh veggies in the hummus or use the hummus to stuff bell peppers, celery stalks. PFC has a recipe for hummus kisses that sounds great, it's on the "what did you eat today" thread. You can do a search.

i like raw carrots dipped in hummus, i also like hummus sandwiches with sprouted beans or salad, and it's good with falafels and even veggie burgers.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

PinkFluffyCloud

I eat Homous with and on just about everything!!
    Splattered on Salad, as a topping for Roast Veg and Potatoes, in Mashed Potatoes, on Toast, Pittas, Pizzas, and for dipping Carrots in.
    The kisses are easy - just make or buy ready-roll Puff Pastry, thickly spread Homous over it, then cut into small shapes and twist into 'kisses' - and bake til crusty!

Thanks for all the advice guys!! The lettuce leaves sounds sounds really good. I will do some experimenting with my hummus tonight

Now this thread has me craving hummus in a big way.

Jade has been asking for hummus for several weeks. I have not made it since early November. We both love avocado spread. I think I will make hummus later this week. I did make a black bean dish similar to hummus she loved that.

I made black bean hummus once, didn't like it as much as I do with chickpeas.

PinkFluffyCloud

It is the one thing I have never been without since going Vegan. I like shop-bought or homemade Homous, it sings to me from the fridge!

I love the homemade hummus the best with lot of hot sauce in it (yummy!).

I tried storebought once and it tasted like chemicals to me.

Quote Kiva Dancer
    I love the homemade hummus the best with lot of hot sauce in it (yummy!).

I tried storebought once and it tasted like chemicals to me.
    I agree, the storebought stuff usually has sodium chloride as a preservative, yuck. I'd rather make my own, takes 10 minutes and is much cheaper and tastier.

Well, I tried my hummus tonight and it was great!!! What an amazing recipe! I just can't get over the fact that something like this is real lol. Love it! I spread some on two slices of bread, and loaded it up with some alfalfa sprouts. Then I spooned some out into a bowl and ate some carrots with it. This is definatly something I can get used to!

One more question for you guys though. I went to the store tonight to get more garbanzo beans, and I wanted to try it with chickpeas too, but in the bulk section they had "Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)". Are they the same thing?

My mom just called and asked what I had for dinner. I told her and she asked me to make some for her!

garbanzo is apparently the Spanish name for chickpea, so they should be the same thing.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

From experience, when it tastes a bit fizzy, it's no good... ...
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I like hummous a lot but I like babaganoush better. And also this thing called foul. It's the same idea has hummous except with fava beans and you mash it when I spoon/fork not in a food processor/blender because you want the beans to be somewhat whole.

Kim[ba], I've also seen chickpeas called ceci, too. Some canning companies would like people to believe that it's a different variety of chickpea, but in reality it's not.

Ceci means "chickpea" in Italian
    Garbonzo means "chickpea" in Spanish
    Hummus means "chickpea" in Arabic

but it's all essentially the same thing.

Babaganoush is made from eggplant and foul sounds absolutely lovely. I want to pick up some fava beans and make a batch. *yum*

tails4wagging

Hummus, carrot and spinach (raw) is lovely in a sandwich.
    I find it only lasts a day ot two after its sell by date.

Foul is lovely, Kiva. Add some finely chopped tomatoes and green onions to it, and it's even more delicious.