Thread: Want to go vegan, except for hair dye

shadowdream

Default Want to go vegan, except for hair dye

This'll probably sound stupid, but here goes. I'd like to go vegan, but I dye my hair blonde and I don't think any vegan hair dyes exist that are of similar quality to what I currently use (I could be wrong, feel free to let me know if so). I've been dying my hair since I was 13 (I'm 23 now), and I've never been tempted to change colour. How can I be vegan yet routinely go against my own beliefs? How can I justify that to myself?

On the other hand (rationalisation), if I'm giving up every other animal-derived product, is it really so bad that I use one? I mean, really...

Default Re: Want to go vegan, except for one thing...

Hello - I definitely wouldn't let that one thing stop you going vegan in every other respect, you'll be doing a huge amount of good.

I don't know much about blonde hair dyes, particularly not Australian ones, so I will leave others to answer that part of the question. But I wouldn't let that stop you from going vegan in other aspects of your life. You'll probably find a solution later.

If you search you may find some earlier threads like this one http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...hair-dye-exist although it has a UK orientation unfortunately.

I dont know of any vegan hair dyes as I haven't ever looked into it, but I'm sure you could find one, it might mean finding a vegan friendly hairdresser or doing some research into the different dyes available, even internationally if there's nothing in Oz.

I also think that hair colour is a small issue when it comes to the amount of good you will be doing by becoming vegan, not to mention the amazing health benefits.

Good luck with your search, I really hope you find an alternative.

Hello Shadowdream, I have no advice about hair dyes in Australia but I would suggest you contact individual companies and ask them if they test on animals and if their product contains any animal ingredients. That's what I do, and have found one or two blonde hair dyes this way.
    I used to use the Superdrug blonde dye (not the conditioner) but then they started putting lanolin into it.
    The one I use at the minute states on the box that they don't test on animals and I've emailed them about the ingredients and have been told they don't contain animal ingredients. I'm sure if you do the same you will find a dye that you like.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I am intrigued by this thread. Having discovered a few grays lately, I am anxious to see what suggestions come along. I am a brunette, but hopefully someone will have a suggestion for a good brand that we can all use.

I don't think it's such a problem to find dark dyes, amethyst - there are various herbal ones that are vegan here, not sure about where you are. Then there's henna, of course!

If I use anything to cover (or tone down) my grey hairs I use Daniel Field ones - only potential problem with them is that they wash out quite fast but I don't mind that as it means it's not too serious if I use the wrong colour or something

I agree Harpy.......it is easier to find darker dyes. The health food shops usually stock vegan hair dyes and Daniel Field is a good option too.

I started going grey at 23 so I don't even remember what my 'natural' colour is anymore.........it is just so much easier for me to be blonde as the grey hairs blend in better.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Thanks harpy and Cat...I know I need to start addressing this issue. I am much too young (in my head) to look old (ON my head). LOL

I don't think there's any "need" about it amethyst - grey hairs are fine I think and they don't necessarily make a young person look old either. So it's really up to you whether you want to dye it.

I am a bit long in the tooth and work in a rather ageist field, so I sometimes feel it's prudent not to advertise the age gap between myself and my customers - although having said that none of them has shown signs of caring, to date

Quote shadowdream View Post
    I'd like to go vegan, but I dye my hair blonde and I don't think any vegan hair dyes exist that are of similar quality to what I currently use
    The answer is really simple: Skip all other animal products than your hair dye for now. No need to postpone that decision, is it?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I live in Turkey where we have a lot of hairdye, but they are all from the evil huge companies we all know all of. At first I thought it would be impossible for me to find a decent one as well, until I found out that most organic hairdyes are not tested on animals. (at least it says so on the box & the company websites) The first organic dye I tried was not very good, but it was also the cheapest. I tried another and another, until I found the perfect one. So I am sure you will have options out there too and it is a matter of testing and trying out. Believe me, it feels so much better now that I know my hairdye is cruelty free.

To me the question is not whether I have a vegan lifestyle or not, but more about knowing the products I am using/wearing/eating are cruelty free.

diy-girlie

When i was blonde i used the manic panic bleach kit. Its a US based company i think..
    I say go vegan! And dont fret cos all will fall into place