Thread: Do you find it hilarious when.....

Default Do you find it hilarious when.....

omnivores think humans are meant to eat meat and yet they are having so much trouble trying to eat their steak? XD
    Last edited by TheHRchannel; May 16th, 2012 at 08:16 PM.

Default Re: Do you find it hilarious when.....

Do you mean 'meant to eat meat'?

Can't say the situation has ever arrived.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

What, can't chew it you mean? It's a while since I've seen someone eating steak but I'm not surprised to hear it - so much for those carnivorous teeth eh?

On a slightly different note, it's common to find that if there's a mixed buffet with both meat and vegan options, the meat-eaters gobble up the vegan ones so the vegans don't get any.

Yes! People have to have a bad-ass knife for steak and can't hardly chew it.... very ironic indeed. Especially when you get the 'you need meat' lecture whilst they're having huge difficulty eating it !!
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

leedsveg

Last time I jumped up on a (live) cow's back and tried a quick "bite and chew", you won't believe the difficulties I had...

Of course the use of "natural phenomena" such as mechanised slaughter, oven cooking and sharp eating utensils, subsequently made things a tad easier.

Leedsveg

Leedsveg, you forgot to mention the "natural phenomenon" of the "natural meat tenderizer" monosodium glutamate.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. (J. Krishnamurti)

I personally am partial to game (killed wild animals, that is).
    Even when I was still eating meat 20 years ago, It nevertheless intrigued me that you have to let that rot for some time (a week or two if I recall correctly) in order for the meat to get "ready for you to eat". How very appetizing.

Best regards,
    Andy

In the pub once, upon reading the specials board, I remarked in a rather loud voice to my daughter that "the steak has been dead longer than grandma." Yup, 'aged' 3 weeks and grandma dead 2.

She was vegetarian so I hope she enjoyed the irony from up above.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

theresnoreason

First, I want to say how I happy I am that this forum exists. I always feel so alone.

I love when people say "it's natural to eat meat... it's the circle of life" -- Yes, because it's so natural to go to a McDonalds, and order a piece of meat that was raised in a factory farm, and injected with antibotics. ---Natural is hunting, and killing an animal with our bare hands, ripping the flesh off to get to the meat, and then eating it raw with our four little canines. Ugh.

And the lovely "Is it wrong for a lion to eat a lamb?" --- I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that we aren't meant to eat meat--maybe insects, or some tiny amount of meat--- but I always feel like answering that question, with my own question, "Is it wrong for a lamb to eat a lion?"

(This was meant as a reply to the add-on comment about the way meat eaters gobble up the vegan options at buffets.) Isn't that the truth! I attend a lot of conferences, and at the "banquets," the omnivores scarf up the very limited offerings for people like me. I have sat through several dinners with nothing but a plate of lettuce and a glass of water--some of my colleagues think that's all I eat. I have since learned to carry a raw food bar with me on those occasions.

I hate that, Omni's eating our food then they eat dead stuff and we sit hungry. I try to always bring snacks for me and have asked when I order my food ahead of time if it can be put in a box with my name on it.

With the job I have now there are so many meetings and lunches and so far I have only once had a bad lunch of boiled plain soy beef...lol At least they tried I guess.

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

leedsveg

^^^
    Mrs Leedsveg likes to drag take me to meetings with her fellow authors, where nominally, vegan food is provided. At a meeting last year, the vegan meal was lettuce leaves with rice-cakes. Fortunately I had taken with me, my vegan emergency supply of er, rice-cakes.

Leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^^
    Mrs Leedsveg likes to drag take me to meetings with her fellow authors, where nominally, vegan food is provided. At a meeting last year, the vegan meal was lettuce leaves with rice-cakes. Fortunately I had taken with me, my vegan emergency supply of er, rice-cakes.

Leedsveg
    That is hilarious. But I must say I am impressed that you obviously get to attend more enlightened conferences than I do. Lettuce AND rice cakes!

My fiancee and I were ordering dinner at a restaurant the other day. The menu did not cater for vegetarians, let alone vegans. One of the few dishes that we could veganise, the house salad, was beetroot, baby spinach, peanuts and a cheese called haloumi melted through. We said we wanted it without the cheese and the waiter tried to talk us out of it and said we should try ordering something else (hehe like what?). We ordered the dish and when he read through our choices he said "One haloumi, no haloumi". Hahaha! We thought it was hilarious and it's been stuck in our head since

Quote veggie~snackle
    "One haloumi, no haloumi". Hahaha!
    Haha, that reminded me a time years ago when I tried to get a vegan bagel from the Bagel Bar. I asked for the vegetarian bagel without the cheese, and they just looked at me with a mixture of shock and disgust and said 'but we have feta'... as if that would change my mind, as if that was the cheese above all cheeses! I ended up getting it without the feta and finding a better bagel place!
    Houmous atá ann!

I have had similar experiences in restaurants trying to veganize a dish. It can get pretty funny. Here is a somewhat related story that should be filed under "eating with family members who refuse to get it." My husband and I treated my brother and his wife to lunch at one of our favorite (mostly) vegan restaurants. They accepted with great trepidation and looked at the menu very warily. They then both ordered salads (something my husband and I usually have to do when we go to restaurants with them, but they removed all the objectionable items like spinach and cauliflower!). Since they were reluctant to try anything else, I ordered them both some vegan potato salad to try. They took tiny little toddler bites and found it pretty tasty. Then my sister in law asked if the potatoes were real--she said she was afraid that she might be eating tofu. What I said: "A potato is not an animal." What I thought: "Have you read the ingredients in those chicken nuggets you routinely feed your grandchild? And you are afraid of this food?" But the obtuseness is what really bugs me. It is not like we just became vegan, and we have tried to share with them gently and considerately over the years what it means to us to have this lifestyle. I guess they just do not want to understand.

No, not tofu!! =-0 Oh, the fear whenever the word vegan precedes a menu item... Organic,maybe; raw or fresh, so-so. But VEGAN = yuck to most people

Waiter, I'll have the Huevos Rancheros just the Rancheros, please. Sometimes I get mushrooms thrown on instead of the eggs but many dining companions have thought it hilarious to order an egg dish without the egg.

At an omelet station, many oldsters (my age) ask for eggwhite only: they then load up on cheese and sausage filling.
    Up I step and ask for spinach and olive and spinach and some peppers, more spinach with a bit of onion and... hold the eggs.

Quote pat sommer View Post
    No, not tofu!! =-0 Oh, the fear whenever the word vegan precedes a menu item... Organic,maybe; raw or fresh, so-so. But VEGAN = yuck to most people
    lol, i've often mused about starting a vegan restaurant and NOT advertising it as vegan in any way. or a vegan sports bar. omg that would be amazing. but yeah, just marketing/advertising it as a restaurant, not specifically a VEGAN restaurant...I wonder if that would change how people in general viewed the menu?

and i have to say, even as a vegan my pet peeve is when everything is made with tofu.

There used to be a vegan restaurant in London called RootMaster it was in an old Routemaster bus and was really great, unfortunately they closed, I think because the place they used to park was redeveloped. They didn't advertise as vegan and I know lots of people went there who had no idea it was vegan, it was just a cool place to go for a meal. In fact they seemed quite surprised when we told them we were vegan. So it seemed to work for them.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    There used to be a vegan restaurant in London called RootMaster it was in an old Routemaster bus and was really great, unfortunately they closed, I think because the place they used to park was redeveloped. They didn't advertise as vegan and I know lots of people went there who had no idea it was vegan, it was just a cool place to go for a meal. In fact they seemed quite surprised when we told them we were vegan. So it seemed to work for them.
    that sounds great i would love to have a stealthily-vegan sports bar, and advertise it as a place where you can watch football and much on quirky gourmet bar food: falafel, spicy (bean) chili, stuffed grape leaves with tabouli and hummus, hot seitan wings, garlic fries with truffle oil, hand-made veggie-and-bean burgers on whole-grain buns, a portobello "meatball" hoagie with marinara sauce on a crusty bread roll...and roasted chickpeas with spices and kale chips with ground cashews and nutritional yeast instead of the usual boring peanuts in a dish for snacking...i bet i could seriously make up a whole menu for this hypothetical place, without even using fake-meat except for the wings and maybe fajitas.

I worked at a stealth-vegetarian cafe: Tide Tables in Richmond-Upon-Thames. Their sign along the riverbank said Teas Coffees Sandwiches Cakes and underneath vegetarian food available

The old-dears would look at our offerings and ask for a sausage roll; I pointed them to currypuffs or leek and onion pie. Young'ons would ask if anything was veggie and I would whisper conspiratorially, "everything, keep it a secret".

Mind you, pure vegan would be harder to pass off regarding the sacred cuppa tea but otherwise....

I worked at a stealth-vegetarian cafe: Tide Tables in Richmond-Upon-Thames. Their sign along the riverbank said Teas Coffees Sandwiches Cakes and underneath vegetarian food available

The old-dears would look at our offerings and ask for a sausage roll; I pointed them to currypuffs or leek and onion pie. Young'ons would ask if anything was veggie and I would whisper conspiratorially, "everything, keep it a secret".

Mind you, pure vegan would be harder to pass off regarding the sacred cuppa tea but otherwise....
    that sounds fantastic. (especially the leek and onion pie! mmm.)

That's brilliant! Did any omnis ever notice and get belligerent at the lack of meat?

Pat, I used to love going to that place, such a lovely setting. I'd always have a latte with soya milk and a almond twist. I wish I was there now. I loved living in St Margarets. Unfortunately very expensive.

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    Aye!! God I miss that place. Car park is still pretty much as was Wonder if they massively jacked up the rent or something.

The guy from Otto Pizza was saying that it made a huge difference not labelling the vegan option as 'vegan' - it's now their top selling pizza.

I think Londoners aren't afraid of a meatless meal these days especially when just stopping for a rest in a pleasant place. Tide Tables got no complaints for a lack of sausage rolls!

Did witness a befuddled Irishman trying to order a 'normal' cheese sarni from another Richmond cafe: gruyere brie chiabatta and wholegrain sent him scurrying away!
    So, I imagine there are harder places to succeed with a veggie cafe...

A couple of years ago when I was vegetarian (not yet vegan) and fairly new to that aswell, I was out with my family for lunch at a pub. There wasnt much choice on the menu for me, and my mum was trying to be helpful asked the waitress if they had anything vegetarian. "erm....how about scampi and chips?" she said. Obviously not.

I am new to this forum, this being my first post. I have just recently embarked on the vegan lifestyle and its good to be able to read comments from all you like minded people.
    Last edited by JennyOt; Mar 8th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Hello Jenny. Welcome!

It is amazing what people supposedly in the 'food business' can come up with when posed with the veggie/vegan question.

Anyway, there is a Hello! section here if you would like to introduce yourself

Quote theresnoreason View Post
    I love when people say "it's natural to eat meat... it's the circle of life" -- Yes, because it's so natural to go to a McDonalds, and order a piece of meat that was raised in a factory farm, and injected with antibotics. ---Natural is hunting, and killing an animal with our bare hands, ripping the flesh off to get to the meat, and then eating it raw with our four little canines. Ugh.
    Be careful with that argument. There are no naturally occurring fields of lettuce, firm tofu etc either.

If you want to go the hunter-gatherer route, don't forget the "gatherer" part of the equation.

the best one I have heard is that " we have teeth and they are made to eat meat like animals in the wild.." ..........

To that statement I would first examine the (silly big) mouth of the proclaimer to see these savage flesh-tearing teeth; then I'd beg to witness them in action in the wild.
    My level of mockery would adjust to their level of speed and violence...

that was my point ! our mouth are not design for it !

When people tell me "what about your dogs?? With that silly& ugly smile on their face! Then I'm like: "They're vegan too!!" (In your face) OMG I just can't stop laughing!!