Thread: Why do some people think giving up animal products is hard?

Default Why do some people think giving up animal products is hard?

I can understand that people have difficulty in giving up meat and animal product. However, some people, for whatever reason, seem to have trouble giving up leather clothing, products tested on animals, and etc. How is that so hard? That's not even a sacrifice, especially when you can look up many alternatives that work well!

Default Re: Why do some people think giving up products made of animal is hard?

I agree with you, I can't understand it too. I think giving up clothes that are made from leather, wool or other animal materials is the easiest thing to do.
    Then, the food. In my opinion, that is pretty easy too, 'cause there are so many better alternatives and even more tasty for substituting meat, cheese, milk and the others. Moreover, those are way healthier.
    And about giving up products that are tested on animals or contain animal ingredients- well, it depends very much on where you're living. For example, here where I live, in Romania, you can find products that are not tested, but you can find pretty hard products that don't contain animal ingredients. It took me some good weeks to replace all the products that I've used before with vegan ones. But it's not impossible, if you're decided to do it. I've ordered some products and the problem was solved. It wasn't expansive, not more than the products that are not vegan, so it's not hard at all.
    I've heard people complaining about becoming vegan too and I just can't understand how this could be so hard .
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

I think footwear can be pretty hard for some. I've bought a lot of my shoes online, but some people (e.g. my wife) really do need to try them on before they buy.

As far as toiletries and cleaning products, the expense of the items as well as the fact that you find to find the items that work for you is hard. I've been through a lot of vegan shampoos, conditioners, deodorants etc. Before going vegan I had found my brand, then had to start over again with expensive products. And as for deodorants and such, they do not work in the same way as the antiperspirants that I used to buy, so several needed to be tried. 7 yrs later I still haven't found a proper vegan alternative.
    I'd like for things to be natural, but I don't require it, I generally wish that I could buy the same cheap crap with vegan ingredients.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I agree with Indian summer, shoes are a problem for my partner I usually manage to have a mix of cheap synthetic shoes and others from ethical vegan companies. He has had real problems finding them, men can't go to places like new look and get synthetic shoes. Shoes that are suitable for work or when you need to be smart are usually not very nice from vegan companies or not very well made. He doesn't wear trainers just canvas converse type shoes. What do other vegan men do?

We went to a local vegan meal and three of the men including my partner were wearing the same desert boot from vegetarian shoes, quite funny but not great when you want to be individual.

Not really much else we've had problems with except winter coats without wool.

My other half is vegetarian, not vegan, but he gets virtually all his shoes (work and leisure) from Vegetarian Shoes in Brighton. We do go there and try them on first though, unless we're reordering the same ones we've already had.

He seems to find them fine, but I don't think he'd be too worried (or indeed notice) if he went somewhere and found someone else wearing the same shoes One problem he's had with some of the work ones is that the uppers come away from the soles eventually, but I'm not sure if that's particular to vegetarian ones?

He has also got some made-to-order boots from here http://www.guatshoes.co.uk/ - they are expensive (by our standards) but last ages.

ETA in answer to the original question I've wondered the same thing myself. I suppose if you live in a small place or are really strapped for cash the choices are more limited.

Vegan in Germany here, also ordering the "Vegetarian shoes" (that are actually vegan shoes) from the UK through a local vegan importer.

Best regards,
    Andy

I have never had any issues with clothing, but it is very hard with toilitries. I HATE spending a lot of money on shampoos and don't get me started on deoderant. I hate that I stink now. but its just one of those things.....
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

i think food is the easiest because of cost, good vegan food doesn't cost alot. vegan shoes and toiletries do.
    readily available cheap vegan shoes do not last as long as the leather ones, good vegan shoes will last the same sort of time as leather but are more expensive sometimes it is not an option for people, it costs too much.
    toiletries, i find most people will buy them if they are available and affordable and wont if they're not.
    it is tough if you dont have lots of money. which is no win because until they are bought more they wont get cheaper.
    be the change you wish to see in the world.

I will be fine buying all new things cruelty/ animal parts free. I decided to start making my home soap and I’ll see how that works out. But I do not have enough money to buy new winter boots or a new winter coat right now. I listen to the awesome podcasts called “Vegetarian food for thought” which is about Veganism and one show was about practical veganism and how we are not trying to be perfect but doing the best we can.

My goal is to be compassionate to all living things which mean to me I understand not everyone can afford to get rid of everything they own that is from animals. I have also heard about people that work in the trades that have a very difficult time finding the proper boots.

LG

Most people can't afford to throw all their stuff away, I don't think. If you replace it gradually that gives you more time to find satisfactory (and not too expensive) alternatives, too.

I understand that, and also that we're none of us perfect. It just seems odd to do the vegan food thing but not bother about the clothes etc thing at all

I'm confused myself who is not doing the clothes etc at all? My post was about doing it gradually so all replacements are vegan. And that I and some others cannot afford to buy all new things right now.
    The goal will always be Vegan

LG

To be honest, I haven't met anyone who wanted to go vegan but found it a challenge to give up animal clothing products. For me, it's as easy as just not buying those things. Helps that I'm poor! BUT, I could understand if some people are wary of some synthetic materials because many are also very bad for the environment and the chemicals used are bad for the workers too! I've been to China and have been exposed to the textile industry there. It can be pretty bad for workers' health. One might think that these people have a choice in where they work, but most people are not educated in the dangers of chemicals AND have little choice for jobs.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    I'm confused myself who is not doing the clothes etc at all? My post was about doing it gradually so all replacements are vegan. And that I and some others cannot afford to buy all new things right now.
    The goal will always be Vegan

LG
    LG, it's funny you bring this up. Last night I was laying in bed having an internal debate with myself. When I graduated college years ago, I was given a leather briefcase. It's very fancy, and I mostly only use it when traveling or attending conferences. Since going vegan, I've been replacing non-vegan things with vegan things (I needed a new coat and boots this year, so I did not buy wool or leather).

However, since I rarely use the briefcase and it has some sentimental value, I'm not sure when I should be replacing it. Should I donate it? It would be very difficult for me to explain to someone that I am a vegan and yet be toting around a big leather case. I have a conference to attend next week (which is what brought this up in my mind, as I was thinking that I better pack up my briefcase) and now I'm feeling very torn on what to do.

Is there really much of a need to actively replace the case? Unless you don't like the thought of having it around, I don't see much of a point to doing it really.
    I had the same sort of thing in mind with my old leather wallet, but when I thought about it, it seemed to almost devalue the death more for less to come from it. When it gets to a point where it's unusable, I will be getting a synthetic one obviously, but till then, there's nothing at all to be gained from me getting rid of it, I imagine the same applies with your case. As far as the explanation bit goes "Why how could that help" has always been enough when I've been asked about it.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    I'm confused myself who is not doing the clothes etc at all?
    I was referring back to the original posting at the top of this thread, Ladygold. I have heard elsewhere of people who eat a vegan diet but don't avoid animal products in other aspects of their lives. I've also been told that (in some cases) they eat a vegan diet purely for health reasons, but I find that a bit odd in itself.

Mary, I agree about synthetics not being that desirable from an environmental point of view. You can get some shoes, bags and stuff made out of hemp and so forth and in an ideal world I guess those would cover most of our needs.

Glory, will you really need to explain your case if you go on using it for now? I find people don't really notice what I'm using/not using unless I bring the subject up myself.

Aaron
    Is there really much of a need to actively replace the case? Unless you don't like the thought of having it around, I don't see much of a point to doing it really.
    The case is in great condition, so there is no need to replace it. I guess it's just bothering me a little bit. It would be worse to be wasteful though.

Harpy
    Glory, will you really need to explain your case if you go on using it for now? I find people don't really notice what I'm using/not using unless I bring the subject up myself.
    This is a good point. I'm probably more worried about it then anyone else would be. I'm still a new vegan, so I guess I worry about "doing it wrong" or being a bad example for someone else considering veganism. I will think on this for a while.

Thanks!

Quote TheHRchannel View Post
    I can understand that people have difficulty in giving up meat and animal product.
    I don't really think most of those who appear to believe it's hard to give up animal based foodstuff think that it's so hard. My feeling is that they assume that vegan food doesn't taste as good as what they currently eat, so they aren't really (considering) trying.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Glory: I totally understand, thats why I came on here to hear others thoughts on things. I want to "represent" well

I also just heard in the food for thought podcast to ask yourself if getting rid of the item would help an animal now. Thats helping me alot.

LG

Quote Glory View Post
    Aaron

The case is in great condition, so there is no need to replace it. I guess it's just bothering me a little bit. It would be worse to be wasteful though.

Harpy

This is a good point. I'm probably more worried about it then anyone else would be. I'm still a new vegan, so I guess I worry about "doing it wrong" or being a bad example for someone else considering veganism. I will think on this for a while.

Thanks!
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Quote Glory View Post
    However, since I rarely use the briefcase and it has some sentimental value, I'm not sure when I should be replacing it.
    Glory, I won't judge you if you keep it, especially since it has sentimental value. You didn't go out and buy it. Things have just changed in your life, and you are paring down the things that make you uncomfortable and don't fit into your newer lifestyle. I feel the same way about a couple of my handbags and shoes. I am still having an internal debate over them.

What I will probably do is sell them on ebay and use the money to replace them with a kinder choice. But that is for me and my life. You need to do what works for you. Listen to your instincts. They are rarely wrong. And we don't need to know what you decide to do ifyou won't want to share.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    I also just heard in the food for thought podcast to ask yourself if getting rid of the item would help an animal now. Thats helping me alot.
    Thanks for this LG. It helps me, too. Wait a minute...Or not. Maybe it confuses me more. Or not. Wait, wait! I don't know. LMAO

Quote Korn View Post
    I don't really think most of those who appear to believe it's hard to give up animal based foodstuff think that it's so hard. My feeling is that they assume that vegan food doesn't taste as good as what they currently eat, so they aren't really (considering) trying.
    Actually, that does make sense. Maybe some people fear that going on a plant-based diet means that they won't enjoy anything delicious. It's really good to be vegan if one tries hard to learn about the lifestyle.

Actually, that does make sense. Maybe some people fear that going on a plant-based diet means that they won't enjoy anything delicious. It's really good to be vegan if one tries hard to learn about the lifestyle.
    So true! I ve been a vegan for a while now and my roommates used to cringe at some of the things I ate. I believe one of them even said they would NEVER eat tofu. They are trying to lose weight now and PAY me to cook for them (just to cover the price of food, etc.), and they are pleasantly surprised to find my "rabbit food" is delicious. Honestly I think being vegan/vegetarian is just one of those things you have to try to know how great it is. And how can you blame people for being skeptical we (most of us at least) are conditioned since birth to think that eating meat is just "normal" (this isnt meant to sound accusatory Im just thinking out loud I guess).

I don't even think one needs to try that hard. The problem is that most people who think it's hard haven't even tried, or put any amoungt of effort/energy into at all. Of course a lifelong vegan who would start living on a standard diet - or a lifelong meat (etc) eater who wants to go vegan needs to understand that there will a transitional period. Some time will be needed to make the switch. But with internet, access to all info you need/recipes etc is just a few clicks away. Going vegan is easier than it ever has been.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Quote chello View Post
    I ve been a vegan for a while now and my roommates used to cringe at some of the things I ate. I believe one of them even said they would NEVER eat tofu. They are trying to lose weight now and PAY me to cook for them (just to cover the price of food, etc.), and they are pleasantly surprised to find my "rabbit food" is delicious.
    That's great, chello! Well done, sounds as if you're a good cook!

A lot of people seem very conservative about food and think that eating differently from how they are used to must be some kind of huge "sacrifice" but if they can be persuaded to try it they are often pleasantly surprised.

I have some difficulties with regard to toiletries as well - but that is mainly because in Turkey, it's hard to find 'cruelty - free' brands that are more readily available in Europe. For example; I had to look for weeks to find a toothpaste that was not tested on animals and the ones I did finally find were not the tastiest and would just leave a nasty taste & layer in my mouth. It literally took me 3 weeks to find one that I liked & was cruelty free. It was a bit frustrating at times, but it also felt really good to know that my efforts were worth something.

I have now found the perfect toothpaste and I love the fact that my teeth,too, will be healthy and cruelty free from now on!