Thread: Opinion on animal products like wool, that animals are not harmed in the process

UnicornFreedom:)

Default Opinion on animal products like wool, that animals are not harmed in the process

I've found a most lovely looking cloak, but am also torn on the fact that being a new vegan, I've banned animal products (of course), and the cloak is made of alpaca wool. It's claimed that no animals are harmed nor is there any animal testing, and it's not produced by a company but my artisans which provides benefits to the people who produce it. I'm not sure exactly on the specifics, I haven't contacted the seller because of the need to be 18 to have an ebay account but I may use my mom's soon.

Here's the link, maybe it'll help get more insight on what I'm talking about. http://worldofgood.ebay.com/New-Cape...427883882/item

But in the more general question, what are your thoughts of using animal products where the animals are not harmed and are allowed to live their natural life out? I feel like it isn't so bad, if the animal is kept happy and like a 'companion animal'. But what are your thoughts?

Default Re: Opinion on animal products like wool, that animals are not harmed in the pro

I totally see what you mean and where you're coming from, but having said that, to me it isn't really about whether the animal had a good life or not, it's the fact that they are using that animal for something that is not theirs, ie: the animals coat.

It's also important to remember that many people think free range hens have good lives but this really is not so, just because the animal isnt "harmed" does not mean it's ok for us to use the animal for meat, dairy or wool/fur. That is how I understand veganism, others may disagree.

I would not buy wool, each to their own, but I'm sure you could find a lovely cloak made from something non animal derived

UnicornFreedom:)

Default Re: Opinion on animal products like wool, that animals are not harmed in the pro

I have been searching to no avail! I want something similar, even if not with the wool See, I know that's the argument (exploiting animals), but I think that it's different that the free range hens and such because those are by company, and I believe this product is made by a single person. It's not a big deal to me, like "oooh, alpaca wool, I REALLY want that!", I just like the style and thickness :P So hopefully I will find something different soon! Besides, $100 is a bit pricey... haha.

The problem is with animal products being seen as a commodity. As demand increases so does the likelihood of exploitation. I don't see how it can't cause harm to be honest, once an animal product becomes profitable then it's in the interest of the person making that profit to breed them and use them for their own benefit.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth