Thread: How do you melt vegan cheese?

Default How do you melt vegan cheese?

So far, I'm using Vegan Rice Slice Cheese, and Daiya. I never melted cheese before.

Default Re: How do you melt vegan cheese?

Not all vegan cheeses melt. Daiya should melt, people use it shredded on pizza, or you can melt it into a sauce (a french bechamel for example). Some people put their pizza under the broiler after baking to apply extra heat to melt and grill the cheese a bit.

Tofutti cheddar slices melt into a nasty blob of fat. That's not so nice. They are good in a grilled cheese sandwich where they just feel the heat and soften but not really melt into a fatty blob.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    Not all vegan cheeses melt. Daiya should melt, people use it shredded on pizza, or you can melt it into a sauce (a french bechamel for example). Some people put their pizza under the broiler after baking to apply extra heat to melt and grill the cheese a bit.

Tofutti cheddar slices melt into a nasty blob of fat. That's not so nice. They are good in a grilled cheese sandwich where they just feel the heat and soften but not really melt into a fatty blob.
    I tried melting Rice Vegan Cheese and it was moving like a bubble but the Daiya was doing fine. I take it that Rice Vegan Cheese is one of the cheese that doesn't mel.

I need to find a V. cheese in the UK that melts well in a sauce, I dont use these normally and dont want to waste money trying several different ones. I am trying to adapt a stuffed nut loaf that I used as a veggie. The nut part starts off as a thick 'cheese' and onion sauce.
    Any suggestions??

I have had good results with grating non-melting vegan cheese and mixing it with soy cream.

Also, Vegusto makes a "Melty" that is supposed to melt well.

Best regards,
    Andy

I have melted Vegourmet with some success but I found it melted best in the microwave, the Redwood cheezly super melting does melt (kind of) but I have found that Tofutti cheese slices melt well in sauces

Thanks, I'll give Tofutti a try as I know I can get that easily, if its not successful I think I'll just use a white sauce as the loaf never tasted cheesy, I think it was more about binding it.

Yes, or you could make a white sauce with some nutritional yeast in it if you would like a slight cheese-like tang

Quote TheHRchannel View Post
    I tried melting Rice Vegan Cheese and it was moving like a bubble but the Daiya was doing fine. I take it that Rice Vegan Cheese is one of the cheese that doesn't mel.
    Rice cheese doesn't melt like soy cheese or regular dairy cheese. From experience, I learned that most rice cheeses have a pretty specific "melting" point. If you toast it with bread, place it under a broiler or microwave it for too long it becomes hard and really dry. If you maintain the humidity/moist level high and heat it up for less than a minute, it should "melt". Regardless, most are delicious. My fav is the pepperjack!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Vegan cheese -.-'

I decided to try some for the first time last week and kind of underestimated the need for a fridge, it grew mould in under a day spent in a cellar!

Awe! How sad! I am so paranoid of airborne bacteria and little insects crawling on my food...I refrigerate practically everything I purchase...except for canned foods and things that require room temperature storage. I have multiple refrigerators (energy efficient) to store crap away.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Quote Maître View Post
    Vegan cheese -.-'

I decided to try some for the first time last week and kind of underestimated the need for a fridge, it grew mould in under a day spent in a cellar!
    Sheese is the opposite, apparently it can be kept out of the fridge for years (under the title 'Additional notes on chilled items' it apparently improves after being kept in a warm garage/caravan although I wouldn't want to try it personally):http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/...formation.html

I bought some Tofutti Mozzarella style cheese last week in Manchester and I tried to make a sandwich of it yesterday, but the cheese tasted a bit funny. I didn't have a fridge in my hotel room, so I had put the cheese leaning against the windowglass for 2 days. (had to come up with a solution!) I didn't have the heaters on either and my room was quite chilly the whole time, but could it have gone 'bad' because it was not refrigerated properly?

Also any sandwich suggestions/combinations? Thanks!!!

I like Toffutti melted and I might nibble on it unmelted but I wouldn't make a sandwich of it, it tastes like that plasticy processed dairy cheese that they put on fast food burgers. I like Toffutti in a toasted sandwich w/Marmite mmm...
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes, or you could make a white sauce with some nutritional yeast in it if you would like a slight cheese-like tang
    I usually put a little chilli powder, and some onion granules and garlic powder in nutritional yeast 'cheese sauce' to give it a stronger, more cheddar-like taste.

Re: nut roast, I never put any 'binder' type ingredients and it always comes out OK, with just breadcrumbs, ground nuts, onions, herbs and soy sauce. I fry the onions, then add all the other ingredients, stir together and gradually add a small amount of water, water and tomato puree or tomato passata, just enough to bind the mixture together. It forms into a loaf or balls that keep their shape when roasted. A little grated lemon peel is lovely too. Or some mushrooms chopped small and added for the last few minutes of frying the onions. Feeling hungry now!
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right