Thread: Hairloss

Question Hairloss

Hello everybody. So I have been vegan for a little over 3 months and in late September I noticed that I am losing way more hair than normal. I mean waaay more. Even my eyebrows are falling out! I thought that my intake of nutrients was pretty good since I eat more vegetables now and tofu.
    Could anybody tell me what nutrient/vitamin I am lacking and what I should purchase to counteract this problem?

Default Re: What Nutrient Am I Lacking? Hairloss

How do you know it's diet related? You should really visit a doctor.

Having said that, if you want to play guessing games it could be iron.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    How do you know it's diet related? You should really visit a doctor.

Having said that, if you want to play guessing games it could be iron.
    I know I should visit a Doctor and I will try to find time to do this perhaps next week. I would just like to know if anyone else had this problem and can identify the problem.
    I honestly don't think it is iron because I was vegetarian for 2 years before going vegan and I hardly ever ate vegetables. My mom never bought them, same with fruit. When I was vegetarian, I never had this problem.

Could be stress or an underactive thyroid, or one of the many causes of alopecia.

It's not a common thing amongst vegans.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Have you lost weight too? Do you get enough calories? If you're only vegan for 3 months I doubt you could be deficient in nutrients even if you tried unless you already were and it only starts to manifest itself now. Have you changed shampoo / conditioner or starting taking new/other meds?

Quote CoolCat View Post
    Have you lost weight too? Do you get enough calories? If you're only vegan for 3 months I doubt you could be deficient in nutrients even if you tried unless you already were and it only starts to manifest itself now. Have you changed shampoo / conditioner or starting taking new/other meds?
    I have not lost any weight and I believe that I do get enough calories in a day.
    I have not changed shampoo or condtioner and I don't take any medications as it is.

Default Re: What nutrient am I lacking? Hairloss

Quote Desiree View Post
    Could anybody tell me what nutrient/vitamin I am lacking
    Hi,
    the answer is unfortunately... no! How would we know? This may or may not be diet related, but without a blood analysis, nobody can tell you if you're low in certain nutrients or which these nutrients would be....
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

There are lots of nutrients linked with hair loss, but you get most of them by eating a tyical "greens and beans" kind of diet - if you're doing that and getting b12/iodine (is salt iodized in Canada?) then it's more than likely that it's something other than diet causing the hair loss - either way, as people have said already, go see the doctor as there are ridiculously large amounts of things which can cause hair loss and nutrient deficiency is actually one of the less common ones I believe.

IF it is diet related then it could be silica or zinc.

Silica is plentiful in many fibrous foods such as celery, peppers, carrots, potatoes, unrefined grains and
    cereals
    and beets. Silica is found in hemp leaves, nettles leaves and horesetail (tremendous source). Other herbal sources of silicon include alfalfa, blue cohosh, chickweed, cornsilk, dandelion, horsetail, red raspberry, Alfafla, Oat straw and stinging nettle. And, don't forget that Silica is also found in the shiny fruits and veggies such as red peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers
    Also oats are rich in silica.

Quote Korn View Post
    Hi,
    the answer is unfortunately... no! How would we know? This may or may not be diet related, but without a blood analysis, nobody can tell you if you're low in certain nutrients or which these nutrients would be....
    Ahhh see, I lack education in this field and therefore only thought stress, pregnancy, and nutrient deficiency causes hair loss. I thought maybe other vegans might've had this problem because I thought for sure it was a nutrient deficiency and if they had that confirmed by a doctor.

I have the problem too, but I had it decades before I became vegan ;-)

If you have not changed your shampoo since going vegan, maybe you want to check if the shampoo itself is vegan / tested on animals.

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote Andy_T View Post
    I have the problem too, but I had it decades before I became vegan ;-)

If you have not changed your shampoo since going vegan, maybe you want to check if the shampoo itself is vegan / tested on animals.

Best regards,
    Andy
    I have not changed my shampoo/conditioner since going Vegan but I know that it does not test on animals since it says so on the label. I also know that it is NOT vegan but I bought it about 6ish months ago and there is still a lot in there so I have no choice but to use it.