Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Spain

Default Re: Vegan in Spain??

i moved to Cordoba, which is in andalucia, in the south. as for being vegan friendly... i am able to get most of the products, but some things they just dont have like nut butters without additives, so gotta make that urself or bring it. also i cant find pesto without cheese but i suppose i could make that too. they have alot of soyproducts produced in spain, that are cheap and in the regular supermarkets. other than that i just go to el corte ingles and buy imported things.
    as for this town in general i wouldnt recommend it for anyone wanting to live in spain, it gets pretty boring after a while, its sorta a hybridtown, wants to be a big city with a small town charm, but just doesnt pull it off...

how long are you staying insubordination?

Quote radgepunk View Post
    I Am Of To Alicante City Next Summer , And Would Like To Know If Anyone Can Tell Me If I Can Get Vegan Ice Cream Anywhere, And Any Other Advice About Where I Can Get Vegan SuppliES
    Haha,all right m8?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote drooly View Post
    i am able to get most of the products, but some things they just dont have like nut butters without additives, so gotta make that urself or bring it.
    i'd recomend you take a look at natural /health stuff stores and check if they have any (even in el corte ingles sometimes they had it i think). most of them do have, but's hidden. it's pretty expensive though, but at least i'm almost sure you can get some. i had a catalog or something that had listed health food stores in spain. if i find it, i'll post where you can go. if not, there are some magazines like "integral" or cuerpomente" that have some announcements and propaganda, and usually you can find health stuff stores in there (and some product reviews as well that are helpful if you don't know brands yet)

good luck!

Thanks for all the tips. Will probably stay 8 months and then go travelling. Buying a round the world ticket.

Hey, im Vegan living in madrid!x

hey! me too!, what barrio do you live in?
    I'm in lavapies, have you just moved?
    besos

Hi,

Can anyone recommend places to eat and health food shops to go to in Benidorm?
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Ugh, Frank, are you sure you´re gonna land there? Benidorm is a crammed resort, highly massified. Anyway, these are the places I found
    Restaurante vegetariano Sebastián

Ruzafa 14
    Benidorm
    Comunidad Valenciana, España

and this one is 10minutes from Benidorm

http://www.raycons.com/venusalbir/

And don´t forget that not far from there is Valencia, where an active animal rights group, bent on veganism, is based. You can contact them here:
    http://www.defensanimal.org/
    Have a nice stay here!

Quote erfoud View Post
    Ugh, Frank, are you sure you´re gonna land there? Benidorm is a crammed resort, highly massified. Anyway, these are the places I found
    Restaurante vegetariano Sebastián
    Ruzafa 14
    Benidorm
    Comunidad Valenciana, España
    Hi Erfoud, I had a response from the VS in Spain and they stated:

''Unfortunately, there are no veg restaurants in Benidorm. You may probably find an outdated reference to a vegetarian restaurant named "Sebastian", in old listings. It closed more than 15 years ago, so better don't even try to look for it.''

Have you been to either of the restaurants you stated?

And yes - highly massified will do for now..............
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Well, no Frank...as a matter of fact I came across them through the web, but I have never been there. Well I went to Benidorm some 20 years ago, but I wasn´t even a vegetarian then, so I haven´t a clue about veggie joints. Anyway, there must be something, as among the throngs of foreign visitors there must be some vegetarians...All in all, you´d better ask in the tourist info once there. Good luck (and tell me what you think about it!)

I'm off to Madrid in October. Any restaurant suggestions? I've looked on Happy Cow but would appreciate some feedback from people who have tried some of the places.
    Does anyone know if Teteria Vegania is still open? Is it a long way out or quite central?

What about wine and beer? (I asked on the sincarne website a while back but didn't get much response about vegan alcohol.)

Also what type of weather can I expect at that time of year?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

hedge

I realise this is a late reply but for anyone else wanting to know about Vegan Beer then I know Corona and bottled San Miguel is Vegan. Draught San Miguel is unclear.
    Also the Spanish Vegan Society site is not kept up to date at all. The guy who runs it has not been well.

Thanks Hedge. I wasn't sure which beers would be available there. I didn't go in October but now expect to go in late spring / early summer. So any feedback and reviews of eateries would still be useful.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

heya!
    If you go to madrid Id strongly recomend you visit the organic vegetarian buffet on Calle Huertas, near metro tirso de Molina...or Anton Martin, its not all vegan, but all veggie and organic, just check whats not vegan before you pick, it by weight...very nice...

Then there's a Vegetarian Macrobiotic restaurant ,also by Anton Martin called La Biotika it's sometimes nice..I used to work there, used to all be vegan except some puddings(Kefir) But now they use cheese in some of their dishes..sometimes its really good sometimes not so much, it really depends on which day you go cause they have different chefs....

There is a Vegetarian restaurant by Plaza Lavapies(metro lavapies) that I cant remember the name for but thats nice too...

Good luck!

Hi Marrers, have you seen "The New Spain" guide? I'd really love to get one, too. I don't have any good reviews of Spain... I went there right after becoming vegan and couldn't speak Spanish. I went to more traditional restaurants, or little hidden cafes w/ small menus and no English servers. I did find that there were a few Moroccan and Middle Eastern restaurants that were somewhat accomodating.

I'd love to make it back to Sevilla and Madrid to explore a bit more, though. It was quite easy to get dairy/ meat alternatives at the local grocery stores. The fruit and veggies in the restaurants were awesome.

As far as weather... I went to Sevilla in March. It was perfect weather! In the mid-60s and 70s and sunny. We only had to wear light jackets out to dinner and clubs at night. It didnt rain one day we were there!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

robbie

hey, great thread! I'm going to the south coast of Spain next week (25th June - 9th July) around the areas of Granada, Sevilla and Almeria. This thread has been really handy! Does anyone know of anywhere in this area worth checking out that's vegan friendly? I'm not sure how much we can travel outside of the south into the mainland and north due to money.

I'll be staying with my girlfriend's friends, in hostels and camping most of the time. My girlfriend is Spanish herself so I'm hoping I won't have to many problems with difficult translations. I'm just hoping we can pick up soya milk and dairy free spreads quite easily, by the sounds of things I should be fine.

Also, does anyone know of any Animal Rights groups or demos that will be taking place in the south around this time?

And!!! I'm keen on going to one or two punk/hardcore/grindcore gigs when I'm down there, anyone know of any decent venues/bands/gigs worth checking out then let me know! I'm a big fan of Experimental and Noise music as well!

Thank you! Robbie

In las Alpujarras there is L'Atelier which is a lovely Veggie hotel and restaurant. A bit of a drive from the main towns though!

In Granada, the guy from L'Atelier told us about this restaurant (Mar y Monte)... surprisingly from the outside it looks like a normal meat eating restaurant but when we went in and asked for vegan stuff they took out an exclusively veggie menu for us!!!

There are also other place in HappyCow.net...

BTW, no chance getting vegan spread but there is always lovely olive oil! SOya milk will be tricky to get in restaurants etc but you can buy it in shops easily!

for demos, check out the page of igualdadanimal.

Have fun!

I'm off to Sevilla next Sunday for a week, and I just found this:

http://www.veganitessen.es/

A vegan bakery! Am v. excited.

Vegan bakery? *is very envious*
    Have a great time in Spain

Veganitessen in Sevilla was amazing - I couldn't get there until the day before I left, so had to eat 4 cakes in one day. It would have been rude to buy any fewer.

I had a really nice meal at Gaia Restaurante. The corpse-eater I dragged along with me admitted it was the best meal he'd eaten all week.

I was also really impressed with the supermarket El Cortes Ingles - they had a huge selection of vegan foods - much better than any english supermarket I've been to. My overall impression is that it would be pretty easy to live as a vegan in Seville, though eating in regular restaurants could be a bit of a trial.

Hi all - I'm off to the Costa Brava next month, apparently there is a large Carrefour supermarket close by and I was wondering if anyone knows whether I will be able to pick up anything vegan in there? I'm hoping that they will have soya milk and possibly some soya margerine? Am planning to take a trip to Barcelona early in the holiday as I'm sure I'll be able to pick up more vegan food there, so if anyone has any tips for vegan shopping in Barcelona they will be greatly appreciated too! Thanks

Lucky you, KayJay. Barcelona was vg for vegetarian/vegan restaurants, but I didn't investigate the food shopping. However there are quite a few places listed on HappyCow.

As regards Carrefour it's French, isn't it, and in France supermarkets usually sell soy milk because there are a lot of milk-avoiders (if not vegans!) there. Not sure about soy margarine but perhaps you could use olive oil instead in an emergency? They are bound to have plenty of that

Hope you will hear from someone who actually knows what they're talking about!

Thanks Harpy - yes am really looking forward to visiting Barcelona, have had a look on HappyCow and found some places to eat and shop, just need to get sorted with a map now!

Am hoping that the local carrefour will have a good selection for me, but if all else fails am sure they'll have a decent fruit & veg section!

hedge

The Carrefour hyper markets stock soya milk and soya yoghurts as well as tofu and these really delicious vegan pasties, veggie burgers and mushroom croquets . Great convenient food.
    They also do a vegan Mandarin Sorbet which is to die for.
    Not sure about vegan Margarine.

Brilliant thanks Hedge that's great news - do you know if they are marked as being vegan or will I need to read ingredients to find out? Also do you know whether I will be able to pick up Humous easily? Thanks again

hedge

They are not marked as vegan. The brand name is Soria Natural. I'm pretty certain that all their products are vegan except the mini pizzas, best to familiarise yourself with some words and read the ingredients though. You can buy hummus in Carrefour and pretty much every other Spanish supermarket.

hedge

Also - Mercadona is another big supermarket, none of their beauty products and household products are tested on animals.

Wow even more great news - thanks again hedge! Really can't wait for my visit now

hedge

You're very welcome. Happy travels.

hedge

Carrefour hypermarkets also sell nooch, TVP mince and TVP chunks.

Yay! It just gets better! Is nooch the brand name hedge?

WHAT!!!! That's amazing can't wait to get there now - what's the packaging like hedge please?

Awesome thanks again hedge - hope I can find some!

Great news about that hedge. I hadn't realised either. My wife said she has found some vegan dark chocolate in Mercadona but I've not had a chance to see what's in it yet.
    chocolate vegan icelollies

Back now! Had a great time and managed to get a few vegan things in Carrefour, such as the mushroom croquettes and also some vegan steak type things! It's nice to see some "free-from" sections popping up in the Spanish supermarkets too - a good start but could be better!

Hi, so I don't know if there are many people checking this forum lately, but I had a random question and can't find the answer doing an internet search. Some time ago I found a restaurant that is either vegetarian or vegan with locations in both the UK and Spain. The restaurant (maybe it was a co-op?) also offered paid internship that would teach a person cooking and baking vegan/vegetarian. I cannot remember what city it was in, the name of the place, and I seemed to not have saved the information on my computer. Does anyone have any clue what I might be talking about? I live in the US but have been thinking about moving to Spain for a while now, my family lives in southern Spain, and this is a program I want to look more into, if it's not a figment of my imaginative memory.

Thanks so much!
    Ana

Planeta Vegano is a vegan store in Madrid and delivery vegan products to all Spain.
    www.planetavegano.com

Sausages, cheeses, vegan egg!, vegan pet food, burguers, shoes, books, t-shirts, vitamins, ice cream, chocolate and more

Hi, I know it is a bit late to answer but anyway I think it can help anyone who reads it: it is true that many of the beauty products in Mercadona say they are not tested in animals, but be careful and don't forget to read the ingredients, as many of them are not tested in animals but do have animal components such as urea, bee wax, milk, etc.

Quote Meddora
    Hi, I know it is a bit late to answer but anyway I think it can help anyone who reads it: it is true that many of the beauty products in Mercadona say they are not tested in animals, but be careful and don't forget to read the ingredients, as many of them are not tested in animals but do have animal components such as urea, bee wax, milk, etc.
    Wow, wished I'd known that when I lived in Spain! I was in Barcelona and it was fantastic for vegan food and cleaning products but I could never find any inexpensive toiletries, I just brought stuff over from Ireland. Do you know which Mercadona products are vegan?
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Wow, wished I'd known that when I lived in Spain! I was in Barcelona and it was fantastic for vegan food and cleaning products but I could never find any inexpensive toiletries, I just brought stuff over from Ireland. Do you know which Mercadona products are vegan?
    I wouldn't call any of Mercadona products vegan as they don't specify to be made just from vegetable products. That's why I stopped buying beauty products there, because every time I looked at the ingredients of those ones which specified not to be tested in animals, I always found animal components in them...
    If animals don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they go

Heya all, I'm going back to live in BCN for a while and even though I'm bringing a stash of Superdrug stuff with me I'm wondering where Spanish vegans buy their cosmetics and toiletries? I remember seeing some Jason and other vegan products in organic shops such as Biospace and Veritas but they weren't cheap (Vegania/Ecocentre did some stuff but as far as I can see it's not there any more). Are there any cheaper vegan options that anyone knows of? Thanks!

ETA: Ecocentre has up-to-date reviews on happy cow so it must still be there! Thought it moved to Madrid but it seems that it has shops in Madrid and Barcelona... will have to check it out when I'm there!
    Last edited by Blueberries; Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

hi there. you can try ives rocher, which is a chain where you can find all sorts of cosmetic products. i've been buying mine there since a girl i know emailed them asking whether their proucts were vegan (both free from animal ingredients AND animal testing) and she got a very complete and helpful response, incluiding a full bulletin on that, which confirmed they actually are. i also like the quality and they're very affordable, and you can get a free membership which gives you coupons and such... but, i'm in madrid (lots of ives rocher stores in here), although i'm sure you'll find some in bcn as well.
    and, oh well, there are these places where you can buy toiletries hat are hand made/natural ingredients and some of them claim to be vegan (sorry- i don't remember names now, but i'll edit if any name comes to my head n.n ). so there you go

Thanks stumbleine! I'm going to have a look at the website now

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Thanks stumbleine! I'm going to have a look at the website now
    you're welcome n.n
    another thing that you might find useful is to email companies, because, for some reason (some happy reason) they end to answer quickly and accurately- i mean, if a product isn't vegan, they tell you too...
    btw, the name of the chain i dind't remeber was Lush. It's fairly exensive at first, but the soap and shampoo bars last a good while, plus they smell divine

I looked at the website http://www.yves-rocher.es/control/main, it looks like L'Occitane http://es.loccitane.com/l'occitane-e...163,235521.htm. Are all Yves Rocher products vegan? L'Occitane has alot of vegan stuff but they have non-vegan stuff too. Forgot about Lush, we have Lush here in Ireland too, I love Lush!

well, according to what i read in the bulletin they sent this girl i mentioned, they have a free from animal ingredients and testing policy, and they also support organic sources for their products. i does look similar to l'occitane...
    ok. so, i just checked, and apparently yves rocher changed their policies recently and do not have the free from animal testing approval now, damn ;___; it's a sad thing that globalization does not usually demand cruelty-free anything- take a look at this http://veggiebeauty.com/my-cruelty-free-list
    it seems like i'll have to just run out of my remaining yr suplies and do some more research in the meantime

From their English website: 'All animal testing stopped in 1989. Yves Rocher products are never formulated with animal-based ingredients, with the exception of honey and bees-wax' http://www.yves-rocher.co.uk/control...cal_research_/. So it is like L'Occitane. I'm going to email them and ask about their vegan list.

Not so keen on Yves Rocher or L'Occitane because of this China/animal testing thing http://www.uncaged.co.uk/news/2012/c...al-testing.htm - or have I missed an update on that?

Quote harpy View Post
    Not so keen on Yves Rocher or L'Occitane because of this China/animal testing thing http://www.uncaged.co.uk/news/2012/c...al-testing.htm - or have I missed an update on that?
    I didn't know anything about that. It's so frustrating when a company says that they don't test but other sources say they do!
    Houmous atá ann!

Think they don't run tests themselves but have to give the Chinese govt money so they can do it, as a condition of selling there? Or something like that? Lush still ok as far as I know.