Thread: Soya mince

Fiksdal

Default Soya mince

Hi! Have any of you tried soya mince? I eat it every day now because its so simple and full of protein. I just mix it with soymilk and grains and fruit and make porridge in the microwave. But does it have to be cooked really well, like soybeans do, for it to be healthy? Anyone know? Is just microwaving it ok?

Default Re: Soya mince

porridge from soya mince??

are you talking about the savoury mince or something else?

Fiksdal

what is savoury mince? haha Im talking about this product: http://goo.gl/91cl4

I found it at an immigrant store downtown. It seems pretty good apparantly its 50% protein. I suppose it must be processed soybeans somehow.

and yeah porridge I like it. I love protein, and I like variation from the legumes I usually have.

oh right, the dehydrated mince, i see what you mean now.

i've certainly never thought of making porridge from it, i'm not sure i could get over my idea that it is a 'savoury' product. without the addition of fruit etc, does it not have any savoury basic flavour? i don't use the dried mince, i usually use frozen mince. years ago i used this stuff for a while before frozen came onto the market but found it bland and flavourless - so hey! maybe it IS good for sweeter stuff too!

........i'll still need convincing though - still if you enjoy it, go for it!!!

That is hands down the most bizzare food combination I've ever heard!

Yeah that's just good ol' TVP, stick it in lasagnas, burritos, chillis and shepard's pies. Rehydrate it first by cooking it in water with some seasoning, I use veg stock, smoked paprika and soy sauce. Then just use it as normal in recipes that call for mince meat.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Fiksdal

hahaha. I get it, it feels like putting meat mince in porridge, haha.

no I think it tastes fine. its just soy anyway. the question is, does the stuff have to be cooked in a particular way in order not to be dangerous?( as is the case with raw soy beans)

I find TVP rather indigestible, but if you can eat it after microwaving without any ill effects then it's probably ok Fiksdal...I do find the combination a bit strange, but it sounds a lot more appetising than snail porridge, which a trendy restaurant here serves

hmm i don't think i'd fancy it in porridge ... i make a mean spag bol out of that tho *yum*