Thread: UK - Where to buy jackfruit?

Default UK - Where to buy jackfruit?

I've just recently heard about jackfruit: an Asian fruit that is, apparently, incredibly meat-like (video recipe: ).

Has anyone experience with it?
    If so, where do you buy it from?
    From what I can gather, Asian, and Caribbean grocers are the places to try, so I will be having a look tomorrow.
    http://veganglais.blogspot.com/

www.twitter.com/ichwillnichts

Default Re: Where to Buy Jackfruit?

Yeah I'd say you're right that you'd be more likely to get it in international grocery shops. If you try the recipe let us know how you get on!
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Yeah I'd say you're right that you'd be more likely to get it in international grocery shops. If you try the recipe let us know how you get on!
    I'm always interested in meat analogues: I use wheat gluten frequently; this seems to have a 'shredded pork' similarity.
    I'll be going to PAK foods, a local ethnic food store, tomorrow; i'll let you know if I find it.

cool.... i'm going to look for it too....the carnitas look amazing...and that girl is super cute. not that THAT has anything to do with anything...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Definitely Asian shops, Graham, if Pak don't have it then the Keralan shop on Hartshill Road definitely does, that's where I get mine from.

Quote EFCliz View Post
    Definitely Asian shops, Graham, if Pak don't have it then the Keralan shop on Hartshill Road definitely does, that's where I get mine from.
    Hi Liz,

thanks a lot.

I tried PAK, and the nearest they had was breadfruit.
    I walked past that ethnic food shop around the corner from you, across the road from The Bombay Club (is that the one you refer to?), on Tuesday, and on a whim, decided to stick my head in and ask; the guy immediately reached behind him and pulled a couple of tins out.

I now have some young, green jackfruit in water.
    what do you make with it? How do you find its consistency: meat-like?

Hi,

I had jackfruit in rural northern India. It is delicious, a very umame (savoury) flavour, although that might have just been the curry sauce it was in. The texture is stringy, sort of like chicken but not quite as chewy.

It's a beast to prepare, think the first time you tried to slice up a butternut squash without a decent knife!

I've never seen it in the UK, even in afro-asian foodstores in London. Maybe it doesn't travel well?

Quote muaethia View Post
    Hi,

I had jackfruit in rural northern India. It is delicious, a very umame (savoury) flavour, although that might have just been the curry sauce it was in. The texture is stringy, sort of like chicken but not quite as chewy.

It's a beast to prepare, think the first time you tried to slice up a butternut squash without a decent knife!

I've never seen it in the UK, even in afro-asian foodstores in London. Maybe it doesn't travel well?
    Hi,

my understanding is that there are different varieties: young - it's a vegetable; and mature/ripe: it's a fruit.
    It's said to be similar to tofu, in that it has a neutral flavour - it takes on the flavour of whatever it's cooked/seasoned with.
    It's also, apparently, a nightmare to cut a fresh one, as you say: there's meant to be loads of thick sap, etc.

The lady in the above video advocates using tinned, as tha's the best form...
    When I crack open my tin, i'll be sure to let you know how I find it.

I found it! it was at an asian market....really cheap too.

I made the recipe...it was interesting. I did like it though.... I suggest a lot less lime though.... it got kind of sour.... I also had to add brown sugar to try to cut back on the sourness.... I really think that jackfruit will be really good as a bbq pulled sandwich, i'm going to try that next.... the texture is really good, but a little mushy...

Quote missbettie View Post
    I made the recipe...it was interesting. I did like it though.... I suggest a lot less lime though.... it got kind of sour.... I also had to add brown sugar to try to cut back on the sourness.... I really think that jackfruit will be really good as a bbq pulled sandwich, i'm going to try that next.... the texture is really good, but a little mushy...
    Thanks for the review.
    With lemon and lime juices, i'm always cautious: you can always add more - but taking away...

I've had my tin for a while now, ha; i've got some tortillas that need using, so it might be put to use soon.

Default Re: Where to buy jackfruit?

^ I have no idea what made me add so much. I should know better.

I just bought a tin of jackfruit (young in brine), mainly out of curioisity. I know there is a recipe for carnitas in Vegan Eats World. I have never had carnitas and wouldn't mind trying them but I am wondering if anyone has any other recipes? Every vegan recipe I have seen with jackfruit is for carnitas.
    Houmous atá ann!

I simmered it in stock, spices, soya sauce, vegan oyster sauce, Marmite, pretty much every flavouring in my kitchen

It is nice on a sandwich, texture-wise it is quite soft once simmered.
    Houmous atá ann!

I just made a Thai green curry with jackfruit.

Quote Enchantress View Post
    I just made a Thai green curry with jackfruit.
    Sounds good
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: UK - Where to buy jackfruit?

It was very nice. Today, reheated, it was just as tasty, but it did look a bit chickeny.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Woo... I've never heard of Jackfruit before. I shall be keeping an eye on this thread to learn more.

Just dont buy a hugely expensive and utterly nasty durian fruit by accident. It took us weeks to get the smell out of our fridge. Thing is if you want some "meaty" fruit why not just eat some meat? I don't hear many carnivores who look for some slightly more carroty chicken...?

Quote rawolive View Post
    Thing is if you want some "meaty" fruit why not just eat some meat?
    That is an argument that omnis use all the time that I think is a logical fallacy. If something tastes vaugely like meat but is made of plants then what is the problem? It is harming no one. Unlike meat, which is an innocent dead body. Meat-eaters are just reflecting their own guilt or ignorance when they bring up that point. What I would say to omnis is 'if you like meat then why not eat plant-based, cruelty-free meat?'
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    That is an argument that omnis use all the time that I think is a logical fallacy. If something tastes vaugely like meat but is made of plants then what is the problem? It is harming no one. Unlike meat, which is an innocent dead body. Meat-eaters are just reflecting their own guilt or ignorance when they bring up that point. What I would say to omnis is 'if you like meat then why not eat plant-based, cruelty-free meat?'
    One hundred per cent agree. That argument has never made any sense to me.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

I bought a tin of jackfruit in the world food section in Sainsburys.

Randomly I found whole jackfruit at the farmers market in Boston. Canned I find it in asian grocery in Lincoln.

Quote rawolive View Post
    Thing is if you want some "meaty" fruit why not just eat some meat? I don't hear many carnivores who look for some slightly more carroty chicken...?
    I don't like the taste of meat and I find stuff like faux meat pies horrid (because of taste and worry that they will be meat!) but I like my own seitan, and sausages, due to the texture and because I can cook it like meat. And texture is something I like. Something savoury and chewy is nice. And a lot of vegetables aren't chewy.
    I looked for jackfruit in an asian shop near me, no joy, but it was a small shop. So will continue my hunt. Want to try it now!

I absolutely love jackfruit! Can't believe I've only just started cooking with it.
    www.paperbagblog.wordpress.com

I don't think I'll be buying any more canned jackfruit. Just checked the label and sodium benzoate is used as a preservative. Anything with Benz.... Causes me more than a little concern and this one is pointed to as a bad one.

I just found this online retailer: http://www.thai-food-online.co.uk/sh...9#.UtrZZCg4laU