Thread: Vegan in Colmar (France)

Default Vegan in Colmar (France)

Hi,

my boyfriend and I will spend three days in Colmar in the first week of november. I look forward to it, but I couldn't find any vegan restaurants there yet.

Maybe - even when the chance is slim - someone in this forum has been there and can give my advise which restaurants are vegan-friendly?

Hope it won't become a catastrophe because of our bad french skills...

Regards,
    teacup
    Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger but a heart soft as tofu.
    (Chinese proverb)

Default Re: Vegan in Colmar (France)

Hi teacup. I hope you and your boyfriend had a good time in Colmar. Me and my family (wife and 2 kids (6 and 8) are going to be in Germany and Switzerland and may spend a couple days in the Alsace region. We were thinking about staying in Colmar, but we were wondering about finding vegan food there and in the general vicinity. Can you tell me about your experience there and whether you found good vegan options? Any other suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-gbindy

If you find a supermarket like Carrefour or Auchan, they carry Sojasun which are soy based products, milk, yogurts, steaks, a few ready meals. Check the organic section as well, they have some pearls.

Hiya Aurore! Long time no "see".

I agree, French supermarkets are great and at this time of year you could probably survive by picnicking on what they have. (Am assuming the weather is a bit better in France than here, but if not a "picnic" in your hotel room is usually an option if you're discreet.)

Yep, had to take a pause and deal with some personal issues.

We're rotating with sun and high temperatures, then rain and much lower temperatures. It's a bit frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, had to take a pause and deal with some personal issues.

We're rotating with sun and high temperatures, then rain and much lower temperatures. It's a bit frustrating.

Well, sort it out could you, please, Aurore - I'm coming over in a couple of weeks and would like it to be dry but not too warm

Thanks Aurore, we will keep those in mind. Also, I think we are going to stay in Strasbourg instead of Colmar. It looks like it is a little bigger and it has a couple restaurants that are vegetarian (or at least vegetarian/vegan friendly). Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for Germany and Switzerland? When I was in Germany a couple years ago I had no problem with restaurants, but I don't know if Switzerland is similar. Thanks again.

Do you know yet where you'll be going in Germany? I haven't found non-vegetarian restaurants in Germany that easy but the large cities I've been to (Frankfurt, Munich and especially Berlin) had vegetarian and/or vegan restaurants, and also "ethnic" restaurants where you could get vegan food. The smaller places were a bit harder although most have health food shops (Reformhaus) and/or organic supermarkets (Biomarkt) which were very good for vegan groceries. In Berlin there is also a vegan supermarket, Veganz, which is lovely.

I haven't been to Switzerland for ages but I know there are at least 2 vegetarian restaurants in Zurich. I expect you know about http://www.happycow.net/ do you? That's very good although you do need to phone ahead to check places are still there.