Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the lamest excuse you ever heard as to why people eat meat?

Default What's the lamest excuse you ever heard as to why people eat meat?

A girl told me "everyone's body works different and not many people can go vegetarian". I think that's exactly what she said. I think that statement is a load of BS.

NOTE: If people want to eat meat then fine but I find it annoying when people try to justify it, unless it's health related since that situation is understandable but that's where I educate them!
    Last edited by TheHRchannel; Oct 8th, 2012 at 01:54 AM.

Default Re: What's the lamest excuse you ever heard as to why people eat meat?

Someone once told me they were "too old to change now"

It's something a la 'Vegans don't eat free-range eggs/honey, and I do - therefore I'm not a vegan and may therefore eat meat'.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Not exactly the same but someone I know went back to being omni following a year of a vegan diet, when I inquired as to why, they responded with: "No religions say we should be vegan, so there must be something wrong with it!"

"Meat tastes so good!"

Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger but a heart soft as tofu.
    (Chinese proverb)

"But what would we do with all the animals. We can't release them, that wouldn't be safe (in traffic)."

"i was anaemic while i tried to go vegan...i don't think my body liked it...though i did live on bread and crisps..."

Wow all of those take the cake for being beyond lame & inaccurate. As long as you're smart about your nutrients, anyone can be vegan.

The lamest excuse I've heard is "Animals are meant to be consumed by humans; that is why they were put on the Earth." I didn't know whether to laugh or turn red from the frustration. Oh and I've also gotten this one: "Humans were meant to eat animal products, why else would humans have consumed meat and milk for millions of years?"

TheHRchannel,

I have a good idea of what sort of population would say something of the sort. Some people think its anti-cultural as well...such far-fetched bs.

Crusty Rat

"They're bred to be killed".

BlackBow

That's what my dad/mom say haha. The worse I heard is from my sister and she said she can't go vegetarian because she lives with a Mexican family. And they supposedly eat a lot of meat.

Quote Maître View Post
    Not exactly the same but someone I know went back to being omni following a year of a vegan diet, when I inquired as to why, they responded with: "No religions say we should be vegan, so there must be something wrong with it!"
    Uh, Jainism?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism#Vegetarianism

They do realise that The Bible was written and influenced by the customs of the times, right? Plus re-interpretations and re-translations. Hence the shellfish and mixed fibre clothing stuff in Leviticus that most denominations completely ignore, and the avoidance of non-lent, non-Friday food restrictions in many denominations. That argument doesn't actually have any logic in it at all. The foolery, it burns!

Sorry, my research nerd destructo trigger is rather sensitive lately!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

BlackBow, that's funny. I am from a Mexican family and I've been vegan for a good while. Plus several members from my family are hispanic & vegan as well. I am sure we would be considered odd by Mexican standards. Lol.

Quote Maître View Post
    There's like so many from around the world! Obviously that person is making stuff up! :P

I think people who are Jainism and Buddhism are vegetarians and vegans. It might have to do with the religion but I don't want to do deep into it.

'But a hamburger tastes so good'.

That was the reason a colleague gave me on why she loved animals, but couldn't stop eating them. Unbelievable!

Well, at least she's honest.

Best regards,
    Andy

I have been vegetarian for 5 months and vegan for only 3 or so, but I've heard so many lame excuses until now
    - I can't give up meat(like they're addicted to it or something )
    - But steak/other part of a dead animal tastes sooo good...
    - If we don't them, there would be so many and they would spread so fast(no comment...)
    - But in the old times people used to eat them too(but we're no longer in that period!)
    - I am too used to it to give up now
    That's what I can remember for now. But I'm very sure that there will be much more of lame excuses .
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

Quote Kateee View Post
    I have been vegetarian for 5 months and vegan for only 3 or so, but I've heard so many lame excuses until now
    - But in the old times people used to eat them too(but we're no longer in that period!)
    Out of the 5 lame excuse you listed, I'd say this one is the dumbest excuse for someone to eat meat.

I HAVE to cook meat for my husband and kids. That's way I could NEVER be vegan.

Yup, that's what she said. Mind you, her kids are pretty much all grown.
    http://www.marystestkitchen.com <--that's the vegan recipe blog I write. Mostly comfort food. Sometimes I get into a healthy mood though.

Quote Mary View Post
    I HAVE to cook meat for my husband and kids. That's way I could NEVER be vegan.

Yup, that's what she said. Mind you, her kids are pretty much all grown.
    ummm hmmm yeah. If she is the one cooking that means she has complete control of the kitchen & meals... She could totally make her whole family veg w/o them even realizing it (if she does it right)!

My mum pretty much did that to us for a while when we were younger....eggplant lasagna, quinoa & kidney bean enchiladas, etc. We didn't even know! Plus she would give us little green vitamins the doc gave us. Goes to show how some people have VERY faulty thinking.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I NEED to have direct protein from an animal, others do not work and my doctor says so.....

When I start feeling weak I know I need Iron and a burger makes me feel better automatically (she didn’t clarify if she has ever tried non animal sources of Iron)

I like meat to much, it tastes good

Now the biggest thing I noticed with these people is they are actively not trying to know what happens to the animals. The pain and suffering is something they cannot deal with so rather not know.

Way to self delusional for me now, but I guess I did my own version at some point ;(

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Quote Ladygold View Post
    Now the biggest thing I noticed with these people is they are actively not trying to know what happens to the animals. The pain and suffering is something they cannot deal with so rather not know.
    LG
    That means that they are NOT innocent! If they are PURPOSELY trying to avoid what goes on in slaughterhouses, then they are already 110% guilty for contributing to the suffering of animals!

Quote TheHRchannel View Post
    That means that they are NOT innocent! If they are PURPOSELY trying to avoid what goes on in slaughterhouses, then they are already 110% guilty for contributing to the suffering of animals!
    Yes of course. That is the point

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Okay so the girl that basically said that not everyone can be on a plant based diet because our bodies work differently as she was only referring to humans added something else to her so called "beliefs". She supports the testing of animals because she thinks their bodies work the same as ours and yet she had the nerve to say that every human's body works differently. ><

What is this? I mean......I was speechless!

One of my pet hates is excuses, I wish people would just say "I like meat" or "it's too much effort" at least that suggests they are accepting responsibility for it.

I really hate when people acknowledge that they /should/ buy more ethical produce, but they choose not to for some silly reason. Probably the worst one I've heard is a Christian rationale that "animals were put on this earth as tools for people" which I find very strange given a lot of Christians are actually very conscious of consuming little and more ethical (higher welfare standards I mean) meat.

-There are two kind of people: People who is extremely carnivore, and people who is not, and I'm the first!
    -The animals exist because we eat them, if not they would disappear. Do you want that, eh, eh, eh?
    -I understand your reasons about animals, but there are a lot of issues that I have to worry first.
    -I love McDonalds' burgers!
    -I will stop eating meat when I see a lion eating a carrot.
    -The vegetables have feelings as well.
    -I'm meant to be carnivore. It's antinatural the opposite.
    -I can't deny thousands of years of evolution.
    -They don't suffer all that much.
    -All my family has animals, and they kill them and eat them, since I was a child. I see it completely normal and I can't change now.
    -In the end, the animals also kill and eat each other.
    "No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly." Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

Crusty Rat

Quote Vegaña View Post
    -I understand your reasons about animals, but there are a lot of issues that I have to worry first.
    Ah, that one winds me up. I've often heard "we should sort out human rights first, then animal rights" - generally from people who are doing nothing towards either cause. Even if you are a vegan who isn't into activism, you're doing more to help people than someone eating meat which has destroyed people's homes and the environment for animal feed and been raised and killed in conditions with no regard for health and safety.

Quote Ladygold View Post
    When I start feeling weak I know I need Iron and a burger makes me feel better automatically (she didn’t clarify if she has ever tried non animal sources of Iron)
    I want to know what planet this person is from That is absurd. Beans and leafy greens pack as much iron as meat (if not more). When my anemia would get bad as a child, out comes the bean juice. My mother would force me to drink bean juice and eat beans and leafy greens...not a greasy ass burger.

Quote Vegaña View Post
    All my family has animals, and they kill them and eat them, since I was a child. I see it completely normal and I can't change now.
    Determinism and inflexible cognitive ability is BAD news and so last century. Just like people change their hair color or their cars, they can change their lifestyle/eating habits.

Quote Vegaña View Post
    The animals exist because we eat them, if not they would disappear. Do you want that, eh, eh, eh?
    This one is my biggest pet peeve. It's like seriously...animals' only purpose for being on this earth is to be eaten. Really?...yeah I don't think so. It's like saying humans were just put on the earth to eat and destroy habitats.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Crusty Rat

I'd love it if all the overbred domesticated species became extinct. Maybe the land that would be saved from animal agriculture could be returned to woodland... ah, dreams...

"The best way to love animals is to eat them." Yup, that's a direct quote.

That one's a corker, MarieAnn. Did they elaborate at all?

Yes. They said you should always love what you eat. If you love animals you'll want to take them "in." Nothing shows love more! All I could say was "Glad you're not in love with me!"

Hmm, all that meat has obviously had a terrible effect on their reasoning ability!

When talking to a carnivore friend about going vegan they agreed how horrid animal slaughter is so I advised they watch Earthlings, they then said 'I don't want to know, i've got more important things to worry about'.
    Which is a tad lame, they are aware of these welfare issues but will convieniantly ignore them cos its not suitable. Everyone has worries, stresses and troubles at most times in their life!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of the responses on here! :S

I wonder if they ate their family then. What an idiot! lol

In response to MarieAnn's comment: I wonder if they ate their family then. What an idiot! lol

"we have to eat meat to survive"
    I said, look at me, I'm surviving. no answer to that

also many people say "its because we are on top of the food chain" idiots

I was once told (by a grown man) that there would be too many cows running wild if we didn't eat them.

I too have been present at those discussions where people debate whether people can be healthy without eating meat. I say, "Well, I am very healthy, thanks very much." No response. I wonder if they think I am lying, that I secretly eat chicken nuggets.

Quote deborah View Post
    I wonder if they think I am lying, that I secretly eat chicken nuggets.
    You obviously shut them up. They realized they lost the argument. I'm sorry, that line was so funny

I feel so bad for creating this thread but then again it's a great place to express how I really feel. XD

Number one would be the lame, lame "If we weren't meant to eat animals then why are they made out of meat?"

Number two has to be "I can't be a vegetarian because I don't have the right blood type."

Quote vegandingo View Post
    Number one would be the lame, lame "If we weren't meant to eat animals then why are they made out of meat?"

Number two has to be "I can't be a vegetarian because I don't have the right blood type."
    WOW! I never thought I see an excuse like that!

If you mean the blood type excuse then I have to agree with you. Around here I hear this excuse often.

http://www.dadamo.com/

I feel dirty just posting the link.

I had a long, long conversation with a guy yesterday. This is some of the things he said:

- If you don't think we should eat meat, then you don't believe in evolution. [I believe I said, "What?" And then talked about monkeys who are essentially herbivores. He told me what I said made no sense and then said the next statement, which is his idea of evolution.]
    - Europeans ate meat and passed it on to our grandfathers, and fathers, and so on. [I think I just laughed at this because he made meat-eating out to be some sort of genetic trait rather than a habit or cultural custom.]
    - Veganism is a new fashionable lifestyle that isn't actually good for you. [I explained Jainism and how they practice non-violence towards all living beings and that this is an old faith.]
    - Meat makes you strong and healthy. [I believe I said, "How about I stick to my plant-based diet and you go on a strict all-meat diet and we'll see who's still strong and healthy at the end?" He said, "Why would I do that?" I replied with, "If we really need meat to make us strong and healthy than how can I survive without it and how come you couldn't survive by just eating meat?"
    - I couldn't be Vegan because I like to cook. [Because Vegans never cook or don't know how to cook..]
    - You only talk about studies that have a vegan agenda so how can I believe that? [Uhh.. I only linked him to this chart and talked about The China Study.]

And there was more stupidity, but those were the arguments that stood out. Believe me, I stood my ground and had an answer for everything he said. But it was kind of incredible to see him try and prove to me that Veganism was bad. He had the most poor debating skills; As soon as I gave him a well-established answer, he would jump to another stupid, blanket statement that was founded in nothing but personal beliefs without acknowledging the validity of the previous answer that I gave him.

I also gave the guy a few opportunities to stop the conversation and suggested that we could both bow out gracefully, but he kept calling me stupid.. I was fairly bored and I can get pretty stubborn if I'm insulted, so I carried on with the dumbest conversation I ever had.

Quote Crusty Rat View Post
    I've often heard "we should sort out human rights first, then animal rights" - generally from people who are doing nothing towards either cause.
    Oh my goodness, I had this exact statement flung at me while I was having a debate about eating animals. Just that person's way of deflecting the topic so he didn't have to admit I had a serious point. I just wish I had the sense to respond with an argument like yours... still working out how to have a proper conversation with non-vegans about veganism. I'll get there!

cacahead, you must have the patience of a saint!

The 'if we didn't eat animals they would die out' excuse is lamer than the average intensive dairy cow living on monoculture grass harvested from vast expanses of land where most wildlife has been eliminated. Those cows end up so lame they can hardly walk, then they're shot. Why doesn't the stupid argument suffer the same fate?
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Either people who come up with that one about animals dying out are taking the p, or they haven't thought about it for even a minute. (Hello koko by the way, how's yer bin?)

Quote TheHRchannel View Post
    WOW! I never thought I see an excuse like that!

You know what I heard? There was a high school girl who lived down the road from me. She wanted so badly to be vegan, but is severely allergic to most vegetables out there. The doctors told her she could die if she didn't eat animal proteins. She tried to limit it as much as possible, but didn't want to starve to death. That poor girl. :-(