Thread: Tips on how to be a healthy vegan?

Default Tips on how to be a healthy vegan?

I wanted to post this thread to see if there are any vegan veterans willing to share health tips. I want to start taking vitamins/supplements to make sure that my body is staying healthy since I'm not getting the normal levels of calcium, etc. that a non vegan gets. However, I do eat vegan cheese, yogurt, ice-cream and drink almond milk. So basically my question is what vitamins/supplements should I start taking if any? Thanks!
    ~MeganTheVegan

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls. :)

Default Re: Tips on how to be a healthy vegan?

Megan,

allow me to suggest the book "Becoming vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, which is a very good ressource about what to look for.
    Also, I very much like the book "Eat to live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman about how to follow a plant-based, whole-food, low-fat nutrition. (Easier said: Eat your greens, and lots of fruits and vegetables!)

Best regards,
    Andy

Default Re: Tips on how to be a healthy vegan?

Hello Megan - yes it would be good to read a book about it as Andy suggests. There are also some good websites such as this one http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm though obviously some sites are less reliable.

FWIW I have been vegan for many years and the only nutrients I have made a point of taking in supplement form are vitamin B12 (which may be hard to get from a plant-based diet, though it's a controversial area) and vitamin D (your body can make this from the sun but I don't get enough sun!).

You're right that calcium is an important nutrient but there are quite a lot of plant-based sources of it, particularly leafy green vegetables.