Thread: Adopting a puppy from the Humane Society

Default Adopting a puppy from the Humane Society

I am considering adopting a doggy from the Humane Society in San Antonio. These little animals (cats, dogs, ferrets) are maintained in cages in a secure environment while they are in their care. They are usually abandoned animals with psychological stress and a history of abuse. My partner adopted a companion cat a year ago and he's been so good with us. He was psychologically distressed when we got him because aside from the abuse he had suffered through prior to getting to the Humane Society shelter, he had been returned and abandoned 3 times by others.

Anyway, my question is: Would it be wrong of me as a person and a vegan to adopt one of these abused dogs from the Humane Society in order to provide a better home for him/her?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Default Re: Adopting a puppy from the Humane Society

The forum has a companion animal section you can join (profile, join groups) and if you do you'll see a lot of discussion of the pros and cons of companion animals, and at least one poll.

From memory I'd say most of the people who have expressed an opinion on here are against buying animals but in favour of rescuing them, with some qualifications (e.g. about feeding them meat). Personally, I'd go for it, but do you have reservations yourself?

Indeed. Giving a rescue animal a good home is a practice suggested by even the most staunchest of abolitionists.

It is one thing to perpetuate the breeding of domesticated animals by buying a puppy from a "breeder", and a totally different thing to take on the responsibility for those animals that are already there.

Best regards,
    Andy

Quote harpy View Post
    some qualifications (e.g. about feeding them meat). Personally, I'd go for it, but do you have reservations yourself?
    I was hoping to adopt a younger doggy so he/she wouldn't resist the change in diet as much. I know the Humane Society shelter is a no kill shelter and they do suggest which foods to feed them. I might consult with our vet to see how I can transition the doggy into a plant-based diet without endangering their health. Yeah, I won't be buying the doggy, I'd be paying for the adoption fee and rescuing the doggy from the shelter to provide him/her with a better home. I don't have any reservations, per se. I don't like the idea of having an animal in captivity though. My cats are indoors but they seem to like it that way and they definitely do not prefer the outdoors. The doggy I am not so sure about. I would prefer to keep the doggy indoors for safety reasons & to protect them from the weather.

I am not particular about the breed, but I would prefer a younger and smaller doggy because of my space situation at home. I have a few rooms available where I could put a little doggy bed and play stuff.

Thank you Harpy & Andy!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I think dogs needs more space than cats. Do you have a fenced of garden or something where (s)he could run? Personally I wouldn't keep a dog indoors 24/7 assuming you are talking about an actual dog, and not one of those breeds that some women carry arround in their purse.

Quote CoolCat View Post
    assuming you are talking about an actual dog, and not one of those breeds that some women carry arround in their purse.
    That's funny :P No, I do mean an actual dog (mixed breed). I do not support the breeding of purse doggies for the purpose of showing it off. I just want to adopt a doggy to keep warm at home and accompany me on walks & jogs. The perimeter of the property is all fenced off and the backyard is separately fenced off for privacy from the road and neighbors. I want to keep (s)he indoors for the majority of the day, except for walks/run, play time and taking care of their business. My mother had adopted a white toy poodle while I was living at home before I moved out. He was kept indoors to sleep and stuff, but had like 3 hours in the afternoon to run and play.

Oh yeah, my partner and I spoil our cats :P They've gotten a little lazy lately. They play in their playground thing everyday, but they usually just chill on the perch or sleep on the couches/carpets.

@veganathlete did you adopt the dog yet? Pictures maybe?

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

Hehe, I convinced my partner into agreeing with me in adopting a doggy. It is added responsibility, but my school and work is less than a mile away and we definitely have the space and time...so we're gonna do it. I am visiting the center this weekend. The plan was to do it this past weekend, but my parents flew in to visit me (VERY unexpectedly) so I was away for the weekend. I contacted a volunteer member at the center and got some info so I am set. They have so many doggies and kitties, deciding is going to be a hard task. I am looking at two 4-year old doggies right now. Eli and Charlie (both male)...they don't have too many female dogs for adoption for some reason.

Looking forward to hearing more I'm thinking of doing the same thing. It has been saddening to read the stories of the dogs that have been given up by their previous families on the local animal rescue site
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

That's exciting news, VeganAthlete and Twinkle. Apparently the rescues are even more overrun than usual at the moment because of the recession (or whatever it is)

Crusty Rat

It's because people are twonks!

That aside, hope it all goes well for you. I'd like to adopt a dog someday but I don't think I'm in a fit position to do so right now. Plus I've got my hands full with our pair of rescue buns!

It could very well be the recession, Harpy. But I don't think that would explain dropping off your companion animal on the highway or in a shopping center When we adopted our second cat (Rocco), he was psychologically stressed and very timid. He had been dumped by twonks THREE times! WTF! He is adorable and very happy with us here. He has a playground, a nice kitty litter, a sexy companion and lots of food! I'll replace my profile picture with a picture of the doggie we adopt. I hope the process is fast. Dogs here have to be microchiped before leave the rescue site.

It's understandable CC I'm sure you would if you could right now. Bunnies?

There's never any excuse for dumping animals but I think a lot more people are also bringing their animals to shelters - not necessarily because they are twonks but sometimes because their circumstances have changed in ways they couldn't have predicted, and e.g. they have lost their homes.

It's interesting they knew poor Rocco had been dumped repeatedly - did he keep coming back to the same shelter then? Glad he struck lucky the fourth time anyway. One of ours was found living rough and captured by the rescue people, but they couldn't tell where she'd come from.

I think part of the problem is the rescue centres are full and have long waiting list. So if the rescue centre can't take your pet what do you do? I'm not saying I agree with what people do but it's really desperate at the moment. I also think the laws should be changed regarding renting in the UK. It's virtually impossible to find a landlord that will accept pets. They all want no children, non smokers, no pets, no DSS, Professional couples only, it makes me so mad.

That's true, Mymblesdaughter - and pets can do less damage and cause less disruption than a lot of people after all.

Dogs' Trust have a campaign about this but I don't know whether they're getting anywhere. http://www.dfordog.com/charities_dogstrust_lets.htm

Thanks Harpy, it's good that someone is trying to change things. As you say whether they get anywhere is another matter. I'm sure there would be lots more homes for these unwanted animals if things could be changed. I asked my landlords a couple of years ago if we could adopt a couple of cats from the cat protection. We had been no problem to them and had always paid our rent on time and it was an unfurnished house. They said no. It made me pretty angry, needless to say we moved out as soon as possible. We now own our flat and I have adopted two cats.

Rocco was originally dumped by the side of the road near the shelter. A volunteer saw him and brought him to the shelter. He was adopted three times and returned every time after a couple of days. The staff member at the rescue center told us the first family returned Rocco because they thought cat food was too expensive. The second people to adopt Rocco returned him because he was shedding hair. The third couple returned Rocco because he was not getting along with the other cats in the household. So yeah, there are varying circumstances as to why families and people in general can't keep their pets. But fortunately, he struck out the fourth time of adoption After they enter the rescue center in my city they are microchipped, so if they see that Rocco is somewhere where he shouldn't be or whatever, he is located and brought back to the site.

Sadly enough, rescue centers usually privilege animals who are pure bred. We did put soft claws on Rocco so he wouldn't scratch up the furniture and stuff. He takes them off after a while and we give them breaks to have the soft claws off.

Crusty Rat

That's awful that Rocco was dumped so many times and for such silly reasons (the third one is maybe understandable, I don't know much about bonding cats) but in a way, it's better that they "borrowed" poor Rocco than buying a "new" cat then dumping them. At least it sounds like Rocco is enjoying his modern life... ;D

We have two bunnies, Brian was found stray on a council estate and we adopted Esmerelda from Brinsley Animal Rescue (http://brinsleyanimalrescue.org/ - great place!) to keep him company. She was brought in as a "stray", though that's generally what everyone says when they bring in rabbits. She's very skittish, but I hope she'll learn to trust us with time.

It doesn't sound as if Rocco's rescue vetted the earlier adopters too rigorously - when we got ours it was a gruelling ordeal of questionnaires, home visits etc before we were allowed to have them (though fortunately having an untidy house wasn't regarded as a negative - no nice furniture to worry about here ). I suppose it's difficult for rescues to strike the right balance because being too rigorous can put some suitable people off. Glad things worked out for Rocco anyway.

Awe CR, that is so cute! I had a black pet bunny when I was younger. It is actually more difficult to take care of bunnies than it is to take care of cats and dogs. The cute little bunny was really difficult to catch when I let it play in the backyard. It drank a lot of water too...maybe because we lived in the south, idk. It's so awesome that you have bunnies!

I don't think they really did their work the first time around, harpy. They questionnaires lasted about maybe 2 hours or so...not too intensive. Considering all of our information was already on the database, they just pulled us up and looked at our house to make sure we did, in fact, have space for another kitty. I think the law limits 6 cats per household or something like that. There are actually laws governing how many pets and what types of pets one is allowed to keep in the US. Perhaps it is to prevent scenarios like the ones on the show Animal Hoarder!

Crusty Rat

Esme is a black dwarf lop :3 I haven't dared take her out in the garden yet, it's hard enough picking her up when she's inside (they have their own room - complete with double bed which they are often found smugly lying on!). Brian, on the other hand, follows us everywhere and tugs at our trousers like a toddler when he wants a cuddle. He seems quite put out to be confined to one room since Esme moved in, but that's where they're staying until they learn to poop in the litter tray...

That is super freakin' cute!!!! They sound adorable to have around. I love both their names too! Hmmm, out of curiosity...how do you go about training a bunny to use a litter tray?! My bunny would usually poop in the welcome rug...he would pee on a doggy pad (or on the floor), which was hectic....he was in one of the indoor storage rooms in the house so he had plenty of room to jump around and stay cozy.

Crusty Rat

Supposedly you can clicker train them the same as dogs, but it seems to be easier said than done. :S They wee in the litter tray mostly, but tend to also wee around it. Which in the long term leads to totally saturated carpet corners. D:

Quote Mymblesdaughter View Post
    . It's virtually impossible to find a landlord that will accept pets. They all want no children, non smokers, no pets, no DSS, Professional couples only, it makes me so mad.
    So So true! I was looking into adopting a cat, and we would have to pay £600 up front and another £400 upon leaving..... £1000, for adopting a cat?? its ridiculous. They said it was due to all the damage they do.... lol. So sadly will have to wait. Seems silly though to ostracise (did I spell that correctly??) many people from getting companion animals when so many people are renting these days.
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

Crusty Rat

So glad we didn't have to pay a deposit on our place! Our tenancy agreement actually says "no pets" but we've flagrantly ignored it... although we don't own pets, Bri and Esme are adopted companion animals.

Quote Crusty Rat View Post
    although we don't own pets, Bri and Esme are adopted companion animals.
    And that CR is your alibi! :P Landlords and high-end adoption centers make having a companion animal near impossible. My first poodle was already trained when my parents found him abandoned by the road. Which makes me wonder who would dump a house broken trained white toy poodle...we looked for fliers and went door to door looking for his owners but no one ever claimed him. We ended up keeping him and named him fluffy. We adopted a female white toy poodle to keep him company. They never mated though. She would actually try humping. Sorry I went off on a tangent.

It's amazing what some of these people do...they get puppies for the "novelty" of it and think they can just dump them into shelters after they grow tired of them. The shelter is great if you are looking for a companion animal. That's where my dog came from, too!