Thread: Diet and mental health

Crusty Rat

Default Diet and mental health

Hullo... I was wondering if anyone had any dietary advice which might help with mental health issues? I suffer from depression and anxiety and my partner is schizophrenic - we're both vegan and share all our meals. I've found that "conventionally" grown food (i.e. pesticides) affect me quite badly and the more organically I eat the better I feel. At first I thought I might have some kind of wheat/gluten intolerance but homemade organic bread seems to be ok - it could also be related to preservatives etc.

Err I'm drifting off... so:

1) Are there any specific foods which help mental illness?
    2) Are there any specific foods whcih exacerbate mental illness?
    3) Is it possible I'm deficient in something/intolerant to something which is making my illness worse?

Sorry this is so rambly, I can't seem to make sense. Help please? I think I feel best when the food I eat is organic and raw, but the only thing I can do well is bake and make puddings so any easy +simple raw recipe ideas would be much appreciated. Preferably in season with UK veg... am I asking too much? >.< I'll shut up now.

Default Re: Diet and mental health

Hello CR - I haven't read a link between pesticides etc and mental health but as these are newish substances it might not have been discovered (or insert conspiracy theory of own choice!). The main links I have read about between mental health and food are to do with:

(a) need to keep your blood sugar steady
    (b) need to get right balance of fats (EFAs but definitely not TFAs/hydrogenated oils - expect you avoid those anyway)

Have you seen this report? http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publi...feeding-minds/ It's not new, and not done from a vegan standpoint, but it is based on peer-reviewed journal articles and does have sections on schizophrenia and depression. Hope you find something that helps.

Crusty Rat

Thanks, wow, I've got a lot of reading to do! Good thing I've got snazzy new glasses

Is there a vegan source of "tryptophan"? It's mentioned in the things-that-help-depression bit but only lists animal sources.

Yes, the wikipedia article on tryptophan gives quite a lot of vegan sources http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan#Dietary_sources

I'm sure tryptophan came up here recently but I can't find the thread at the moment.

Crusty Rat

"It is particularly plentiful in chocolate"

Now you're talking! I should be OK then

Hello CR,

Sort of coincidental that you ask about vegan sources for tryptophan. I've been having problems sleeping and I recall from my neurobiology classes and neurophysiology that trypotophan is great for relaxation, sleeping, regulation of your circadian rhythm and of course the release of our endorphins. I came across a list of vegan foods that are high in tryptophan.
    Beans, whole grains (rice), lentils, chickpeas, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and miso all have tryptophan. You can try snacking on whole grain crackers with peanut butter or hazelnut butter (i.e., nutella, which has chocolate too).
    Avoid certain food colorings, refined sugars, refined flours. Flaxmeal has some properties of omega 3s, which helps brain functioning and health. Almonds are great as well. I'll look through my books and see if I find anything else that may be of help!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Crusty Rat

Thanks, that's really helpful. Maybe that's why I love chickpeas so much!

Bananas, fruit, porridge (brown rice or oats), veggies, bakes potato, peanut butter, spinach, whole grain crackers and foods with omega-3, omega-6 and of course, niacin. These last three play a vital role in maintaining brain health. Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, fizzy drinks, cakes, fast food and all sugary high-glycemic foods! These are big NO-NOs!

I love chickpeas! These are foods help alleviate and prevent mental health problems. The last 3 (omegas and niacin) also serve to prevent Alzheimer's disease.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

not a chef yet

Just from personal experience I've found that too much sugar or caffeine, or not enough fruits and veggies will have a really negative impact on my mood. Pretty much what others have said. Ground flax may be helpful, too.

Crusty Rat

Quote VeganAthlete View Post
    Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, fizzy drinks, cakes, fast food and all sugary foods! These are big NO-NOs!
    Caffiene I already avoid, it gives me headaches and crazy mood swings (I have a few "straight-edge" friends who are total caffiene abusers, makes no sense to me - does me more harm than a spliff ever did!). I don't buy alcohol although I do brew it, it's stopped my problems with habitual drinking whilst not forcing me to face up to a beerless future. I do have the very occassional lemonade and I love making cakes... oh cakes... Fast food conjures up foul images in my head. I don't think I have masses of sugar but I don't think I'm uber-healthy either, though healthier than a lot of people around me. I'm not sure what high-glycemic means?

How do you make crackers? I have a friend who makes a lot of dehydrated things but I don't have a dehydrateythingy. I've stopped buying bread from the shop since I realised how bad it makes me feel but now I'm out of bread and can't be arsed to make more I found some linseeds and sunflower seeds in the cupboard and rolled little blobs of peanut butter in them instead XD it was nice though and I felt pretty good although a bit headachey... the seeds were pretty old though, they also weren't organic but I couldn't say whether or not to blame that since one of the packets was several months out of date... Now I understand why my parents are so obsessed with geeting me to eat seeds. I think I've read a load of nutritional advice, thrown it out the window upon discovering a load of vegan junk food and now it's... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Ve40B6UEQ

Today our lass bought us a big bag of brown basmati, a pack of smilk, whole tahini and some of this... http://www.lembas.co.uk/_product.asp?catid=5846 (all organic). All seems to fit in well I think. Are there any problems assosciated with soy? Some stuff mentioned soy beans as a good source of something-or-other but does smilk processing damage the nutrient values? It's a possible culprit for some of my headaches/nauseous feelings but I do seem to be very sensitive to pesticides and other chemicals so I'll see how the organic stuff goes.

Eek bit of a ramble there...I do think I'm feeling better already though.

I agree with all of the above, but for me personally, I also take Higher Nature Serotone 5HTP (which apply with the following: dairy free, gluten free, lactose free, low salt, not tested on animals, no added sugar, vegan, vegetarian, wheat free and yeast free), as well as being careful with my diet.

As someone who suffers with both depression and insomnia, I have found the capsules to really have helped with both my moods and my sleep.

Obviously, I am not a doctor or of a medical profession, and obviously one thing might not work for another person.

It's odd because I have been researching the same thing lately, since I have issues with depression/anxiety and have had almost a complete alleviation of symptoms. It was especially prominent when I cut soda out of my diet.