Thread: Mince pies from a supermarket?

Default Mince pies from a supermarket?

Hi, has anyone investigated the offerings this year? I've been in Tesco and it looked like the value ones are OK but I would like to get some that look slightly more upmarket as I'm sending them abroad. Showing Italians example of trad English Xmas fare - and don't want to feel a complete skinflint. Thanks

Default Re: Mince pies from a supermarket?

The only one's I can find are the Asda ones, and they only look marginally more upmarket:
    http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...questid=200401

How about the villiage bakeries - http://www.village-bakery.com/index....mart&Itemid=45

OOooh yes, the Asda ones have a slightly more stylish box and pretty bits on the top of the pastry. Better than the cheapest of the cheap stylee that the Tesco ones have.The village bakery look good but I need a long shelf life for these - it takes a l o n g time for things to get through the Italian postal system. Will phone the village bakery people though to ask them if they have any that will still be good for almost Christmas.....eek... where did the months go to get here so quickly!

Thanks Firestorm

Waitrose mini star mince pies look okay. http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...tar+mince+pies

Hi Gattona - don't think I knew you were in Italy at the moment, lucky you! M&S have had some vegan mince pies in previous years but I don't see them on their current (aargh) list, although their mincemeat is. (Actually that prompts the thought that mincemeat is meant to be fairly easy to make and that might work out cheaper than having something shipped to Italy - never attempted it myself needless to say, but friends have.)

ETA ah, have finally switched on brain and realised that you are probably in London but wanting to ship the mince pies to people in Italy! Sorry. Will try and have a look in M&S.
    Last edited by harpy; Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: leaping to conclusions

sainsbury's "free-from" mince pies are vegan although the pastry is a bit hard...the asda ones are the winners i think!

Quote Gattona View Post
    OOooh yes, the Asda ones have a slightly more stylish box and pretty bits on the top of the pastry.

Which Asda ones are you looking at? The only vegan looking ones are the smartprice ones, and they had fairly plain tops as far as I could tell?

I'd go with the Waitrose pies myself, they look cute.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

This is beginning to look like a big parcel of UK goodies to send, thanks for all your help.

Yes Harpy, I am indeed still sadly in London, not Italy. If I was there I would make mincemeat and do it myself, it is quite easy as your friends say.

Enchantress, those Waitrose ones do look good, might have a look if I get a chance this weekend but I've already been to Asda and got a couple of boxes.

Twinkle, these are the Asda ones I got and on re reading and checking yet again the only possibly dubious item is 'flavourings' in the mixed spice. My fingers are extremely crossed now as we had a dozen yesterday to celebrate a birthday. http://tiny.cc/p18qo The packets I have to risk in the Italian post (send to Parma, go via Sicily Venice and Milan and Rome then end up in final destination if you are lucky 4 weeks later) have a use by date in January. Goodness knows how they make them last.

A morbid thought. If we eat lots of preservatives during our lifetime, do our bodies take longer to decay?
    Last edited by Gattona; Nov 19th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling :(

Quote twinkle View Post
    Which Asda ones are you looking at? The only vegan looking ones are the smartprice ones, and they had fairly plain tops as far as I could tell?
    These are the one's. I think the AFS listed them as being vegan a while ago and the ingredients look vegan, not even the "may contain traces of milk" warning. I will contact them anyway just to make sure

No artificial colours flavours or hydrogenated fat Suitable for vegetarians Crumbly, golden shortcrust pastry packed with juicy sweet vine fruits.

Ingredients

Mincemeat Filling (49%) [Sugar, Bramley Apple Purée [Bramley Apple, Preservatives (Sulphur Dioxide, Sodium Metabisulphite, Potassium Sorbate)], Raisins (17%), Glucose Syrup, Sultanas (8.4%), Humectant (Vegetable Glycerol), Apricot Filling [Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Apricot Purée, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Citric Acid, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates)], Dextrose, Candied Mixed Peel [Orange Peel, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Lemon Peel, Sugar, Citric Acid, Preservative (Sulphur Dioxide)], Vegetable Oil, Currants (1.7%), Mixed Spice [Cinnamon, Coriander, Caraway, Fennel, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, Turmeric], Barley Malt Extract, Treacle, Acetic Acid, Citric Acid, Flavouring] , Wheat Flour , Vegetable Oil , Glucose Syrup , Sugar , Dextrose , Salt , Raising Agents (Diphosphates, Sodium Bicarbonate) , Preservative (Potassium Sorbate) .
    Other information

Dietary Information

Suitable for Vegetarians.

Allergy Advice

Contains Barley. Contains Gluten. Contains Wheat. May Contain Nuts. Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites. May contain traces of nuts.

Additives

Free From Artificial Colours. Free From Artificial Flavours.

Oh cool, I missed those.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple