Thread: Calcium levels

Default Calcium levels

Hi everyone!
    Has anyone had problems with Hypercalcaemia (excessive calcium in blood) since becoming vegan? I have and I'm wonderinghowon earth I could be getting too much calcium. I guess soy milk can have calcium added but is it really enough to cause hypercalcaemia?

Default Re: Calcium Levels

Hello. A relative had this but it was due to a parathyroid problem (easily fixed by minor surgery). I thought that was the most usual cause. I've never heard of it being related to having too much calcium in the diet. Did the doctor say it was to do with diet?

Hi! Yeah that's what the doctor thought it would be but it turns out my parathyroid is working fine. She said the next common cause is malignancy but that we should rule out extra dietary intake first and do another blood test in a month to check my levels again. She said it could possibly be because my soy milk has extra calcium in it, although I didn't think this was likely as I dont have more than a glass a day and calcium is usually harder to get on a vegan diet. Anyway, lets hope it is extra uptake of calcium because the other reasons are too scary.

Hi! I was just reading an article the other day about how taking too much vitamin D supplements can cause hypercalcaemia. Do you take vitamin D? From what I read taking vitamin D causes you to absorb more calcium than usual.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! nathanjh13's Avatar

Default Re: Calcium levels

Hi all, first post here be gentle. In the interests of calcium, every article I read that mentions a good calcium source for vegans never mentions lemons.

I've used lemon water for years in cases of indigestion and they seem to be like a natural Rennie, the indigestion just dissapears. The mineral content is calcium, magnesium and potassium and all in enormous quantities next to other minerals they test for.

I apologise to the op that this doesn't directly address your query but the thread title spurred me on, and I'd hope it's at least relevant.

Best wishes to all.