Thread: veggie going vegan

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

Default veggie going vegan

I need some help from my Vegan friends please
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years but want to take the final step and become Vegan but need some help

can anyone recommend companies in the uk who sell vegan toiletries and makeup
    and any other advice anyone has i would be very grateful

Sue XXX

Default Re: veggie going vegan

Hi!

Toiletries:
    Superdrug label most of their own brand stuff as vegan
    Lush do a lot of vegan stuff as well I think
    All Original Source stuff is vegan; you can buy it in pretty much any supermarket

Make up:
    Barry M (not everything though- check their website)
    Urban Decay (as above)
    MAC (although they don't mark anything on their website. Apparently you can email them to get a vegan product list, although I did this over two months ago now and still haven't received a reply! :/ )

That's all I can think of right now. There's probably loads of smaller brands in health food shops that I don't know the names of too.

Good decision Sue!

Holland and Barrett sell vegan toiletries - there's a brand called Dr Organic that's mostly vegan (check individual packages to be sure). For makeup, you could look at Beauty Without Cruelty - available in some independent pharmacies as well as from the site sarranity mentioned, and also (I think) Animal Aid's website. Oxfam shops sell Faith In Nature shampoo etc which is vegan. It is not too hard to find vegan toiletries actually, and London is a good place to look!

My other advice would be just to go for it - you could start phasing in vegan meals and other products as you find suitable ones, it doesn't have to be "sudden death"

leedsveg

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The Co-op does quite a few own brand, suitable for vegan, toiletries.

You need to make the changeover at a pace you feel comfortable with but at least with living in (or near?) London, you're at the best place in the country for finding "all things vegan" and for meeting other vegans.

Good wishes

Leedsveg

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

thanks for all the replies xxx

Veganway

It seems a lot easier in the uk, I am a veggie and I am using this forum to learn as much as I can about becoming a vegan. I am finding it harder here in France, especially going out for meals, but I will get there.

Hi Veganway - yes I've found eating out in France a bit challenging too, especially in the more traditional French restaurants. Lebanese places can be handy if you have any of those near you. Your supermarkets seem to have quite a lot of soy stuff though don't they? All the best

Quote Veganway View Post
    It seems a lot easier in the uk, I am a veggie and I am using this forum to learn as much as I can about becoming a vegan. I am finding it harder here in France, especially going out for meals, but I will get there.
    You can get vegan staples in pretty much every country, grains/pulses and fresh fruit/veg, the only difference I can really imagine would be the processed stuff or meat substitutes but they are hardly essentials and a lot of vegans never even touch them anyway. Of course eating out is another matter but I wouldn't really say it's very good here in the UK either, it's already really expensive to go out for meals and the vegetarian/vegan options are always even more overpriced.

leedsveg

Quote Maître View Post
    ...and the vegetarian/vegan options are always even more overpriced.
    Hi Maitre. Sometimes they can seem to be more overpriced but how do you know that they are "always" so? Just been to a Wetherspoon's pub in Shipley near Bradford and had a big plate of chips with baked beans plus a freshly brewed coffee, the total cost being £3.03 for a vegan meal. It was hardly cordon-bleu of course but I'd hesitate to call it "even more overpriced" than the omni meals, or even "overpriced" at all.

Leedsveg

(On another note, the couple sitting at the next table turned out to be cattle farmers. The husband was well entrenched is his omnivorism but his wife seemed to be quite receptive to vegetarianism.)