Thread: Soy and male health

Mr. Zamboni

Default Soy and male health

I eat a lot of Tofu. Drink a fair amount of soymilk and would say that the majority of my protein comes from soy. I have been out of a relationship for a long time, but eventually got involved with someone who I like a lot. I have read a lot about how Soy can impact a male's libido, at times causing impotency. I am 29. I have had some problems with this before. There seems to be two opposing schools of thought when it comes to consuming soy. Does the phytoestrogen really make that much of an impact? I am very active, I drink alcohol some but ride my bike almost an hour a day. If anyone else out there noticed a difference when they stopped eating soy, or eats a lot of soy and hasn't noticed a difference please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Soy and Male Health

Hi Mr. Zamboni,

I have had the same concern for a few years now too. I can tell you that my libido has not changed. Granted, I've been a veggie since puberty. I don't have a problem with size, function or drive. If anything, I am like an energizer bunny! I consume a fair amount of soy as well, but not what most would consider a lot. I It will take me about a week to finish a block of tofu and about two weeks to finish a Silk soy milk container.I also consume soy protein isolate and phytoestrogens from edamame, Clif Bars, boca patties or soy cheese. Although I eat these in moderate amounts. Try getting your protein from other legumes or whole grains. Almond milk tastes great and it's good for you!

What could cause a decreased sex drive is fatigue, stress, calorie deficiency, vitamin/mineral deficiency, mental health, etc.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Mr. Zamboni

Thank you. I guess I wonder how much soy is to much. I eat about 7 1 pound blocks a week. A lot of boca burgers, and maybe two cartons of Silk a week. Besides that I eat brown rice and green beans, peas, sometimes whole wheat bread and occasionally a vegan muffin. Maybe I should eat more Seitan I just hear bad things about wheat as well.

Hmm. Chinese have been known to consume large quantities of soy products for 5,000 years, and I have not heard about them being extinct due to lost male libido. Actually (population-wise) they seem to be doing just fine

I find this article balanced and informative: http://www.johnrobbins.info/blog/what-about-soy/

Best regards,
    Andy

PS: I eat lots of tofu and drink liberal amounts of soymilk, but I could not observe any diminishment in that department, either.

Quote Andy_T View Post
    Actually (population-wise) they seem to be doing just fine
    Andy, you are too funny.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)