Thread: Cancer scare leads to massive food recall!

Jobey

Default Cancer scare leads to massive food recall!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4277677.stm

Not vegan related as such and not likely to affect people here but interesting and worth checking you don't have anything contaminated in your cupboards just in case. Quite scary how widespread contamination from one source can become in todays food system
    Full list of contaminated products: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp...2_05_sudan.pdf

I have looked at the product list most of them are bad stogey meat laden ready meals, TBH I never spotted a vegan product on the list...If their is one perhaps it could be posted here to keep us all up to date.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

The whole thing makes for very scary reading, I have family and friends that I know will have eaten some of the crap on that list over the last year or so - I just hope it's not done anyone any lasting damage
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

PinkFluffyCloud

This is terrifying - once I can grow my own food I will live by this philosophy - 'If I can't grow it, I won't eat it!'.

i don't want to sound complacent, but i think it's pretty unlikely any vegan products will be affected by this particular scare, as the poison is believed to have come from a contaminated batch of non-vegan Worcestershire sauce. but yes this is a danger of any processed food really
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I understand how you feel Poison Ivy, and I have those feelings regarding my family who eat crappy food all the time. But nothing I can do about it; they think I'm weird to have a vegan lifestyle when chicken tastes so good (yuk!).
    Eve

tails4wagging

Would it taste so good, eve, if they knew it probably had water and steroids and antibiotic crap in it???.

I felt quite chuffed, when I told my meat eating cousin that as a vegan I should be ok as none of that list applies to me.

Top of the list was Aldi's vegetable soup which I used to have for lunch almost every day! I just hope none of the ones I've eaten were affected. To be honest, I don't think I'll bother buying it again even when it's 'safe' to eat, I hate all this processed cr*p but it's just good to get a whole meal for 28p when you don't have a lot of money.

My housemates have been telling me its in the Asda brand baked beans and tinned spaghetti that I eat, apparently its says on the trading standards web page. just thought Id say cos it might be creeping up in other similar vegan food things
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

I have looked and can not see any ASDA beans on the list please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Nope, can't see any Beans/Spaghetti on the list (there's an Asda Three Bean Pasta Bake but no baked beans - the pasta bake's probably not vegan anyway - bet it's got cheese on it!)
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

I do buy ASDA luxery mixed beans in tomatoe sauce for making "snaffs quick 3 bean chilli (made with fresh chillis of course) with soysages hotpot......its kind of Coranation Street meet El Gringos

I wasnt completely sure anyway, so maybe we can be a bit reaassured. probably worth the look anyway, thanks to you all
    www.myspace.com/natureworks1

my mother rang me on monday to tell me there was a full list of recalled items in the national press. she knows i do a lot of my bulk shopping in asda, so, quote mum "theres loads of items from asda in there!"

i buy a paper and look at the list....er..does she really think i buy or eat ANYTHING from that list????