Thread: Textured soy protein

Question Textured soy protein

I suppose more active members have seen plenty of threads focusing on soy, but I'll give it a go too.

I just read this interesting article on soy and its health benefits/disadvantages and most importantly all the negative myths (that at least in my mind still lingered quite alive) regarding soy. Link here.

I was just wondering about whether textured soy protein eg. something like this is regarded as less processed (such as tofu, miso, tempeh, etc.) or more processed (soy cheeses, soy meats, etc.) soy. At times I tend to base quite a lot of my meals on textured soy and was wondering whether I should consider changing back to tofu and introduce myself to tempeh... (In the end of the article, as a conclusion, it's said that less processed soy products are a safer bet.)

Default Re: Textured soy protein

Not sure if there's a correct answer to that, but TVP sounds quite highly processed to me from reading about the manufacturing process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein I regard tofu, tempeh etc as more "natural" products, and they're certainly more traditional. I think some people think tempeh is particularly good because it's fermented?

That's a pretty interesting read. The link to Dr. McDougall is pretty neat too. I think this is a controversial issue. Most nutritionists and scientists go back and forth on this. I keep in my kitchen tofu, soy milk, defatted soy flour, tvp, boca burgers, soy cheese, and of course soy beans and edamame. Edamame is delicious but causes intestinal discomfort. I have about 10 lbs of soy beans left....i really can't eat them very well...to heavy. soy cheese is processed but a little sprinkled on your food shouldn't cause harm. Same with TVP. I doubt a little TVP will cause you much harm as long as your diet is varied and balanced. I eat a little less than 1/4 cup of tvp with lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, black beans and brown rice...and I only eat it once a week or so.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Quote harpy View Post
    I think some people think tempeh is particularly good because it's fermented?
    Tempeh is awesome! It's inexpensive and delicious with veggies, beans and brown rice or in enchiladas or a baked potato. Again, I think tempeh is sort of "heavy"...as in you probably won't eat too much in one sitting or on a weekly basis (as long as your diet is varied)!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Too bad. I too did skim through that wikipedia page but somehow hoped that someone would come up with something that'd make it okay to eat TVP lmao. I really like the dishes i make of it. Maybe 50g of it rationed out to two or three days a week wont be that harmful... Or maybe 25 grams. Then rest being tofu, tempeh, soy milk and soy yoghurt. In the summer I eat significantly less soy because I depend more on fresh veggies in my cooking but they aren't as good (especially here in the north) now that the winter is coming... I really should make tempeh though. I've only heard good things about it, but still haven't even tried it.